Fitting generic blanking plug to Bachmann 4MT Tank

Hi, I have just bought a used Bachmann 32-355 Class 4MT Tank on ebay and found that it has no blanking plug and so a non-runner.  Looking at the 8-pin socket there is no marker to show which way round the plug should be fitted.  I have ordered a generic plug NEM 652 from DCC Supplies.  Is it safe to try the plug in either direction?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TyBryn said:

Hi, I have just bought a used Bachmann 32-355 Class 4MT Tank on ebay and found that it has no blanking plug and so a non-runner.  Looking at the 8-pin socket there is no marker to show which way round the plug should be fitted.  I have ordered a generic plug NEM 652 from DCC Supplies.  Is it safe to try the plug in either direction?

Yes it will work either way round. The loco does not have lights.

2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi TyBryn,

If you are not going to run it as DCC and intend to keep running DC you can easily rewire it and cut out the DCC wiring all to gether.

But its quicker and easier to install a blanking plug than start cutting and soldering...

Plus if its sold on at a later date, being DCC Ready might be an advantage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for your reply Cypherman but Hroth gets to the heart of it.

The blanking plug has arrived and is fitted.  Loco works perfectly.

Now that I have tested the loco with DC and blanking plate can I assume that, with a working decoder and DCC controller, it will continue to function properly with DCC?

If its working as expected with a blanking plug fitted then its reasonable to expect that it will work fine with a decoder fitted.

I suspect the vendor had a use for a previously fitted decoder that they then removed for sale and couldn't be bothered to leave the loco functional under DC!