Pendoggett Road - The Southern Gone West.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium

I had this idea about installing scale point rodding…. Perhaps I should be working in 7mm scale! Nothing like a challenge!

IMG_0672.jpeg.e2051c4bb1e96738280eec01487ea01f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread Trevor, always enjoy your work and Burngullow was nice layout and as always a good read. But this one I’m enjoying too great work so far.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2024 at 15:51, TrevorP1 said:

I had this idea about installing scale point rodding…. Perhaps I should be working in 7mm scale! Nothing like a challenge!

IMG_0672.jpeg.e2051c4bb1e96738280eec01487ea01f.jpeg

I managed to build OO rodding with Ratio kits. These Modelu products are definitely of interest here. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I managed to build OO rodding with Ratio kits. These Modelu products are definitely of interest here. 

At the moment I've bought the rodding rollers from Modelu and the cranks from Wizard/MSE. My idea being that I can solder the rodding to the brass cranks and then just thread the rollers onto the rodding. Just a small number of parts to see how things go. My signalling diagram is based on Port Isaac Road but I've had to work out the rodding layout. So far it's enjoyable but time consuming. A voyage of discovery!

First I want to install the equipment that is at the side of the platform wall so that the second platform can be built. A lot of Burngullow Lane was built during the various Covid lockdown situations. I bashed on too quickly and one of the things I didn't take into account was the point rodding. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

At the limits of my eyesight, soldering skills and S&T knowledge! The first stage in point rodding. It’ll probably make an S&T engineer cry so luckily most of this will be hidden from any normal viewing angle. The main thing is it’s a secure start for the rest. 

Soldering on some n/s rodding wire and threading on the Modelu rollers is next. I have some scale size plastic rod to go under the track.

Slowly going cross eyed…

IMG_0699.jpeg.deaa47250528dadf91ae6d884ae22eb8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few of my efforts with Ratio plastic kits and later square-section rodding.  Including a facing point lock fitted and part-rodded. 

The rodding cranks beneath the platform and beneath the board crossing by the signalbox.  Each part - some of them tiny - is separate.  

IMG_1818.jpeg.19b0b10e4fc787132d5a5e5a36e3a750.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg.40d703be5d622cc0ffa9a060ffc19ae7.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg.d0e9168affc029c95f773016f2223f75.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg.8b49b1147ce7f82012c8b0173380b37f.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A quick update on the point rodding. At one end I've now soldered two lengths of N/S wire onto the cranks and threaded on some Modelu rollers. All good so far, especially when I remembered to use low melt to fix the wires!

Having been undecided on whether to use Modelu compensators or make up the Wizard ones I had a go at assembling the Wizard ones from the etch. Mmmm.... I might try again but I found this bit too much. Thinking cap on about this. As this small section was a bit of a try out I didn't purchase the 3-roller frames for the other direction but now I feel the job is a 'goer' I'll do this and order a pack of Modelu compensators as well.

A pack of Evergreen strip is due to arrive soon for the roller bases so I'll be getting on with this next. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a 'bigger' job to tackle! Ah yes, the lawn needs mowing...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I just wondered if anyone would be interested in these bushes which I’m soon going to install on the layout. Made from string, static grass, various flocks and a bit of patience. No credit due to me for the method but by following Boomer Diorama on YouTube. Link below.

IMG_0712.jpeg.dad5cd1498ba9eb50671a0a152c4eefe.jpeg

Bushes

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1