DJH AM10 Motor

• RMweb Gold

Depending on what you are doing, those little N20/30 motors are pretty good. I've converted the gearbox to accept Romford/Markits axles. They are a bit 'tight' for 00, but with EM or P4, I'd guess they are a better size fit.  

Lots of posts on the forum about these. With the proper gears of choice, they are indeed quite powerful. 

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Depending on what you are doing, those little N20/30 motors are pretty good. I've converted the gearbox to accept Romford/Markits axles. They are a bit 'tight' for 00, but with EM or P4, I'd guess they are a better size fit.  

Lots of posts on the forum about these. With the proper gears of choice, they are indeed quite powerful. 

The N20 gearbox motor is easily converted to take 1/8" axles, and can be fitted between OO frames - as I found out during a recent project.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, cctransuk said:

The N20 gearbox motor is easily converted to take 1/8" axles, and can be fitted between OO frames - as I found out during a recent project.

CJI.

If I recollect, about 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, BrassMonkey said:

So I'm told by a friend in the trade...

They are N30 motors. Apparently they are used for operating door locks in Hotels of all things! That's good because they're clearly reliable and "torquey" (and I'm not talking South Devon).

Depending upon which site is advertising them, they are usually described as being for toys, and rated at anything up to 6V - though such ratings are merely nominal.

Whatever - they can easily be had for under £2.00 each, which offers a significant saving over the price at which DJH sold them!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Depending upon which site is advertising them, they are usually described as being for toys, and rated at anything up to 6V - though such ratings are merely nominal.

Whatever - they can easily be had for under £2.00 each, which offers a significant saving over the price at which DJH sold them!

CJI.

I bought a number of motors a couple of years back - 5 for a tenner I think, ended up giving them to my friend who builds kits and he swears they give better performance than the ones DJH used to supply

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BrassMonkey said:

So I'm told by a friend in the trade...

They are N30 motors. Apparently they are used for operating door locks in Hotels of all things! That's good because they're clearly reliable and "torquey" (and I'm not talking South Devon).

Which is odd, because for that purpose, they run for a couple of seconds at the most, then are unused for hours. Unlike a model locomotive, where they might be asked to run a few laps of a roundy, hauling a heavy train. So entirely different work cycles.

I'm not suggesting that the N30's are unsuitable for model railways, just making an observation.

• Agree 1