Grand Avenue, Chicago - HO

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've not had a US layout to exhibit for a number of years and for a change from my narrow gauge projects I thought a new one should be constructed.

Sadly mum passed away last October so this project is being built at my dads with some assistance from him. Its nice to spend the extra time with him at this time.

Therefore its not going to be a particularly quick build. 

The layout will be set in the mid to late 1990s and is inspired by the area around the Blommer Chocolate factory in Chicago featuring C&NW, UP and Metra commuter trains.

The Bloomer Chocolate factory is very interesting as it is rail served by a high level siding and a low level siding, so.

The layout will feature an upper level with the Metra commuter trains station and C&NW/UP locals switching the Blommer Chocolate siding.
The lower level will see the C&NW/UP switch the Blommer siding and the Chicago Tribune Newspaper facility has paper brought in from Canada.

Theres some good videos on Youtube of the real locations.

In real life there is no station but it makes sense to have one with a layout such as this and also the the two lines should be at 90 degrees to each other which wouldn't be practical.

Being approx 8' x 18" the layout is obviously a compromise.

I'm not going to be able to have 8 car commuter trains but 3 should be possible on the back track which I plan to run on a shuttle system with two car on the from track.

The boards are made from left over oak faced ply flooring i've cut down to approx 3" and ply tops on the lower level. For the top level i'm experimenting by using polystyrene and both levels topped with cork.

The road underpass positioning is fairly key and has taken some time to fit. Its a Walthers kit. This is now more or less sorted position wise so next visit to dads should see some track being laid.

The high tech plan!

The Plan

The 2 boards, the black section is the hidden siding board.

53585079504_8f5787873d_b.jpg

The scenic side showing the the road underpass in position.

53583890597_575c60779f_b.jpg

The road underpass (I will flatten the right hand side road in due course)

53585079499_b9d48f079f_b.jpg

Edited by cnw6847
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Love it, will be following this with interest as North American comutter operations are rarely modeled. Are you going to use the walthers high level station on the upper level, or yet to be decided? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, simon b said:

Love it, will be following this with interest as North American comutter operations are rarely modeled. Are you going to use the walthers high level station on the upper level, or yet to be decided? 

Thank you Simon.

The aim is to have the station look like a through station so I bought a set of Walthers Suburban Station Platforms. You get four pieces about 8 inches long so i'll aim to use the four I think depending how it looks on the layout.

53585107622_2492576a6d_b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, F-UnitMad said:

At 8ft long this is a definition of 'micro' layout I was previously unaware of. 🤔😉

Two levels certainly adds something a bit special to it. 👍

Thank you, it should have a fair bit of operational interest with the possibility of three trains running at once.

I thought a micro layout is a scenic area of up to 4' x 2' plus fiddle yard?

I may have misunderstood, if so i'll remove the micro layout part.

It doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cnw6847 said:

I may have misunderstood, if so i'll remove the micro layout part.

It doesn't really matter.

Sorry, I was only being a bit tongue in cheek, you're absolutely right, it doesn't matter.

👍

Compared to American basement Empires, all our US outline layouts in the UK are Micros!! 😂

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting plan, looking forward to seeing it develop.

I had a 0-16.5 layout of a rail served chocolate factory - it was called ‘Quality Street’ and was very tongue in cheek.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sorry, I was only being a bit tongue in cheek, you're absolutely right, it doesn't matter.

👍

Compared to American basement Empires, all our US outline layouts in the UK are Micros!! 😂

Sorry about that, didn't twig!

Would be nice to have 80 foot by 60 foot wouldn't it 😂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Plus, I don't think Jordan could build a micro layout if he tried.

O scale US just doesn't allow it. 🤣

I would refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to my attempt some years ago to build a US O Scale layout in a Boxfile..... 😝😝😝😝😝😝

000023513856.Jpeg.5c575ef1bfc87358b4be5cd1dcc94a59.Jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Am following with interest - commuter lines are quite possibly the most travelled and least modelled sections of railroad, so it’ll be interesting to see how this develops.  As others have commented, the concept across two levels is really good.

Just for information / reference, I understand the original definition of a micro-layout has an area that is usually 4 sq. ft or less (in any shape and irrespective of scale, but with the question of non-scenic staging not specified), but this is a hobby so outside of specified competition builds Rule 1 applies anyway.  It’s certainly a compact shelf layout.  Have fun, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great idea and very tempted to do something similar in N, especially as just found that Kato do a Metra 3 car and loco box set. 

Also spent some time on google maps following the many railway lines in the area. The bridge you have looks spot on. If anyone does have a 60 x 40 foot space there is a nice bit of 6 track main line and extensive railway yards nearby to this site!

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• cnw6847 changed the title to Grand Avenue, Chicago - HO
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve removed the micro layout part of the topic title.

It doesn’t really need to be there.

Its an interesting area and N gauge could get a lot more in.

I enjoy looking at the YouTube videos of the area.

I found a Schneider trailer last night which seem to be commonly parked at the factory.

I’m hoping to make progress on the buildings at home asap.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Late home from work today but I have managed to get the platforms put together.

I’ll paint them separately then glue them together on the layout.

The Metra stations tend to be well maintained with platforms usually tarmac and yellow edge.

Certainly the out of city stations I went to.

53588098231_8f7a081045_b.jpg

53587229342_8d4914536e_b.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Platforms looking good, are you going for 3 coaches long? 

I'm not too familiar with the routes that pass by the chocolate factory  site, but would this line have seen a Metra e8 or f40c?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, simon b said:

Platforms looking good, are you going for 3 coaches long? 

I'm not too familiar with the routes that pass by the chocolate factory  site, but would this line have seen a Metra e8 or f40c?

Thank you Simon.

the plan is have a three coach train on the back track hopefully using a shuttle  system. 
Two coach trains on the front track that will be manually controlled with the freight trains.

The E8s would have used the line. I think they were retired late 93 early 94 but will stretch it. I have an undec Proto 2000 E8 to paint up.

I don’t think the F40c’s would have run on that line but may do one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, cnw6847 said:

Thank you Simon.

the plan is have a three coach train on the back track hopefully using a shuttle  system. 
Two coach trains on the front track that will be manually controlled with the freight trains.

The E8s would have used the line. I think they were retired late 93 early 94 but will stretch it. I have an undec Proto 2000 E8 to paint up.

The top level being on a shuttle is a good idea, just sit back and watch between shunting the lower level. Would the C&NW have any commuter operations into the 90's, or would it all be Metra by then? 

I've been collecting stock to build something similar, though set in the late 60's with New haven and Penn central trains. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cnw6847 said:

Thank you Simon.

I'm slowly building up stock to run a commuter service on my future layout, which I'll incorporate my current one into. 

At present I have an F7A & B set in RI Red/Silver livery which I'll be repainting in Maroon (A unit) and Red/Yellow (B Unit), an E9 currently in UP Yellow which will be getting the livery modified to represent an RI ex UP unit.  I also have just one commuter car, a Bi-Level cab car in Red/Yellow.  I'm looking to pick up more coaches but they are hard to come by!

The commuter service out of the Chicago Terminals is fascinating to me

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, simon b said:

The top level being on a shuttle is a good idea, just sit back and watch between shunting the lower level. Would the C&NW have any commuter operations into the 90's, or would it all be Metra by then? 

I've been collecting stock to build something similar, though set in the late 60's with New haven and Penn central trains. 

On the top level only the back track will be on a shuttle. The front track and siding will be controlled.

RTA then Metra took over from the railroads in the late 70's to early 80's I believe.

Chicago commuters were even better in the railroad days. Be good seeing Penn Central stock on a layout.

3 hours ago, YT-1300 said:

I'm slowly building up stock to run a commuter service on my future layout, which I'll incorporate my current one into. 

At present I have an F7A & B set in RI Red/Silver livery which I'll be repainting in Maroon (A unit) and Red/Yellow (B Unit), an E9 currently in UP Yellow which will be getting the livery modified to represent an RI ex UP unit.  I also have just one commuter car, a Bi-Level cab car in Red/Yellow.  I'm looking to pick up more coaches but they are hard to come by!

The commuter service out of the Chicago Terminals is fascinating to me

That will be good. I like the RI too.

Contikits have a couple of coaches.

http://www.contikits.com/US HO.htm

This book is also very good.

53590136079_0cb1516d7d_b.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cnw6847 said:

On the top level only the back track will be on a shuttle. The front track and siding will be controlled.

RTA then Metra took over from the railroads in the late 70's to early 80's I believe.

Chicago commuters were even better in the railroad days. Be good seeing Penn Central stock on a layout.

That will be good. I like the RI too.

Contikits have a couple of coaches.

http://www.contikits.com/US HO.htm

This book is also very good.

53590136079_0cb1516d7d_b.jpg

I picked up the Cab Car I have from Contikits, there is a standard Bi-Level on eBay at £76, I was tempted but had problems with the seller before so wont buy from them.

Really looking forward to seeing your layout develop

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

I picked up the Cab Car I have from Contikits, there is a standard Bi-Level on eBay at £76, I was tempted but had problems with the seller before so wont buy from them.

Really looking forward to seeing your layout develop

In Metra days i've seen cab cars used in a rake of coaches so a second on a train.

They're decent prices at Contikits.

I'm not sure when Walthers last made them. You don't see them for sale very often.

Thank you, will try and update asap.

• Friendly/supportive 1