LSL activity on the Severn Valley Railway

Covkid

Some interesting youtube videos have been posted about the return to steam of 60532 "Blue Peter" and bubble car "Flora". 60532 has been under heavy overhaul and
"straightening out" after a horrendous wheelslip at Durham over twenty years ago. The loco was visible under light steam shunting around the Locomotive Services depot at Crewe, but was then low loadered to Kidderminster ready for some running in and trials.  Also sent to Kidderminster was the class 121 "bubble car 121020 "Flora" which has had an extensive bodywork rebuild with many of the doors removed and plush interior installed.

The Chairman's train hauled by 47805 ran onto the SVR metals and was positioned in the station and 60532 was coupled to "Flora" for the run up to Highley. To achieve this the final drives from the mechanical transmissions were isolated. The train stopped at the home signal outside Highley, and "Blue Peter" was detached then run forward into the loop. The final drives were reinstated and the diesel railcar ran forward into the platform, where the final drives were again isolated, while "Blue Peter" shunted around onto the railcar to return tender first to Kidderminster.     

Personal opinion - "Blue Peter looks absolutely gorgeous in British Railways express blue with large "St Rollox" style 60532 on the cabsides.  I am assuming she will get a topcoat of paint and varnish before receiving lining, crests etc.   A fantastic rebuild of a now unique Thompson pacific. Well done LSL

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

Some interesting youtube videos have been posted about the return to steam of 60532 "Blue Peter" and bubble car "Flora". 60532 has been under heavy overhaul and
"straightening out" after a horrendous wheelslip at Durham over twenty years ago.

The Durham wheel slip was in October 1994 and it was repaired within 18 months, back in service 1996. She worked mainline again until 2001 and on the NYMR until 2002. 

Its also a Peppercorn designed Pacific, not a Thompson. 

Definitely good to see her back, though. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Not the best angle because I was in the public car park, but I managed to get these pics.

i had no idea that she was on the line - I was visiting footplate models and heard a steam whistle as I was going into the mainline station. So a fortunate meeting really 

IMG_7772.jpeg

IMG_7773.jpeg

• Like 14

On 21/03/2024 at 16:30, County of Yorkshire said:

The Durham wheel slip was in October 1994 and it was repaired within 18 months, back in service 1996. She worked mainline again until 2001 and on the NYMR until 2002. 

Ooops - apologies !!

ER pacifics are not my strong point as you can tell.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 16:30, County of Yorkshire said:

An Peppercorn A2 is based on Thompson's rebuild of the Gresley P2, so it's got a bit of all three in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful machine. 

Wasn't the loco kind of adopted as the mascot of its namesake BBC1 children's programme way back in the last century?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Beautiful machine. 

Wasn't the loco kind of adopted as the mascot of its namesake BBC1 children's programme way back in the last century?

They certainly featured it ( in the days of Noakes, Purves and Singleton - the pre-Judd era IIRC)

• Agree 1