Coil D

While watching the following video about  railway development in Sheffield in the mid 1960's on You Tube 'Vintage railway film - Freight and a city - 1966' at around the 3minute 15 second point it shows a short clip where strip coils are being loaded onto plate wagons with 3 cradles pointing eye to the wagon end. 

As you can see from the attached snip they are labelled as Coil D but I haven't found any reference to them anywhere before.  The train (as shown in the second snip) was apparently a daily block train run to Birmingham and in the film is hauled by two class 31's. 

Can anyone shed any light on these conversions please?  Ideally when they were modified and or disposed of and were they used anywhere else. 

Thank you

coil D 2.png

coil d.png

Edited by Paul Furner
spelling mistake

44 minutes ago, Paul Furner said:

While watching the following video about  railway development in Sheffield in the mid 1960's on You Tube 'Vintage railway film - Freight and a city - 1966' at around the 3minute 15 second point it shows a short clip where strip coils are being loaded onto plate wagons with 3 cradles pointing eye to the wagon end. 

As you can see from the attached snip they are labelled as Coil D but I haven't found any reference to them anywhere before.  The train (as shown in the second snip) was apparently a daily block train run to Birmingham and in the film is hauled by two class 31's. 

Can anyone shed any light on these conversions please?  Ideally when they were modified and or disposed of and were they used anywhere else. 

Thank you

coil D 2.png

coil d.png

Aren't these the former 2/001 ARM WE armour plate wagons?

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Aren't these the former 2/001 ARM WE armour plate wagons?

John Isherwood.

No, they were bogie wagons. These are four-wheelers.

The wagons are TOPS KDV, converted from SPV 22.5 ton plate wagons. They are only periphary to my interest and I have only come across them in passing. I don't think I've seen the built-in cradles before. I see from Paul Bartlett that they (or some of them at any rate) were originally LNER Diag 196: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerplate

Pictures of Coil D wagons after conversion seem to be rather elusive.

On 23/04/2024 at 23:15, Mark Saunders said:

The drawing for the plate conversion (without side doors) was published by Trevor Mann in the Model Railway Constructor, Annual of 1983.

The text states traffic from Rotherham.

Parkgate Steelworks?

On 23/04/2024 at 23:15, Mark Saunders said:

The drawing for the plate conversion (without side doors) was published by Trevor Mann in the Model Railway Constructor, Annual of 1983.

The text states traffic from Rotherham.

Many thanks for all the helpful comments although it would seem from the film that the initial conversion left the sides on.