Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7mm in 7 foot - A tribute layout- Alston Sidings

18 hours ago, 7mmin7foot said:

each  photo highlighting the myriad of unfinished / incomplete scenic items)

The to do list is ever growing !

1. It's not a race.

2. We like your photos even as they are.

3. Most of us also have unfinished layouts as well..!!! 👍😁

7 hours ago, jcarta said:

Although the Railfreight livery was nice I still think you can't beat a nice grubby one in BR Blue complete with headlamps

Yes you can. A nice clean ex-works one in BR Blue!! 🤣😝

7 hours ago, 7mmin7foot said:

I note though ( even on the Swiss HO models) all model manufacturers fail to  represent the warped / beat up panels look of the real locos, as your photo perfectly illustrates.

All model locos are pristine smooth sided...

Somehow it doesn't seem to work on models, just ends up looking like shoddy modelling. See also leaning lamp posts & telegraph poles. Happens all the time in reality, but on a model?? Can just look 'wrong'. 

• Like 3

Interesting. As you say, nobody it seems has ever attempted to represent how the the old BR diesels really looked. A bit like steel ships, where the frames telegraph themselves through the outer skin. And of course, our model diesel bodies are far too thick for this to happen - and if they were thin enough, you could never pick them up.

Equally, I have never seen a convincing model of an unrebuilt Bulleid pacific - most of the ones I remember looked as if the depot staff had been throwing rocks at them! Air-smoothed casing? Anything but, by the mid 1950s.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, appreciate those.

I am thrilled as to how my little tribute layout has been received here on RM Web.

Have to say, out of all the many layout I have built in my modelling lifetime, from Z to  LGB ,  I am increasingly thinking this is my favourite of all , and will be my best ever effort too.

I have been totally inspired by my late pal Richard and the very fine modelling I have seen here in the 7mm section of RM Web.

Also, I have zero regrets flogging off my  extensive Swiss HO stock and that layout too.. there really is something special about modelling in 7mm ,1/43,O Gauge.

Everything has to be that little bit better modelled than in the smaller scales...

The sheer scale and 'presence'  in comparison  is terrific.

My tribute mission is working though, each time I visit my shed and layout, I smile and think of Richard... I am increasingly  feeling this would get his approval  ;o)

Onwards in O ...

Cheers & thanks to all of you for the encouragement ;o)

Steve

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Somehow it doesn't seem to work on models, just ends up looking like shoddy modelling. See also leaning lamp posts & telegraph poles. Happens all the time in reality, but on a model?? Can just look 'wrong'. 

Hadn't really thought of it in those terms, good comment... and logical too...  

Steve

Well, as it was warmer today, I had hoped to get to shake a few rattle cans and get some painting on..

The windy weather, had other thoughts... so a little tinkering inside instead.

One aspect of O Gauge, I am really enjoying is the trialing of different scenic aspects...

At the very far end of my layout,  I have around 5" or so available... though the board doesn't extend to this... ( yet)

They were standard sized boards 4' and 3'.

I have mocked up  an end panel with some more low relief warehouses and built a 7 foot brick wall to front them..

Played about with different elevations too and  added a little depth to one of warehouses... and I am liking this.. so will work on this further now.

The tarmac crew will be returning soon.

Cheers

Steve

20240406_120528 (Medium).jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Somehow it doesn't seem to work on models, just ends up looking like shoddy modelling. 

I think that's partly as a lot of the effect on the real thing is light reflecting off the various undulations and we tend to avoid gloss or sheens! Then like many rust effects and the like, you can't just do it randomly, there is often a pattern to the real thing which is tricky to copy.

I've seen a few attempts at dents but in order to really show up it has over been over exaggerated to my eyes and as you say, can look awful! 

• Like 1

These pictures from the Mid Hants railway last year were taken particularly to illustrate just how uneven real sheet metal on loco's really is.

IMG_0318

IMG_0316

Those rivets along the tank sides aren't exactly in line either!

• Like 1

I had a go at bending up some Dapol Turbots which came out OK, I think I did 16 in the end. I've also scored marks in a couple of HEA's but its all very subjective. Not tried to replicate a particularly 'rippled' bodyside effect, but I suspect that would be much more difficult.

YCV24.jpg.a74fdb47824d081eaabb28bd12b208cc.jpg

YCV25.jpg.770818039d4cd0f03c46fa74e9fd4043.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

Ok, advice sought  please...

I am slowly succumbing to thoughts of buying yet another Heljan Railfreight Class 26 loco..(the pre weathered  version 26 025). This is my personal favourite.

Yes, I know I can get an un numbered one, but I do like the pre-weathered version.. especially  as I am totally inexperienced in the art of weathering stock.

Cop out, yes... but  suits me... and a darn good price too... ( though the chip will have to wait till funds available)

Clearly I don't want the same number so will want to re-number it ( if I proceed).

Can you please advise the best method of removing existing numbers from a Heljan O loco ?

I have read various methods, but none appear specific to the current Heljan O gauge locos, and I guessing  that someone has surely done this already?

Appreciate advice, thank you.

Cheers

Steve

ps.

( yes... I now accept,  one never has enough in this scale.. even with a small 7 foot layout . IT IS ADDICTIVE ! )

• Agree 2

Just found your thread and had a read through. That's a fantastic tribute, I'm sure your pal would be proud of what you're doing! It is coming along very nicely, the Turbots look superb, and that's a fantastically simple but enjoyable track plan you've used. I'll look forward to seeing some more updates and although I model in OO gauge, the appeal of O is very strong! The bulk of the locos makes it all seem so real, especially when weathered.

Keep up the good work 👍

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the comments Steve,

The excellent  Turbot  examples are not mine, they are Al Taits ( D6775),  and uploaded to illustrate the earlier comment I made about  loco's  sheet metal representation in models.

Yes, it  is a very simple track plan deliberately so, there are 3 medium peco points, that I wanted to get on to a single  1200 mm board . 

The other, 900mm board is even simpler with just straight flexi track.

This together with the small traverser gives me a variety of operations, as the stock is mostly loco's  to or from re-fuelling or a couple stabled for their next duty on the centre straight.

The traverser allows them to travel 'off scene' , the rear track was an after thought, but I thought best kept separate for  the fuel deliveries, which allowed me to invest in a Dapol 08 for variety.

Essentially the mission was to incorporate as much of my late pal's stock... (scenic and rolling) into some sort of layout to use and display his stock  ( now being added to ! )

Totally from  my imagination ( but inspiration from other small O layouts on RMWeb)  and what I'd  enjoy the most.

This is really growing on me now, and I do look forward to working on it as often as I can.. each time, bringing me a smile and fond memories.

So the  mission is well on the way to being accomplished.  ;o)

Thanks to all for the on going encouragement.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 7mmin7foot said:

Ok, advice sought  please...

I am slowly succumbing to thoughts of buying yet another Heljan Railfreight Class 26 loco..(the pre weathered  version 26 025). This is my personal favourite.

Yes, I know I can get an un numbered one, but I do like the pre-weathered version.. especially  as I am totally inexperienced in the art of weathering stock.

Cop out, yes... but  suits me... and a darn good price too... ( though the chip will have to wait till funds available)

Clearly I don't want the same number so will want to re-number it ( if I proceed).

Can you please advise the best method of removing existing numbers from a Heljan O loco ?

I have read various methods, but none appear specific to the current Heljan O gauge locos, and I guessing  that someone has surely done this already?

Appreciate advice, thank you.

Cheers

Steve

ps.

( yes... I now accept,  one never has enough in this scale.. even with a small 7 foot layout . IT IS ADDICTIVE ! )

Have you been looking at this? I must confess I had to have a stern word with myself...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Heljan-2683-class-26-railfreight-red-stripe-26025-orange-cantrail-stripe-with-eastfield-dog-logo-weathered

I would also like to know the answer to your question, as I have a Heljan 03 from which I want to remove some lettering and electrification flashes. 

With the weathered 26025, I wonder if removing the numbers might make an obvious clean unweathered patch too? Though that's not a disaster, you sometimes see photos of locos with a patch around the number cleaned off.

It might also be worth looking at prototype photos to check the positions of logos, numbers, dogs etc, as there is some variation. Also maybe the pilot scheme ones (first 20) might have grille variations?

Some inspiration/temptation for you...

26004 by Neil Smith

Class 26 Diesel Edinburgh Waverley

26035 by David Christie:

26.035 on tankers at Bannockburn. Jun'86

26038 by Dave Peachey:

19880712.a.Stirling.26038.LR_filtered

26037 by Dave Moreton:

Railfreight  26037  Grangemouth  Oct '91

26041 by Bruce Galloway (note quite different weathering pattern):

26041 Thornton

Of course they don't have to be weathered! 26003 and 26006 by afc45014:

26 003 & 26 006, Edinburgh Waverley, 10-04-88

Get it bought ;-)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

;o)

Yes, that's the one I have and considering another!

Thanks for those images, they are great reference photos, ( loco's , clutter and puddles) and now... I could consider the other railfreight they have which is not numbered ;o)

I have some ED transfers for the little 08 I need to change at some point.. that has different size Scottie dogs too..

Hmm..  just gets better this does  ;o)

Steve

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 1

Looking at the photos, there's at least 3 different variations of cantrail stripe as well as the different dogs etc. 

I did an image search on Flickr for 'class 26 railfreight' and sifted out some good ones, but there were plenty more to look at.

If it were me, I'd model a loco which has the subtle variations in livery compared to the one you have already, and I'd weather it in a different way. So your two similar locos end up looking subtly different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Looking at the photos, there's at least 3 different variations of cantrail stripe as well as the different dogs etc. 

I did an image search on Flickr for 'class 26 railfreight' and sifted out some good ones, but there were plenty more to look at.

If it were me, I'd model a loco which has the subtle variations in livery compared to the one you have already, and I'd weather it in a different way. So your two similar locos end up looking subtly different.

I like this idea...  dog, no dog,  big dog, small dog different cantrail... different  subtle variations..

Cheers ;o)

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 7mmin7foot said:

Steve,

That's exactly how It started.....  saying to myself that I only need 3 or 4 loco's, a few wagons and possibly 3 coaches. O gauge is an addiction so It never ends with just 3 or 4 loco's.....😁 

I recently replaced the shelving in the office and SWMBO came home and stated that she wasn't expecting the shelving to run all along the whole wall. I just replied that it was safer so the loco's couldn't fall off the ends then she said "that now there were larger gaps between the loco's"..... I just smiled and slowly filled the gaps with more loco's. 🤣

AyrRoadVol01(857).jpg.7e7398a75d5a25d1fb09ac7edb8d4a1c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 03/04/2024 at 09:50, 7mmin7foot said:

20240329_111421 (Medium).jpg

20240329_111622 (Medium).jpg

I suspect the Cortina driver is feeling a bit "outgunned" surrounded by a GTi, GTE and SRi.....

Incidentally I'm just abusing this. It's also Heljan's factory weathered 26025. Now with a bit less weathering (and slightly less "all or nothing") with a few added details....

IMG_0029.jpg

Edited by admiles
added photo!
  • Like 2

Very likely, It's not even  a Ghia version..

He's probably a guy in the office... not an 'injun driver'  ;o)

That said, these were inherited from my late pal, so they had to be used as part of my tribute mission.

On my wish list, I would like a Granada, Sierra  and a Capri too.. so the petrol heads  racers,  won't be such a dominance.

Ultimately, the occupants of the car park will constantly change as will the locos , relief drivers, shift patterns and visitors that may come and go.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Oh dear oh DEER

From Don Gatehouse on flickr.

Freshly Painted 26

ooh... I like that... and funnily enough.. I have a Class 27 with a Stag on too   ;o)

Treated myself for my birthday last month... ( as one does).

The 26 Railfreight  looks real nice with a Stag on... hmmm

Steve

20240408_143840 (Medium).jpg

Posted (edited)

Working on the end of the layouts 'fill in' piece today...

If you don't enjoy watching paint dry.... then try some tarmac instead 😄

Yes, the tarmac crew  were in the depot again... again using AK Asphalt .. I really am impressed with this stuff..

It is very fine textured paint, water based /acrylic...  so for my last bit of laying the black stuff.. here's a photo walk thro..

• Gloves are essential, though as its water based, it cleans up easy enough with a wet wipe.
  • Mask off where you don't want it to go.
  • Have your brush/ water and spreader ready (I used a Lakeland cake icing smoother) but a spatula would also work.
  • Straight from the AK Asphalt tub ( BTW this pot was £10.99 but its done all this 7- 8 foot length approx 10" wide and I still have some left for touching up)
  • No Stirring, just plop it in situ with a wet brush .. 
  • Using the wetted spreader/smoother, at an angle , simply smooth it over the area.. taking out any excess material / ripples etc..
  • Here, a bit of water is your friend to get it fairly level.
  • Repeat as necessary... doesn't need to be thick.
  • Leave to dry... preferably overnight.
  • All that remains is to 'tone' down the new black tarmac with a fine foam sanding block.
  • I think it looks effective, once it's been toned down, and much better than printed tarmac card  or wet n dry paper etc.
  • Add details as desired, pot holes, weeds, puddles etc.. Finally.. if you want some 'loose material' just brush up some of the debris from the sanding action.

There you have it... as good as watching paint dry 😃

I shall update a photo of the toned down area  when its' all dry.

Cheers

Steve

20240327_152732 (Medium).jpg

20240408_140002 (Medium).jpg

20240408_140105 (Medium).jpg

20240408_140222 (Medium).jpg#

20240408_140622 (Medium).jpg

20240408_141221 (Medium).jpg

20240408_142002 (Medium).jpg

20240408_142656 (Medium).jpg

20240408_143647 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

26's are one of my downfalls............ I think I have 6 so far..........

They are a minefield of different details even with the liveries, the RF version as mentioned there are various options of Dog, the Stag and I think a few had the Haymarket Castle. I think I have even found one with the ScR infrastructure logo under the second mans window. The one thing to watch (If you are so inclined) is a number of 26's received class 27 engine room doors for some strange reason. 26035 for example in the pic below you can clearly see the engine room door window is significantly higher than the other bodyside windows, this was only on one side.

BRITISH RAILWAYS CLASS 26 DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE 26035

Also watch out with 26/0's, the first batch have additional cant rail grills amongst other things. 

• Like 1

Thanks Al, 

I now know more than I did prior to your post ;o)

Nice photo too, illustrating your point.

I do have several of Richards books on the Class 26, and have to confess, I am  so busy with the layout, the loco's  are much  later in the project.

I can look for those differences within the books when I get there.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1