Useful NCE Powercab PCP Panel modification.

Firstly, I can claim no originality for this idea. It's something that @James Hilton of this Parish mentioned almost 'off the cuff' in one of his layout videos on YouTube.

As anyone who has the NCE Powercab knows, the PCP fascia panel has the track power output connection and the 12vDC input socket at the rear of it. James mentioned that he'd modified the panel so the input socket is on the front, along with the sockets that connect the Powercab itself, a very useful modification especially for micro & shelf layouts.

I emailed James about it, as I think it's a genius idea, and he explained the simple procedure.

I thought others might find it useful too, so with due credit to James, here's how I did it.

First you need a "DC Supply Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5x2.1mm". 

Then I drilled an 8mm dia. hole in the panel, checking the space behind so it doesn't hit anything else. I offset it so it doesn't get in the way of the Powercab sockets.

20240402_113954.jpg.032d5433e8f2d31931ea9dfd973f2e9c.jpg

The socket is then wired to the same points on the pcb that the original socket is soldered to, just making sure they are the same - centre-pin to centre-pin, & outer rim to outer rim points.

20240402_114448.jpg.597d461306eed8a98d0d222d3ca9aad4.jpg

Et voilá - fitted on the layout fascia, the layout can sit on a flat surface without needing to connect the 12v input lead behind the fascia - just plugged in to the front along with the throttle cable.

20240402_121441.jpg.cb8cf7447b871119dd8001fb6b2189b1.jpg

Many thanks to James for such a simple but great idea!!!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

First you need a "DC Supply Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5x2.1mm".

I'm using a 5.5 x 2.5 mm socket with my PowerCab (I've mounted the PCP panel on a box with a current limiter and voltmeter). The plug on my PSU lead is a nice snug fit on a 2.5 mm rod.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

20240402_121441.jpg.cb8cf7447b871119dd8001fb6b2189b1.jpg

Do you know that you shouldn't crimp that type of cable with the sheath cut back that far, it should be held in the plug's cable grip when it has been crimped?

I would be wary of it's possible lack of longevity.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Do you know that you shouldn't crimp that type of cable with the sheath cut back that far, it should be held in the plug's cable grip when it has been crimped?

I would be wary of it's possible lack of longevity.

Yes, and if I had done it, or it was a genuine NCE one, it would be better. But this was a cheapo lead off ebay, as I don't have the required crimper, and used the original lead as part of the control bus on my main layout. 😉

But yes you make a valid point that people should be aware of. 👍

1 hour ago, Jim Easterbrook said:

I'm using a 5.5 x 2.5 mm socket with my PowerCab (I've mounted the PCP panel on a box with a current limiter and voltmeter). The plug on my PSU lead is a nice snug fit on a 2.5 mm rod.

Interesting. I measured the pin inside the original socket as best I could and it is 2.1mm. The new socket I got is also 2.1mm and the NCE plug fits it spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Interesting. I measured the pin inside the original socket as best I could and it is 2.1mm. The new socket I got is also 2.1mm and the NCE plug fits it spot on.

I've run into problems with these power plugs before (Skywatcher EQ-6 mount, for those who know what that is). I wonder if NCE changed socket type at some point. Something to check before buying a socket anyway.

Another point to check is that sometimes the sprung contact is in the plug and sometimes it's in the socket. Unsprung plug in unsprung socket means trouble.

Edited by Jim Easterbrook
Addendum re sprung contacts.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yes, and if I had done it, or it was a genuine NCE one, it would be better. But this was a cheapo lead off ebay, as I don't have the required crimper, and used the original lead as part of the control bus on my main layout. 😉

Crimping pliers on eBay about £9. P.ugs very cheap.

Dave

14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Kev at Coastal dcc make NCE flat cable to any length, work a treat.

• Informative/Useful 1