Catenary OHLE wires

• RMweb Premium

This may be a silly question, but here goes.

I would like to know how far above the track the wires on OHL should be. The reason I ask is that I would like to put an OHL system (Peco) on my layout. However, I have an extensive tunnel, the height of which I have increased recently to potentially run Electric locos without having to lower the loco pick up arms when the loco goes through the tunnel. I would like to know the height of the wire nearest the track that comes into contact with the loco arm should be. I told you it was a silly question, but a rough guide to height would be helpful in making my decision.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 7013 said:

This may be a silly question, but here goes.

I would like to know how far above the track the wires on OHL should be. The reason I ask is that I would like to put an OHL system (Peco) on my layout. However, I have an extensive tunnel, the height of which I have increased recently to potentially run Electric locos without having to lower the loco pick up arms when the loco goes through the tunnel. I would like to know the height of the wire nearest the track that comes into contact with the loco arm should be. I told you it was a silly question, but a rough guide to height would be helpful in making my decision.

OLEStructureMeasurementsandClearancesrm.png.2781098421374a49e4818b28a8fe41aa.png

To save having to do conversions here are the 4mm scale dimensions.OLEStructureMeasurementsandClearances4mmrm.png.22262d66dd4a73c837235fba6a4653f1.png

Edit, Having re-read your requirements the pantogragh (pick up arm) should go up and down, most models have sprung pantographs. They go up and down because there is not a set normal height for the contact wire, things like bridges and level crossings usually need to be lower or higher respectfully.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The simple answer is whatever height the registration arms are on the mast is going to be the height of the contact wire. Make adjustments for tunnel entrances if neccessary.

If not piece-mealing catenary masts, registration arms are pre-installed at a fixed height on commercially available masts from Sommerfeldt and Viesmann.

I forget the exact height in HO, but it is the correct height for the scale. HOm and HOe tend to be a slightly lower due to the height of the equipment.

Edited by MichaelE
clarification
  • Thanks 1

Most of the stuff on the market at present is foreign outline, but had an interesting discussion at Ally Pally on Saturday with West Hill Wagon Works.  They are going to introduce a range of 3D printed British outline OHLE.  The had a couple of cantilever masts and clip-on registration arms on display, quite impressive but not yet available.  They still have to more development work to do, so they're not yet on the market, such as gantries, transformers etc, and will be released as a comprehensive range, though they won't be doing their own contact/catenary wires.  The masts were planted using magnets in the base so that they coud take knocks when track cleaning etc, and the resin they've chosen was pretty robust so it shouldn't fracture easily.  It looked very good; if I were planning to do OHLE, I'd be waiting for this range to come out.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The peco structures are based on Mk3 equipment although I can't say which version which gives a nominal contact wire height of 4.7m or 4.72m above the rail level. Designers are allowed to bring the contact wire down to 4.165m to clear tunnels, bridges, signals etc.

Edited by 4700mm
  • Thanks 1