Dapol 73 chassis will it fit a Lima body?

I have a couple of Merseyrail 73s from Lima , DCC Fitted . The Dapol 73 is clearly a better model and at present a great price .  I wondered whether to upgrade chassis to the Dapol version and possibly fit / drop on the Merseyrail livery 73 body from Lima.

is this possible / a simple solution someone has tried ?  

( I dont have the skills to repaint the Dapol 73s into Merseyrail livery) . 

• RMweb Gold

The body for the Dapol 73s is attached to the chassis by 4 screws whereas the the Lima/Hornby 73s are just a clip fit, so this would be a major issue. 

I have 'stuffed' several older RTR OO diesel model bodyshells with superior modern mechanisms, though never looked at a 73;  the bottom line is that provided both models were made to scale it's relatively easy. You likely will have to cut clearance for the old body to fit on the new mechanism, and you may have to make your own mountings so that the body sits in correct position and stays put. 

Perhaps I am just a jammy git, but all four combos I have done, having cleared the old body shells of interior obstructions, and done some minimal mechanism block shaping,  they all fitted snuggly enough over the new centre motor mechanisms to stay put.

(Lima 40 onto an early Bachmann Peak mechanism, Airfix 30 and Lima 31 onto mazak rotted Hornby mechs. ,Hornby 21/29 onto Bachmann 24 mech. )

• Like 1

I have literally, just now, tried it.

It fits with a tiny bit removed from the Lima body at the very bottom of two front coners.

You will need to find if the Dapol cabs fit though as I'm not in a position to try them.

The Lima boy sits on the Dapol buffer beams just like the Dapol body.

Dave.

• Like 1

Your other option would be to go for a new Hornby mechanism which uses the Lima, now Hornby bodyshell. This isn't as good as the Dapol chassis as it involves a motor bogie at one end only, but might perhaps be more economical.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Double sided tape is usually ok to hold the body.

not too much to make it hard to separate, but enough to hold it.

trial and error but you’ll be surprised you. Wont need as much as you initially think.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Your other option would be to go for a new Hornby mechanism which uses the Lima, now Hornby bodyshell. This isn't as good as the Dapol chassis as it involves a motor bogie at one end only, but might perhaps be more economical.

John.

I actually did this many years ago now and it's just a straight body swap as both clip on in the same way. Just sold the two I upgraded models on Ebay a couple of months ago and replaced with a couple of new Dapols. One issue with the Hornby ones is their haulage power though. Nevertheless they were smooth runners.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 20:49, RFS said:

One issue with the Hornby ones is their haulage power though. Nevertheless they were smooth runners.

Plenty of room for extra weight though.

DSCF1659.JPG.f0d8f683d3a4a5d7e2079951dba23386.JPG

• Like 1