HM7000 Power Supply Requirement

Considering buying a Hornby loco with TXS sound, however all I have controller wise is the basic Bachmann DC controller, though I do have the HM|DCC app installed on my phone. Although I'd like to jump into a DCC controller soon I don't have a proper layout to justify that. I've seen that you can use your pre-existing controller as a power supply for the track, but just to make sure, if I put my current controller on max power would I be able to operate this loco via the app just fine, and both play sounds and run the model?

Possibly not without damaging the decoder. There is a list of compatible and approved power supplies on the Hornby Forum. Any other supply could  easily risk permanent damage to the decoder.

That info may be out of date now.  Refer to the list on the Hornby site which gives the latest, up to date recommendations.  It was found that some of the earlier suggested power supplies were causing problems.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andrewgj8 said:

, if I put my current controller on max power would I be able to operate this loco via the app just fine, and both play sounds and run the model?

if you want to blow the decoder you can try - against all published advice.

• Thanks 1