Building a D&D NER 32' Luggage van - help with where things go

• RMweb Premium

After months of searching I found and bought a D&S 32' luggage van, as one of the more unusual vehicles that came through West Moors in one of the push pull sets in the 50s.

The instructions are not great, no exploded diagram of the chassis or where things go. 

The first part of folding up the basic frame and adding the buffer beams was fine. However it then talks about

"b(14), (15) end tabs and fit spring suspension units to slots in the solebars, mount on the inside and tabs from the outside face"

Does anyone have any idea what that means or a photo of what the underside of one of these kits looks like please that may help to unpick what and where these parts go. 

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

That's the NER D171 6 wheel van - luggage, milk, etc.   This:

I have a couple, but no underside shots to hand.   If no-one else obliges, I'll do something for you tomorrow evening.

Thanks, yes thats the one. That would be so helpful.

Probably for anyone who has built a D&S kit before it all makes sense, but this is the first one I have ever seen. 

Sorry this took a little bit longer to get done than I anticipated.    This is the underside of a D171.  I didn't build this one, I bought it unpainted but complete.   The builder has reversed the fixing screws for reasons only he can know.   Either he or I has also replaced the brake yokes with plain wire so the axles are removable.

DS_D171_closeup.jpg.50c29d113be373b0792ff2e6f34d37c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Thanks, I now understand where some of the other parts go through that as well. 

Do you know what wheel size they are the kit does not say are they 14mm Maunsells?

Edited by Blandford1969