Pendoggett Road - The Southern Gone West.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Time for a spring flight of fancy with another version of the history of the railways of Cornwall in a parallel universe... 🤔

In 1894, with progress made on finishing the North Cornwall Railway, a parliamentary notice was issued for a line from Padstow to Newquay and Truro, with running powers over the GWR to Falmouth and Penzance. There were plans for stations at St Eval, Mawgan (for Newquay) and St Newlyn.

The GWR objected fiercely to the proposals and years were lost in argument. Inevitably the great and good of the area lost their appetite for what would have been an expensive project. Plans were finally killed off by the events of 1914 - 18.

After the hostilities there was renewed interest in connecting Padstow and Wadebridge direct to Truro. Col. Holman Stevens was working on the nearby North Devon and Cornwall Light Railway and his advice was sought. Eventually the decision was made to extend the Ruthern Bridge branch to what was planned as a small terminus in Truro. The line was to be known as the Wadebridge and Truro Railway.

The GWR saw the advantage for them in having a potential shorter direct route from Truro to the north coast. An agreement was soon reached for them to build a connection to the new line at Truro. The LSWR protested but as the GWR had access to Wadebridge via Bodmin since 1883 this was to little avail. From the outset the W&TR was operated by the Great Western and with only months of independent operation the line was completely absorbed into the Swindon empire at the grouping.

War came again in 1939 with a huge rise in traffic for the several airfields in North Cornwall. When the D Day preparations began it was immediately realised that Cornwall with it's many embarkation points and bases, not to mention Falmouth Docks,  could be almost cut off by bombing in the Plymouth area or worse, the loss of the Royal Albert Bridge.

The importance of  W&TR line was obvious. American engineers (and dollars!) were employed on a project to upgrade the W&TR, plus the Southern Railway north Cornwall route, to GWR red restriction so that the biggest engines could be employed when needed. The Americans also built a chord outside Wadebridge creating a triangular junction so that through traffic would not need to reverse in the station area. A new  physical connection was built at Launceston. There were a few speed restrictions for the heaviest engines but this mattered little compared to the alternative.

After nationalisation the line became part of Western Region and a service from Truro direct to Launceston was started. However, to serve Wadebridge station a reversal and run round was still required. The journey was tedious and the trains never well patronised. Even with the coming of DMUs and an easy reversal at Wadebridge it was debatable whether the workings covered costs even in summertime. 

Nevertheless, the connection built at Wadebridge had proved its worth during the war. Further, peacetime through goods trains such as the Wenford Bridge to Fremington china clay workings could avoid Wadebridge. It was still a useful diversionary route and on several occasions named Western Region Expresses were seen to pass through Pendoggett Road and Delabole… 

Edited by TrevorP1
typo
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Well that’s a back story.  You have the gift of a fertile mind, Sir!

Paul.

Fertile mind - the good lady calls it a head full of useless information! 🙂 The story is a mixture of fact and fiction, with a little of the fiction inspired by @St Enodoc !

More very soon with the whys and wherefores, more thoughts and very importantly, practical progress. Suffice, for now, to say that it all started with a potential house move that never came off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So, briefly(!), the reasons for the above woffle.  Around November/December of 2022 we began to consider moving to Cornwall. This was something that we had never dreamed we’d want to do but we had to scratch the itch and make a firm decision one way or the other. Naturally there was little point in doing anything on Burngullow Lane because it was never intended to be transportable. 

Over the next few months it became abundantly clear that an average sized house in our part of North Wales does not come near to financing even a small property in Cornwall. Quite honestly, even if we could have financed a move to a smaller house there, our consciences would not have allowed us due to the difficulties being encountered by local folk trying to get on the property ladder. Indeed we personally know people in Cornwall who are experiencing housing difficulties. We were prepared to be ‘incomers’ but not the local pariahs! 

While all this was happening I completely lost the mojo about Burngullow Lane, partly because I had been considering future projects and ideas but also because I realised I had so much stock in cassettes or boxes I only saw, let alone used, now and again. What was the point of it all? 

The proof of this was last May when a pal visited for a running session after 50 odd coaches and several engines had been boxed up ready to sell. He had no idea and we had a brilliant running session. I’ve kept everything that has a personal connection, a few favourites and the goods stock but the rest has gone.

The long and the short is we are still in North Wales, still visiting The Duchy as much as possible but I have a new project with several lessons learned. The main one being, ‘small(er) is beautiful’. And yes, I have gone to the 'dark side' but not entirely…

So here is Pendoggett Road, loosley based on Port Isaac Road but somewhere between between Camelford and St Kew Highway. I resisted the idea of calling it Portwenn Road even though the good lady says I would make a good stand in for the legendary Doc! Pendoggett is a wonderfully named hamlet not far from Port Isaac.

More soon.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Pendoggett is a wonderfully named hamlet not far from Port Isaac.

I recall as a teen walking up through the fields from Port Gaverne to the Cornish Arms for a pint. I have a feeling railway author Peter Coster lives close by. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

So, briefly(!), the reasons for the above woffle.  Around November/December of 2022 we began to consider moving to Cornwall.

Over the next few months it became abundantly clear that an average sized house in our part of North Wales does not come near to financing even a small property in Cornwall. Quite honestly, even if we could have financed a move to a smaller house there, our consciences would not have allowed us due to the difficulties being encountered by local folk trying to get on the property ladder. Indeed we personally know people in Cornwall who are experiencing housing difficulties. We were prepared to be ‘incomers’ but not the local pariahs!

That's a shame - I seriously doubt that you would have encountered any animosity. We moved to Cornwall twelve years ago, and have been made most welcome by everyone.

The sector of the housing market that is resented is that for second homes - bought at prices that are beyond locals, and unoccupied for fifty weeks of the year!

If you buy property as a first home, avoid the immediate coastal area and its grossly inflated prices - we live in Bodmin.

The locals appreciate that we use local facilities and shops, and we provide employment for a local gardener. I have joined a group of fellow grumpy old men at the 'local', and my wife and I meet regularly with several equally friendly couples in a coffee shop in Wadebridge.

Cornwall is great, and living here is not a guilty pleasure.

CJI.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

That's a shame - I seriously doubt that you would have encountered any animosity. We moved to Cornwall twelve years ago, and have been made most welcome by everyone.

The sector of the housing market that is resented is that for second homes - bought at prices that are beyond locals, and unoccupied for fifty weeks of the year!

If you buy property as a first home, avoid the immediate coastal area and its grossly inflated prices - we live in Bodmin.

The locals appreciate that we use local facilities and shops, and we provide employment for a local gardener. I have joined a group of fellow grumpy old men at the 'local', and my wife and I meet regularly with several equally friendly couples in a coffee shop in Wadebridge.

Cornwall is great, and living here is not a guilty pleasure.

CJI.

We missed the boat I’m afraid when house prices were more sensible. Unfortunately it’s too late for us to get involved in mortgages again.

In our experience I can well appreciate the agreeable life you must be living. Good luck to you and long may it last.

As a regular visitor I’ve never experienced any animosity from  a Cornishman. Usually quite the reverse. Our spirits lift every time we cross the Tamar!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting, Trevor. Does this mean that Burngullow Lane is no more or will you now have three layouts???

If I'd followed your path instead of the one I have, I might have named a station St Endellion!

I'm sure you're familiar with @Gwiwer's Penhayle Bay and @KymN's Fal Vale but if not they're both worth a look as some of what you're now doing is in a universe parallel to theirs.

Have fun!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We had been casually browsing the market for years before circumstances conspired - or stars aligned - to allow us to buy the cottage. 

You can pay well over the odds for a Cornish coastal view but we didn’t. We have a view which includes the ocean and the Isles of Scilly. And we aren’t perched on a remote hilltop either. 

The right property came our way at the right time and the right price. The only down-side being the absence of anywhere to place a model. 

Thanks to the generosity of Hayle Railway Modellers that issue has been resolved albeit at the cost of a 20-mile drive each way to and from the clubroom. 

It is good to hear that Penhayle Bay is remembered. Several parts of it were (and hopefully still are) incorporated into other layouts and I still have the big viaduct. 

Where there’s a will there’s a way. And where there’s a hole in the ground there’s a Cornishman at the bottom of it. We’re a welcoming species on the whole. Just don’t expect a warm reception if you start talking holiday homes / AirBnB lets or the like. The rest of our terrace was very pleased to hear we were moving into an only-home not a second one. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We had been casually browsing the market for years before circumstances conspired - or stars aligned - to allow us to buy the cottage. 

You can pay well over the odds for a Cornish coastal view but we didn’t. We have a view which includes the ocean and the Isles of Scilly. And we aren’t perched on a remote hilltop either. 

The right property came our way at the right time and the right price. The only down-side being the absence of anywhere to place a model. 

Thanks to the generosity of Hayle Railway Modellers that issue has been resolved albeit at the cost of a 20-mile drive each way to and from the clubroom. 

It is good to hear that Penhayle Bay is remembered. Several parts of it were (and hopefully still are) incorporated into other layouts and I still have the big viaduct. 

Where there’s a will there’s a way. And where there’s a hole in the ground there’s a Cornishman at the bottom of it. We’re a welcoming species on the whole. Just don’t expect a warm reception if you start talking holiday homes / AirBnB lets or the like. The rest of our terrace was very pleased to hear we were moving into an only-home not a second one. 

I remember Penhayle Bay every time I see Porthmellyn Road station buildings of course! The island platform buildings will get some much-needed TLC and slight modifications eventually but the main building is just fine as it is. I've even left some Treheligan Junction nameboards on it (by the way, can you recall the provenance of that building? Was it a Hornby or Bachmann resin ready-to-plant?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

can you recall the provenance of that building

As you said yourself many moons ago 

IMG_5987.jpeg.bd0f8e0fff02f51d59facbba9a421cad.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Interesting comments on here - and on PMs received - regarding life in Cornwall. Both Carol and I have known Cornwall since we were children and have spent time there both separately and then together in adulthood. We're well aware of the second home issue. I've learned from Chamby of this parish that the part time occupiers are known by some as 'Remmits' . 

For what it's worth, on my Mother's side I'm descended from a family of miners who lived in Mithian, near St Agnes.

Believe it or not we do take holidays in other parts of the country but our knowledge of the Cornish situation leads us to always stay in holiday accommodation which could only be just that. As a matter of principle we never use Air BnB.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

As you said yourself many moons ago 

IMG_5987.jpeg.bd0f8e0fff02f51d59facbba9a421cad.jpeg

Thanks Rick. I remember writing that but recently I tried to Google it and could find no trace the search results being dominated by the yet-to-be-released new range, so I wondered whether my old brain was letting me down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

known by some as 'Remmits' . 

For what it's worth, on my Mother's side I'm descended from a family of miners who lived in Mithian, near St Agnes.

Believe it or not we do take holidays in other parts of the country but our knowledge of the Cornish situation leads us to always stay in holiday accommodation which could only be just that. As a matter of principle we never use Air BnB.

Without wishing to hijack this thread in an inappropriate direction I'll just say this much.  

We had stayed in holiday accommodation for many years before buying the cottage.  This was always one of the units (barn, cottage or farmhouse) provided by a good friend who rented her otherwise redundant farm buildings to sustain the smallholding side of things.  As a business model it worked well and still does.  She gets to live on the farm she and her late husband always worked and call home, the otherwise empty buildings are used rather than ruined and decayed and she has income for her later years, a business and capital to pass on to the next generation.  

We have never stayed in AirBnB or other holiday accommodation in Cornwall except for a couple of nights in hotels.  We have used such accommodation elsewhere but only where it does not exclude local people such as the National Trust rentals or sole-use parts of homes (as in a self-contained loft conversion) which are continuously lived in by the owners.  

Dr. SWMBO is descended from farming families around Colan at the back of Newquay; my ancestry is around Marazion and Penzance.  Neither of us is Cornish-born (though had my parents not been away visiting my mother's parents at the time I would have been) but both consider ourselves Cornish.  It is an attitude, a way of life, a respect for others and for our own ancestors.  

The term "emmet" means ant (I have never heard "remmit") and equates to "grockle" used farther up-country.  It refers to those who creep and crawl across the land as ants do.  It is a derogatory term often prefixed by a word my mother never taught me.  If you really want to bamboozle them you can use the Cornish language word "moryon" (plural - ants) which can be modified to "moryongoos" for b****y ants.  

And now back to the story.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Without wishing to hijack this thread in an inappropriate direction I'll just say this much.  

We had stayed in holiday accommodation for many years before buying the cottage.  This was always one of the units (barn, cottage or farmhouse) provided by a good friend who rented her otherwise redundant farm buildings to sustain the smallholding side of things.  As a business model it worked well and still does.  She gets to live on the farm she and her late husband always worked and call home, the otherwise empty buildings are used rather than ruined and decayed and she has income for her later years, a business and capital to pass on to the next generation.  

We have never stayed in AirBnB or other holiday accommodation in Cornwall except for a couple of nights in hotels.  We have used such accommodation elsewhere but only where it does not exclude local people such as the National Trust rentals or sole-use parts of homes (as in a self-contained loft conversion) which are continuously lived in by the owners.  

Dr. SWMBO is descended from farming families around Colan at the back of Newquay; my ancestry is around Marazion and Penzance.  Neither of us is Cornish-born (though had my parents not been away visiting my mother's parents at the time I would have been) but both consider ourselves Cornish.  It is an attitude, a way of life, a respect for others and for our own ancestors.  

The term "emmet" means ant (I have never heard "remmit") and equates to "grockle" used farther up-country.  It refers to those who creep and crawl across the land as ants do.  It is a derogatory term often prefixed by a word my mother never taught me.  If you really want to bamboozle them you can use the Cornish language word "moryon" (plural - ants) which can be modified to "moryongoos" for b****y ants.  

And now back to the story.

No problem Rick. All good stuff relating to Cornwall. 👍

Where I was brought up in Hampshire ants were often referred to as emmets.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

'Moryongoos'. I'd love to know how to pronounce that!

Anyway, back to Pendoggett Road where there are no emmets, incomers or second home owners - except perhaps the dog!

I'm not suggesting an exact location for the station, if only because I'm reusing the backscene from Burngullow Lane - which layout, to answer John's question, has been dismantled. In my head it's somewhere between St Kew Highway and roughly Camelford or Otterham. Off scene, a short distance away from the station is a quarry. At Port Isaac Road there was Tregildrans Quarry not forgetting the moonscape at Delabole. 

Although complete trains from other periods are/will be run I've set the date as 1946 - 1950. If only so that I can run Malachite green Bulleid Pacifics - yes I've gone quite mad... I don't have any yet and I must admit to hoping that one is going to turn up from our friends across the Irish Sea or possibly the North Atlantic...

The point of the quarry is to add a little extra interest as wagons are tripped by the resident shunter to be picked up from the goods yard by a through working. I purchased a Planet Industrials Victory for this which has  been turned out as 30948 the East Kent loco which apparently was allocated a BR number but never carried it. In my alternative world it was sent west for use at the quarry. 30948 carries a Wadebridge shed plate. I must say it is very smooth slow runner - well done to PI.

The station is the standard NCR single track with passing loop, headhunt, loading dock and goods shed. I've used Finetrax kits for the pointwork. This is because the layout is all sweeping curves and I didn't want to ruin them with ready made items. Finetrax is an excellent product and the kits lend themselves to easily producing curved pointwork. There is only one short length of straight track on scenic side and that is on a point in the goods yard. Perhaps I should have put that on a curve as well!

I'll end this post with a picture of some of the pointwork taken some time back. More soon.

IMG_0077.jpeg.6fc1241be99914821bffffaec45c7d4d.jpeg

• Like 11

Hi

Although I'm sorry that Burngullow Lane is no more as I enjoyed following your build I am glad that you have settled on another 'local' themed layout that looks to be very interesting.

I look forward to following your take on the North Cornwall line.

We moved to Cornwall in 1987 & were welcomed by the locals as we were putting money into the local economy as we lived/worked/shopped in the local area.

When we bought this place 24 years ago it was semi derelict & we had a few problems with the neighbouring Gypsy camp.....Until they realised that we were intending to renovate the place to live in ourselves.....We get on with them fine as we treat them like normal people .....I think that this is the case with most communities.....If you try & fit in & bear in mind they were there before you most people are welcoming......

Looking forward to your progress...

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Chapman and Healey, Vehicle and General Engineers. Visitors to Burngullow Lane will recognise the cottages in the background and the extra accommodation behind the garage is from Scale Model scenery.

The 'Chapman' part of the name is from a much valued Cornish work colleague who is sadly no longer with us and of course 'Healey' is from Donald Healey another proud Cornish engineer.

My first thought was Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus!

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My first thought was Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus!

Weirdly, even though I've owned and enjoyed a Lotus that thought never occurred!

'My' Chapman hailed from Bude and studied engineering at Camborne College. If something needed repairing or making from metal Dick - always Richard to his wife - was your man, and if he couldn't do it then you really were in trouble! Interestingly son worked for McLaren and raced his own home built car.

For the motor racing followers among us there was Williams and Chapman Haulage contractors in Delabole. (I'm not sure where this photo came from so if it causes problems I'll remove it).

IMG_0012.JPG.74a24cbc17749bf4472b9620bdb2483e.JPG

• Like 5

Fantastic modelling - hats off to you. Really enjoying this thread. Can also sympathise with your earlier moving dilemma and can understand your concern for locals unable to afford property - not everyone is as considerate as you.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1