Stalling locos

• RMweb Premium

I have OO gauge Bachmann 10000 and 10001 both fitted with Lenz silver 21 pin decoders. In the past the locos have run without any issues. However, now both locos have developed the same issue, that is moving for a short distance, stopping then moving again. No other locos on my layout display this problem so I am assuming it is problem that has developed with both locos. Neither loco gets much running and I am thinking, if it is not an electrical/decoder problem then they may need servicing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, 7013 said:

...Neither loco gets much running ...

...moving for a short distance, stopping then moving again...

That's most likely very brief loss of power supply to the decoder, because the decoder has a factory set 'timeout' of 0.25 second before it restarts. You can check that by setting CV112 to 0; if the locos then run with no halts, while you haven't fixed the problem, you know the cause.

My opinion, this is usually in the wiring connections to the main board which are clipped on. Personally I would go round the whole lot one at a time and solder them on. (If you don't solder, then release each connection in turn and wind the wire end around the tag so it has to make metal to metal contact between wire and plating on the tag.) This has been an instant fix on my own and friend's Bach diesels since Bachmann started this 'clip on' connection technique: great production line expedient for them, not so good for long term reliability...

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 7013 said:

I have OO gauge Bachmann 10000 and 10001 both fitted with Lenz silver 21 pin decoders. In the past the locos have run without any issues. However, now both locos have developed the same issue, that is moving for a short distance, stopping then moving again. No other locos on my layout display this problem so I am assuming it is problem that has developed with both locos. Neither loco gets much running and I am thinking, if it is not an electrical/decoder problem then they may need servicing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First thing I would do is clean the wheels and pick ups before looking at the wiring or decoders

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your very helpful comments, my initial thought was a wiring/decoder problem, however, in hindsight when the locos stall the lights remain on. Anyway, I think a methodical approach is needed, clean the locos thoroughly first, if that does not solve the issue, then a tinker with the electrics. Oddly, it is only the LMS twins that have this problem, other locos (including Bachmann) that are run sporadically appear ok. 

• RMweb Premium

If the lights remain on that would indicate some problem with either the motor itself, or the power getting to it from the decoder. Some Bachmann diesels have the connection between the pcb and motor tags as sprung fingers, a bit like pickups on wheel backs, and these don’t always prove reliable. I have a policy of soldering these now in my N gauge ones to overcome the issue.

Bob

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a fleet of largely kit-built locos, most of which don't get much running.  Recently i decided to test them all on my layout and was disappointed to find that a lot of them didn't perform at all well.  So I spent some time in thorougly cleaning the wheels of each loco and giving an equally thorough clean to my track (I was appalled to see how much gunge came off onto the cloth and contact cleaner I was using).  I also checked that all the pickups were in contact with the wheels.  The change in running after this was dramatic and now all my locos bar two (quartering issues) perform impeccably.

3 hours ago, 7013 said:

...however, in hindsight when the locos stall the lights remain on.

That is yet more evidence that it is the decoder momentarily losing track supply and applying the time out to the motor. The LED's might flicker, but so briefly that you will rarely if ever see it.

18 hours ago, 7013 said:

moving for a short distance, stopping then moving again

This is so characteristic of the momentary loss of supply causing the Lenz decoder to apply the motor timeout. You make no mention of having to restart the loco, give it a push or whatever: it has stopped 'on power' and restarts when the motor timeout has elapsed.

If you want a methodical approach, going 'evidence led' will save you a lot of time: first take ten seconds setting CV112 to 0, and seeing if  (evidence of)  'the problem' goes away. If it does the clip on wire connections to the circuit board are top suspect. If not, then get busy on cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I have got all weekend to attend to both locos, the locos stop 'on power' and restart spontaneously. I will check both the electrics and cleanliness of the locos using all the recommendations above.

Different gauge same manufacturer.

One my class 25s would display odd jerky behaviour after a little disuse but was very very smooth at other times (and it's brother & sisters are all very smooth).

Was a goo issue on the main worm, I'd been oiling the bogies cogs but not looked further in, so last week I got out a fine screwdriver and ran the worm and used the screwdriver to remove the goo.  It seems to work better again now, the goo seems to harden with age.

The other thing that caused issues on any loco is dirty wheels or track, I have been using WD40 CONTACT CLEANER for wheels and track and it's much better.  For the track I used to use a rubber but it would leave so much residue, there is none with the Contact Cleaner.  I have emboldened the Contact Cleaner on the product name, it is not the same as WD40, don't use standard WD40 to clean wheels or track.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your very helpful comments, my initial thought was a wiring/decoder problem, however, in hindsight when the locos stall the lights remain on. Anyway, I think a methodical approach is needed, clean the locos thoroughly first, if that does not solve the issue, then a tinker with the electrics. Oddly, it is only the LMS twins that have this problem, other locos (including Bachmann) that are run sporadically appear ok. 

• RMweb Premium

Stripped 10001 down checked everything, good clean works perfectly now, except I made the elementary mistake of not putting one of the drive shafts back properly, that is for another day. 10000 I did not strip down just cleaned everything and it works perfectly. I think the oil/ grease on the bearings had got sticky and dry. Thank fully it was not a DCC issue in the end. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Quick final update: All well with my LMS twins, running smoothly, no stalling. Now thinking about sound, but not a lot of room for a large speaker.

Edited by 7013