11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

When you say "tried", did you just email them the same appeal for help, or actually go down and meet them? If it's the former, most clubs receive a few of these a year and so they tend to be ignored as the members have joined to work on their own, or club projects. That's not to say some won't help, I know people who have done just that, but it helps to get to know people.

Looking at the plans, your stations will require multiple feeds and some isolation gaps. Not rocket science, but more than 2 wires. There are a lot of point motors though, so a lot of wire!

Good luck with this.

points are all insulfrog, so they isolate the relevant parts when needed, a control box has been built for for controlling the motors, i have not seen it yet, it was built a year ago, im told to expect it and the motors to be returned in the post within the week

yes i emailed them, i dont know where Solihull club is, but if i went by bus to these places its a long walk which i cant do, Warley i used to visit twice a year on the open days but Taxi is expensive plus this year i was injured and could not go, hoping for July tho, the amount of wire under the boards is not an issue, if it takes 6 months it takes 6 months, i dont know it beyond my understanding, i had an offer last March somebody reckoned they could do all the point motors in a day, but the sticking point was he wanted to fit DCC to everything, and i do not want it, he said could do all 108 locos for less than £50 total, but when i refused to go DCC he walked away....

• RMweb Gold

Pretty central in Brum then. Have you spoken to Redditch they are a friendly bunch . As Phil says a good plan to go and talk to them. It’s a shame their show was 2 weeks ago, that’s always a good opportunity 

8 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Pretty central in Brum then. Have you spoken to Redditch they are a friendly bunch . As Phil says a good plan to go and talk to them. It’s a shame their show was 2 weeks ago, that’s always a good opportunity 

Redditch is too far away no transport, i used to know Lodge Park & South Crest quite well, but that was 40 years ago

I used to live in South Birmingham and belonged to the local MRC which met once a week in Hazelwell station on the Camp Hill line.  However that was 50 years ago, and they had no end of trouble with vandalism.  If the club is still going they will no doubt have moved by now,

at the moment the intention i still to begin dismantling as soon as possible, but the way things are at the moment that will not be until April too many things going on, i thought it would be easier to get help, but it seems i misjudged the MR Community, i was once told appeal for help to the wider community you will have more offers than you know what to do with.

Never Mind

Thanx Guys

HCR IS NO MORE

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Holby Railway said:

at the moment the intention i still to begin dismantling as soon as possible, but the way things are at the moment that will not be until April too many things going on, i thought it would be easier to get help, but it seems i misjudged the MR Community, i was once told appeal for help to the wider community you will have more offers than you know what to do with

That’s a little harsh. As has been said, what you are asking is a not insignificant task.  Modellers have families and other interests, as well as their own modelling. As mentioned above, this is several days full time workload. Add in travel to and fro (unless they happen to live round the corner), and it’s probably even longer.

Better that people are cautious and understand the scale of the task before over-committing, as it’s clear your previous helper did. ( An offer of 108 locos converted to DCC for £50 total - that is the stuff of fantasy!) I’d urge patience- modellers are not all on this forum every waking hour, it may take a few weeks to catch someone’s eye.

Even if you sourced professional help, and were prepared to pay for it, that doesn’t mean those people don’t have an existing workload and order book.

Good luck anyway.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Bearing in mind you have waited a considerable time before trying to enlist help from "The MR Community" you are, to be blunt expecting far too much, especially from people you neither know or have met.

Good "Professional" layout builders will have plenty of work already in hand, the "Community" ones will be "time poor".

Although some distance away (I have family in the Midlands so accomodation is not an issue) I had considered offering to help for a contibution to my travelling expenses but held back to see if there was anyone closer, but, reading you comments, attitude & bitterness decided no way.

FWIW I will give you some advice - IMHO DCC may be the better option for the pointwork but I personally would only use new kit. maybe, you need to consider downsizing to a much simpler layout. You will certainly have to spend some money, one way or the other.

And converting locos to DCC (even "DCC Ready") ones for less than less than £2/pop, that's pure fantasy land.

• Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/03/2024 at 12:18, GrumpyPenguin said:

Bearing in mind you have waited a considerable time before trying to enlist help from "The MR Community" you are, to be blunt expecting far too much, especially from people you neither know or have met.

Good "Professional" layout builders will have plenty of work already in hand, the "Community" ones will be "time poor".

Although some distance away (I have family in the Midlands so accomodation is not an issue) I had considered offering to help for a contibution to my travelling expenses but held back to see if there was anyone closer, but, reading you comments, attitude & bitterness decided no way.

FWIW I will give you some advice - IMHO DCC may be the better option for the pointwork but I personally would only use new kit. maybe, you need to consider downsizing to a much simpler layout. You will certainly have to spend some money, one way or the other.

And converting locos to DCC (even "DCC Ready") ones for less than less than £2/pop, that's pure fantasy land.

Not sure im Bitter, Attitude was caused by a reason (i will not detail in public) im sure a consideration could be given to Travel Expenses, in exchange for the help, The Control Box for the points is now here, and as far as i can tell complete, i have the motors aswell, i obviously need wire / cable but that can be arranged at a later date, point motors will allow me to stay Analogue but get round my inability to stand and poor eyesight, if you are still willing to give me a chance you are welcome to email HOLBYCITYRAILWAY@GMAIL.COM all track work is 3 years old i bought it all brand new locos etc not new but that is entirely by the by, this is the last railway i will ever own and i want it to be the best i can manage.

Previously i was held to ransom by the person that was "helping" his attitude was always "its my way or no way" with everything, its my railway not his, all the money was mine, everything belonged to me so why was it his way or no way?

he is now long gone and will no longer be involved, i know what i want, and thats why im asking for help, should you be kind enough to help, you would find a great deal of work has already been done, and anything else can be discussed like gentleman.