Era of operation original Freightliner

• RMweb Gold

Perusal of Michael J. Collins' Life and Times - Freightliner suggests the following :

The wagon, being blue, would appear to represent a Batch 2 vehicle - as far as I am aware, some lasted into the post-BR era (I think that a few are still in use in Engineer's trains). Batch 1 vehicles were painted black and virtually all withdrawn by 1989.

Containers in the original livery were carried on trains at least until 1984 judging from photos, but the branding became "Freightliners Limited" after the organisation was split off from BR in 1969.

The container itself is an original Freightliner non-ISO type, but these seem to have been phased out by the end of the 1960s as BR changed to the ISO system. I have not seen any photos of the non-ISO types with the "Limited" branding though - perhaps they did not last long enough.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lazy said:

Perusal of Michael J. Collins' Life and Times - Freightliner suggests the following :

The wagon, being blue, would appear to represent a Batch 2 vehicle - as far as I am aware, some lasted into the post-BR era (I think that a few are still in use in Engineer's trains). Batch 1 vehicles were painted black and virtually all withdrawn by 1989.

Containers in the original livery were carried on trains at least until 1984 judging from photos, but the branding became "Freightliners Limited" after the organisation was split off from BR in 1969.

The container itself is an original Freightliner non-ISO type, but these seem to have been phased out by the end of the 1960s as BR changed to the ISO system. I have not seen any photos of the non-ISO types with the "Limited" branding though - perhaps they did not last long enough.

That's perfect thanks