Hornby Dublo LNER gold plated 'Flying Scotsman.'

Robin Brasher

Hornby's latest version of the 'Flying Scotsman' as R30208A as a restored gold plated A3 in LNER lined green with two tenders as it appeared in the United States is probably the most expensive locomotive that Hornby has ever produced. The price is £534.99. 

• Round of applause 1

I get that these are collectors items, but I do wish Hornby would do something that hits both marks (collectors and modellers).

Let me explain, and I admit that there are limited cases where this could work, and Scotsman is partly one of them, Mallard would be a better example due to its burnished handrails.

They could easily gold plate brass parts (the colours at this scale are not that different) with the advantage that they won't tarnish.

For polished metal parts, mainly on preserved locos, including burnished rods, buffers and where appropriate handrails, as well as the tyres, why not use platinum. It is not far off stainless steel (albeit shinier) and unlike silver will not tarnish.

I would definitely buy such a model with appropriately coloured plated metal parts. But who the heck wants gold plated valve gear???!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

But who the heck wants gold plated valve gear???!!!

Wait till you find out about starlight express. I hope it’s an early April‘a fool! 

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Wait till you find out about starlight express. I hope it’s an early April‘a fool! 

To mark the special occasion, we are proud to present a one-off replica of the Hornby 'Starlight Express' in the exact colours as the original and have added 2024 to the sleek silver and blue livery.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/starlight-express-40-years

Jason

• Like 1

What is it with Hornby and Flying Scotsman, didn't they release 3 special Hornby Dublo Flying Scotsmen about a year ago? I have the Steam fitted one on order which is normal Hornby, my other ones are all Railroad versions and the steam fitted one was a decent price for what you get. 

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

What is it with Hornby and Flying Scotsman, didn't they release 3 special Hornby Dublo Flying Scotsmen about a year ago? I have the Steam fitted one on order which is normal Hornby, my other ones are all Railroad versions and the steam fitted one was a decent price for what you get. 

That's the loco little Timmy knows and by extension (and probably much to their annoyance, his parents. Additionally, while you or I might see it as just another steam loco it is special to a large group of people. Every version they do seems to sell out, so why not make them while they can?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ColinB said:

There were five or six versions, for the centenary of FS, and around the same time they announced these gold plates ones, who have been in shops some time as well. They seem to sell well, so why not? 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Johan DC said:

There were five or six versions, for the centenary of FS, and around the same time they announced these gold plates ones, who have been in shops some time as well. They seem to sell well, so why not? 

Just for the more-money-than-sense end of the collecting brigade.

It probably means Hornby won't make something else that I might want. That used to wind me up but I've got used to it and ceased to care. There's plenty else to spend my money on.

Others cater for me nowadays and if Hornby fortuitously produce the odd item that I do want every two or three years, I'll buy it. The days when I spent two or three grand a year with Hornby are a distant memory.

Whether these commemoratives constitute a gold-plated lifebelt for Hornby, though, remains to be seen.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, ColinB said:

The word you are groping for is "obsession". 😉

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just for the more-money-than-sense end of the collecting brigade.

It probably means Hornby won't make something else that I might want. That used to wind me up but I've got used to it and ceased to care. There's plenty else to spend my money on.

Others cater for me nowadays and if Hornby fortuitously produce the odd item that I do want every two or three years, I'll buy it. The days when I spent two or three grand a year with Hornby are a distant memory.

Whether these commemoratives constitute a gold-plated lifebelt for Hornby, though, remains to be seen.

You are right, I bought a few special edition Hornby locos in the Eighties and when I sold them to be be replaced by better ones I wouldn't have said i got a lot for them. I don't know if the Hornby Dublos will be any different, there must be a limit to how many collectors will want one. I picked up a Hornby Dublo Gannet in their sale for a really good price so obviously those didn't sell that well. I bought it because like Jenny Kirk I like A4s and the HD ones are really good runners. It is interesting though what locos fetch more money, I bought a Wrenn West Country/ Battle of Britain in a second hand shop years ago, I liked the shape. Surprisingly it is worth a lot more now than what I paid for it, even more than the rebuilt Wrenn Clan Line that I bought new.