Scratchbuilding wagons for beginners

Having done some scratchbuilding and kit-bashing for some buildings, I'm keen to take the next plunge into scratchbuilding some wooden plank wagons (pre-grouping and Grouping era), but I'm struggling to find an existing thread where all the basics on materials, tools, construction, detailing (rivets etc) are explained step by step.

I have found a couple of threads which nearly do the job, but none of the photos will load because the threads are from a few years ago - I think this is because the RMWeb servers have lost a lot of photos from old threads (?).

I've also done a search of the Railway Modeller archive which is usually very useful, but nothing relevant seems to pop up there either. There are lots of very good articles by Ian Nuttall in particular, but they don't delve into the basic details for a scratchbuild novice like me.

Grateful for any links to existing threads or indeed just some advice directly on this thread. Appreciate that methods will differ a bit on materials and construction methods, but anything is better than nothing!

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

In my humble opinion the best guide to scratch building 4mm goods wagons in plasticard were a series of, five I think , articles in the much missed Model Railways illustrated. These were written by Simon de Souza and are from I think 1995. They are a great comprehensive guide. I think I have these on a memory stick and if you wish PM me and I will hunt for them and send you a copy.

Regards Ian

22 hours ago, Ian R. Weeks said:

In my humble opinion the best guide to scratch building 4mm goods wagons in plasticard were a series of, five I think , articles in the much missed Model Railways illustrated. These were written by Simon de Souza and are from I think 1995. They are a great comprehensive guide. I think I have these on a memory stick and if you wish PM me and I will hunt for them and send you a copy.

Regards Ian

Thank you Ian. Will let you know.

• 4 weeks later...

Look on my thread......I'm sure you'll find something there

For some reason my...

My/our scratching building thread does not appear. 

It's about 13 pages away, as I haven't updated it for a while.

It's a shame a lot of the pictures are missing.  I kept them all here and not backed up anywhere else.

Edited by gobbler
Extra comments