Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DJH AM10 Motor

Hello,

I've just received a brand new DJH kit (surplus OO stock from Ellis Clark), with an AM10 motor/gearbox combo. Does anyone know what motors are supplied by DJH these days as it looks like a cheap and nasty 3 pole can job from China. Has anyone used any of the "new" motors since Mashima have become almost obsolete?

Just wondering if I should replace it with a stock Mashima that I have and sling the supplied motor?

Thanks,

BM

17103394836215445638101653494630.jpg

17103395249144488115645027124006.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very difficult to tell just from photos, I'm afraid, given that I have no experience of recent DJH kits, but would it not be possible to wire up the motor and gearbox on the bench (with the motor body sitting in a lump of blue tack - I always test motor-gearbox combinations like this), with an axle and a single wheel attached and see how it performs under power?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t know what motor/gearbox combinations DJH make/made but Tony Wright seems to hold them in high regard on his thread and using them when he can. Perhaps you could enquire there to get a general consensus. 

Bob

• Agree 2

Thanks both. I will see what Tony says. I know he swears by the gearboxes, but in his videos they were attached to the original Mashima motor.

It may sound like snobbery on my part, but when you pay £80 for a motor and gearbox combo, you want it to be a good one!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BrassMonkey said:

Thanks both. I will see what Tony says. I know he swears by the gearboxes, but in his videos they were attached to the original Mashima motor.

It may sound like snobbery on my part, but when you pay £80 for a motor and gearbox combo, you want it to be a good one!

Oh totally agree, that’s a fair wack to shell out so you want the very best for that kind of money and shouldn’t expect anything less.

Bob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BrassMonkey said:

At the risk of sounding stupid...

What is the link to Tony Wright's thread, please?

Thanks,

BM

No problem - here it is - 

You're probably better off going straight to the last page if you want to post a query, the thread is currently well over 3,000 pages long!

On 13/03/2024 at 14:19, BrassMonkey said:

Hello,

I've just received a brand new DJH kit (surplus OO stock from Ellis Clark), with an AM10 motor/gearbox combo. Does anyone know what motors are supplied by DJH these days as it looks like a cheap and nasty 3 pole can job from China. Has anyone used any of the "new" motors since Mashima have become almost obsolete?

Just wondering if I should replace it with a stock Mashima that I have and sling the supplied motor?

Thanks,

BM

Good evening,

I have no idea whether DJH's motors are 'cheap and nasty 3-pole jobs from China', but I very much doubt it. They're certainly not cheap and they're certainly not nasty!

AM9gearbox.jpg.c9028816a1f7e15eb59af4d6a4d68310.jpg

This is the AM9, recently installed in a DJH A1.

AM10gearbox.jpg.df6b29a70a5b62f3f2ce09e4ff03c71a.jpg

And this is the AM10, recently installed in a Nu-Cast K2.

Obviously, 'static' shots like this give no real indication as to how well these units run. However, if you'd like to look back through some recent pages of Wright writes (quite a few back, because the thread flies!) you'll see moving footage of both the A1 and K2 in action. 

I must have used 20 of the new-motored DJH gearboxes with complete satisfaction. 

The new motors are certainly the equal of equivalent Mashimas, if not superior.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 13/03/2024 at 14:19, BrassMonkey said:

Hello,

Thanks,

BM

Me again,

The O4/7 clip has the AM10 in it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiRP3jVN2v0ptC01GdLi6z0hNrwj?e=R5Kx7Q

I'll see if I can find the others............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

Thank you for getting back to me. Photos and endorsement of the combo from the master himself is good enough for me. Time to get on with the Brighton Atlantic. Possibly the last of her kind from the Consett factory (along with the last AM10).

Kind Regards,

Tim (Brass Monkey)

• Like 1

Thanks Tim,

I'm not sure about the epithet 'master'.

I've worked closely with DJH down the years (test-building/testing/building prototypes/photographing the firm's products/writing instructions) and there was real concern when Mashimas ceased to be available. Where the new motors were sourced from, I have no idea but the motor mounts on the gearboxes were altered to accommodate them.

The only area of 'concern' I have with regard to DJH's AM9 and AM10 gearboxes is the size of the grubscrew; it really is small and is prone to vanishing without trace when attempts are made to fit it into the final gearwheel. My advice is to NOT fit it before the 'box is installed or for testing. Though that sounds daft at first, it's better than losing the grubscrew by having it fitted first. Set up the 'box with an axle installed (with a flat filed on it where the grubscrew will engage), apply a dab of Evo-Stik to the end of a small screwdriver and then push this into the slot of the grubscrew. It's then dead easy to fit the screw into the gearwheel, and tighten with the grubscrew attached to the screwdriver. That done, it won't slip and you won't lose it.

Luckily, I have scores of spare grubscrews, obtained after losing so many!

Perhaps of interest, DJH used to supply the gearboxes as kits. However, so many were returned 'messed-up' that the firm decided to only supply them 'ready-made'. They are 'precision' products and were 'jig-assembled' at base for accuracy. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder whether DJH (or Squires, now) would be able to supply spare grub screws, if asked?

I know I've had the odd grub screw supplied by Chris at High Level, over the years, a very helpful chap indeed.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I try and have spare grub screws that use an Allen key rather than a flat blade screwdriver for fitting. Much more user friendly.

Interesting, where can one obtain some, please?

I often use a tiny bit of blue tack on the end of my screwdriver blade...

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tim,

I'm not sure about the epithet 'master'.

I've worked closely with DJH down the years (test-building/testing/building prototypes/photographing the firm's products/writing instructions) and there was real concern when Mashimas ceased to be available. Where the new motors were sourced from, I have no idea but the motor mounts on the gearboxes were altered to accommodate them.

The only area of 'concern' I have with regard to DJH's AM9 and AM10 gearboxes is the size of the grubscrew; it really is small and is prone to vanishing without trace when attempts are made to fit it into the final gearwheel. My advice is to NOT fit it before the 'box is installed or for testing. Though that sounds daft at first, it's better than losing the grubscrew by having it fitted first. Set up the 'box with an axle installed (with a flat filed on it where the grubscrew will engage), apply a dab of Evo-Stik to the end of a small screwdriver and then push this into the slot of the grubscrew. It's then dead easy to fit the screw into the gearwheel, and tighten with the grubscrew attached to the screwdriver. That done, it won't slip and you won't lose it.

Luckily, I have scores of spare grubscrews, obtained after losing so many!

Perhaps of interest, DJH used to supply the gearboxes as kits. However, so many were returned 'messed-up' that the firm decided to only supply them 'ready-made'. They are 'precision' products and were 'jig-assembled' at base for accuracy. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks again Tony. Very sound advice. It always amazes me how sods law seems to apply to small yet important components like grub screws. In the old days when I did my apprenticeship as an electronics engineer, I worked for a company that serviced dictation machines. We went through a practice of covering the assembly area with white paper so that we wouldn't lose tiny bits like grub screws. Suffice to say it was never very effective, as small screws seemed to have gravity defying properties and usually ended up anywhere but the papered desk!!!

I will take the advice on board and assemble as you recommend!

Many thanks,

Tim

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes! Please tell!

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I used GWR fasteners most recently - although with that name I was expecting style over function but no, they were actually good quality 😜

I think both Markits and High Level use M1.6 (no idea what DJH used as I've never had one).

https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/m16-socket-cup-point-grub-screws-3557-c.asp

For more obscure sizes (e.g. I needed some 0-80 UNF x 3/16 inch Socket Countersunk Screws in black then if anyone will be able to supply it's Accu - but you do pay a premium of course https://www.accu.co.uk/cup-point-set-screws/4985-SSU-M1-6-3-A2?uk_google_shopping=1&c=3&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyYjliJv7hAMV9ohQBh122AE2EAQYASABEgLAU_D_BwE

Edited by Bucoops

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I do wonder whether DJH (or Squires, now) would be able to supply spare grub screws, if asked?

I know I've had the odd grub screw supplied by Chris at High Level, over the years, a very helpful chap indeed.

Chris @ HLK sells the grubscrews separately in packs of ten; no idea if they’ll fit DJH boxes though.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Wondering if I should get the digital calipers on the grub screw (obviously within carefully controlled conditions, e.g. inside a clear bag)? That would solve any supply issues if they are the same as the HLK ones.

Edited by BrassMonkey
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Hello Tony, do you know whether the motors now supplied with the DJH gearboxes are traditional iron cored motors or coreless, please?

Thanks.

Hello Tony, do you know whether the motors now supplied with the DJH gearboxes are traditional iron cored motors or coreless, please?

Thanks.

I don't know. I never asked the question.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As they are flat sided cans they can only be iron cored. Coreless, by the nature of their design parameters, are only ever cylindrical cans. 

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

So I'm told by a friend in the trade...

They are N30 motors. Apparently they are used for operating door locks in Hotels of all things! That's good because they're clearly reliable and "torquey" (and I'm not talking South Devon).

Edited by BrassMonkey
  • Informative/Useful 2