1949 oo gauge Graham farish black 5. Where to find?

There's this one in dire need of TLC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204743337409?

The tender body was acetate plastic and almost invariably warped so not a great loss, but you'd be on your own for the valve gear. Possibly Dublo or Tri-ang parts could be used.

The 2 pole motor is a dead loss. The shorter (14xx 0-4-2T) Airfix 3 pole one will fit.

Watch out for the dreaded zinc pest!

Or this one is still available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256478572468?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

It's  obviously written by or lifted from someone/somewhere that knows little of what they are discussing. A little learning....

The lining on the model would need redoing for a start (strictly a Farish G.P.5 should have no lining at all!)

A Dublo 8F tender body should be OK, but a bit of filing may be necessary.

5 hours ago, John R Smith said:

Have you read the description on this listing? What a load of total codswallop!

Gets my b***cks of the week award . . .

It's AI.  There's a lot of it about this past month or so on ebay. "The scale is 1:148 and the gauge is OO" is a classic! Obviously it spotted that Graham Farish products are now N gauge but didn't actually understand the concept of scale and gauge description.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

It's AI.  There's a lot of it about this past month or so on ebay. "The scale is 1:148 and the gauge is OO" is a classic! Obviously it spotted that Graham Farish products are now N gauge but didn't actually understand the concept of scale and gauge description.

Nor do many people putting stuff on eBay!

• Agree 1

On 19/04/2024 at 12:47, trainman0 said:

I've been looking for a while now, Where can I find one? I don't care if it's a non-runner!

maxresdefault.jpg

A bit thin on the ground recently and prices seem to have gone up . Are you after any 'bits' in particular ?

On 20/04/2024 at 14:23, Captain Slough said:

Dublo 8F tender body might be a good replacement

8f tender is a bit longer

Bob 

I have seen descriptions like this recently on eBay from another seller.  I didn't realise it was AI though, I just thought it was just someone who couldn't string a few words together properly writing about something they didn't know anything about.  Obviously though, two different people wouldn't be able to come up with near identical gibberish.  I thought AI was supposed to be a bit better than this......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Where can I find one? I don't care if it's a non-runner!

I've got this one - definitely a non runner, as the zinc pest has allowed the tender drawbar to pull off the tender chassis completely, along with the front of the motor drive gubbins. Displays OK if you don't look to hard!  PM me if interested?

PP1150829.JPG.e3302fd61699a926b5d187d31e0b9b8c.JPGPP1150832.JPG.ff89e2296f3d10163834940118c95ec0.JPGPP1150834.JPG.36bc09add3c0cb71a83e517ffa35f92b.JPG

Somewhere on RMWeb theres a pic of a Farish 5 running with a Dublo castle chassis (early type with "half-inch" motor rather than Ringfield, a ringfield would never fit), and Dublo 8F tender

Which gets rid of all the metal fatigue and chassis problems, at least.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Captain Slough said:

Somewhere on RMWeb theres a pic of a Farish 5 running with a Dublo castle chassis (early type with "half-inch" motor rather than Ringfield, a ringfield would never fit), and Dublo 8F tender

But is it then Farish?

CJI.

On 26/04/2024 at 09:42, Captain Slough said:

Serious amounts of metal to be removed to make the body fit

Edited by bobthemilk
Duplicated-dotage : (

I've been looking for a while now, Where can I find one? I don't care if it's a non-runner!

maxresdefault.jpg

eBay item number-156191259468

And another one

Posted (edited)

Seller by the name 'AT MODEL SHOP' / atmodel18 on ebay has a large selection of graham farish oo gauge  ( possibly one of each example ) locomotives and coaches , the AI descriptions are varied and verbose :  )

I hope others find this of interest including the elusive 4 wheel coach - ebay item number 364871773222

Bob

Edited by bobthemilk
doh!