Powdered graphite

Anyone else use this on bogie pivots and pinpoint axles?  It can turn a coach that drags into one that almost runs for ever.  I take the axles out, put a tiny amount into the holes, and refit the axles.  Works well on "N" gauge, where coaches can easily be draggy due to the low weight.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I use pencil graphite as lubricant for plastic-on-plastic interfaces, much the same principle and a tip from Cyril Freezer in a Constructor back in the 60s, also IIRC mentioned in Airfix magazine (who remembers that?) as a way to get construction kit valve gear working smoothly.  Actually, I suspect this might be better for your purpose than powdered graphite, as it is less likely to get into places where it can gum things up; like all lubricants, use as sparingly as you can manage!

I have long ago eliminated plastic wheels on my stock, which runs pretty well by and large; the RTR stuff is the standard metal pinpoint axle/coned plastic bearing thing, which will presumably eventually wear out but some of my stock has been in service for 8 years now and is still rolling well enough.  Kit stock has brass bearings and runs superbly so long as I've managed to build it square and true.  Pencil graphite lube is particularly useful for RTR bogie pivots.  Plastic wheels are 'orrible little things, impossible to set back2backs and spreaders of crud, and my reccomendation is to give them the oppurtunity of an exciting new career in the landfill industry, same goes for traction tyres, Satan's snot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Yes, most annoying that Rapido put Satan's snot on the class 28 as apparently it slipped too much when they tried a sample without them.  Ironically, the prototype was known for its impressive tractive effort (and unreliability, and windows that fell out, and smoke, and burning down Barrow shed).

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

I use graphite powder which I bought online for for my door locks. Extremely fine powder that goes everywhere if you are not careful.  Absolutely brilliant for pinpoints as it doesn't attract dust or attack plastic like oil can.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Two more plus points for graphite.

Where it might be seen, it looks like authentic railway filth. As well as bogie pivots it keeps close coupling mechanisms functioning smoothly, especially helping moulded gangway faceplates slide smoothly in and out of contact.

Screaming wipers or window rubbers, squeaking actuator among the controls, and the like on your wheels? Fixes those. (Of course you discover you need it whan 600 miles from home, but that's life.)

• RMweb Gold

Kadee has for decades offered powdered graphite as its recommended lubricant for its knuckle couplers. It comes in a tube that acts as a sort of puffer-bottle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Kadee has for decades offered powdered graphite as its recommended lubricant for its knuckle couplers. It comes in a tube that acts as a sort of puffer-bottle. 

Called 'Grease 'em'.  Bit of a misnomer!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Probably repackaged locksmith's graphite like mine!

• Agree 4

Apart from Grease' em and the pencil trick I've scraped pencil graphite as a lubricant, It will even make plastic to plastic (avoid if possible) slippery. Don't use oil on plastic!

On 13/04/2024 at 07:04, rogerzilla said:

Probably repackaged locksmith's graphite like mine!

Locksmith's graphite is a fraction of the price.

• Like 1