Coach Bogies

I wonder if anyone can help regarding availability of different coach bogies?

I have been using the Southern Pride Models nylon coach bogies for years with good success. They are free running and easily allow a variety of sideframes to be used. However, I think Mr. SPM is running down his business and these bogies haven’t been available for some time.

So, the question is, does anyone know of a similar type of coach bogies that I could use instead? I could use MJT, but quite like the rigid SPM type.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Stafford Road Works, 3D producer trading through Shapeways, variety of GW bogies from Dean 6' up to but not including Pressed Steel with Hornby, Lima, and Bachmann mounting pins and NEM pockets, very free-running with Bachmann or Hornby wheelsets.  Could be better finish, but since these components get covered in weathering on my layout this is not a problem, not cheap but simplicity to install and good runners.

Thanks for your replies Mike and The Johnster. I think maybe I didn't quite explain what I was looking for very clearly.

The SPM bogies are basic rigid plastic mouldings with a standard 8'6" wheelbase. There are no moulded details and you attach the sideframes of your choice to them. I have used them in a variety of projects and have attached sideframes such as the BX1 as used on Class 313's and 507's etc. I was looking for a replacement for the SPM bogie as I have a number of MU projects that use the more modern type sideframes.

Certainly Replica Railways are very good and they sit under variety of my stock using B1, B4, B5 etc. I'm not aware of the other manufacturer, but will check them out as it sounds useful.

So, any ideas on an SPM replacement?

Steve

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Thanks for your replies Mike and The Johnster. I think maybe I didn't quite explain what I was looking for very clearly.

The SPM bogies are basic rigid plastic mouldings with a standard 8'6" wheelbase. There are no moulded details and you attach the sideframes of your choice to them. I have used them in a variety of projects and have attached sideframes such as the BX1 as used on Class 313's and 507's etc. I was looking for a replacement for the SPM bogie as I have a number of MU projects that use the more modern type sideframes.

Certainly Replica Railways are very good and they sit under variety of my stock using B1, B4, B5 etc. I'm not aware of the other manufacturer, but will check them out as it sounds useful.

So, any ideas on an SPM replacement?

Steve

If I'm understanding you, wouldn't just cutting off the existing detail on an RTR bogie and filing it smooth achieve the desired outcome?

Mike.

8 hours ago, RexAshton said:

Nothing stopping you make MJT ones rigid but your stock would run better with the compensation and they're easy to assemble.

Thanks Rex, I have used the MJT bogies quite a few times. I was basically looking for an SMP lookalike, but it seems there may not be one.

So it looks like I may have go back  to MJT anyway. 

Thanks for everyones input.

Whilst on the subject of bogies. I have a few dmu projects that are going to need inside frame bogies, such as the recent CAF dmu's like the Class 197 for instance. I have had a look around, but haven't seen anything or missed them. Anyone any ideas if anyone makes them?

Steve