The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

looking for a Car Routing site or app

ianwales

Hi all

I have just started a small part time job where I have to journey from a start point to an end point via 2 or 3 other places, but, I need to be at the end point at a certain time, I've found places where I can set a start time and the app or site will give you the best route to the end point via the the intermediates, but, does anyone know of an app or website that will allow you to set an arrival time at the destination then work out what time you need to begin your journey via the other stops?

Ian

Google maps allows you to select "Arrive by" rather than "Leave now" - there is a little marker next to the default "Leave now" which allows you to make the change. I ma not sure if it allows you to opick intermediate destinations, you would have to check.

• Agree 1

I think there's also a route option that includes 'via points;' at least there used to be when I used Google Maps about 10 years ago.

There still is.  If there are multiple intermediate points, then it won't give you the optimum order for these - it just assumes that you want to visit them in the order that you add them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

There still is.  If there are multiple intermediate points, then it won't give you the optimum order for these - it just assumes that you want to visit them in the order that you add them.

I've looked at Google, AA and RAC planners and this seems to be the same with all  3, If I want to go from A to B via CDE then that is the way it will route, what I am looking for is something that will say you want to arrive at B by a certain time and the optimum route is ADCE to B and you need to leave A at this time to arrive at B by the specified time. I know its can't take account of traffic but all I want is something to plan my route and give me an idea of how long the best route will take.

Ian

Edited by ianwales

• RMweb Premium

I think that all you can do is set them up as seperate journeys.

I suspect the reason it won't do as you wish, is because there are just too many variables. Remember the apps are continuously calculating a single journey between 2 points, including factoring in traffic conditions.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I suspect the reason it won't do as you wish, is because there are just too many variables. Remember the apps are continuously calculating a single journey between 2 points, including factoring in traffic conditions.

Adding to my previous thoughts, regarding seperate journeys, you would be best creating your journey from your end point, from the 2nd last point and gradually working towards your starting location.

Because you need to work out what time you need to leave, to get to your final destination on time, if that makes sense.

Edit

No, it doesn't work on Google Maps, you only get the option of adding destinations in the 'Leave Now' option. Others are only a starting and end point.

Edited by kevinlms
More info

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

A couple of intermediate points should be doable, but even without the changing conditions it starts getting interesting computationally when the numbers increase (see the Travelling Salesman Problem).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

all you can do is set them up as seperate journeys.

No need to. In Google maps you can re-order your intermediate points by sliding them up and down the list to see which gives the shortest mileage or fastest time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ianwales said:

I've looked at Google, AA and RAC planners and this seems to be the same with all  3, If I want to go from A to B via CDE then that is the way it will route, what I am looking for is something that will say you want to arrive at B by a certain time and the optimum route is ADCE to B and you need to leave A at this time to arrive at B by the specified time. I know its can't take account of traffic but all I want is something to plan my route and give me an idea of how long the best route will take.

Ian

I guess the obvious question is what is your budget?  There are lots of software packages out there to derive optimum delivery schedules and routes, which presumably all the large logistics and delivery companies use.  The issue is that most of them cost money - they're more than just an app for your phone.  A quick google search threw up https://www.upperinc.com/blog/best-delivery-route-planner-app/#:~:text=Some prominent delivery route planner,%2C RouteXL%2C and Speedy Route. which seems to give some of the pros and cons of each package, albeit the cost information is given in dollars.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No need to. In Google maps you can re-order your intermediate points by sliding them up and down the list to see which gives the shortest mileage or fastest time.

Indeed, I was just looking at that!

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

No, it doesn't work on Google Maps, you only get the option of adding destinations in the 'Leave Now' option. Others are only a starting and end point.

As soon as you add a second destination, all the timing options are removed and it just gives the end-to-end journey time (presumably on a 'Leave Now' basis, though it doesn't say that).  This is for Google Maps in Safari on a Mac.  In Chrome on the Mac it doesn't offer any timing options at all.  So Google's own web app is less functional in Google's own browser than Apple's?  Go figure.

The same goes for the Google Maps app on Android.  How peculiar.