Japanese Modular modeller

This part of the forum is quite quiet but there is no specific areas for modular and it's not a layou topic per se.

This chap appeared on my feed, he's using some interesting modules and Kato track to build stuff and it's a proper table top idea.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

It's proper table top stuff isn't it, and I imagine a lot easier to store that a flat baseboard, then there is the ability to change it all about - a sort of model railway scalextric.  I know you can do that with Kato unitrack, but the modules allow scenery into the fray which elevates it above basic track laying.

• Agree 1

What is missing are junction modules so this particular module set is restricted to a single circuit, but I guess if you add a junction you'd need a second table and it's no longer a table top layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's an interesting concept - I've seen something similar done in 009 using Peco track. The builder had narrow (generally <6") wide modules that plugged together in any order to give a meandering single-track branch line across his table top.

The videos do show how well Kato Unitrack can be integrated into a layout - once weathered I struggled to tell it from regular code 80 in those videos.

Kato have been pushing their Mini-Diorama's in the UK for the last 18 months or so which are a similar concept (often with wild and wacky results) but using very tight radius curves.

In the UK, T-TRAK has slowly grown in popularity over the last few years with several N Gauge Society Area Groups now having modules. They're a lot wider so allow for more scenery, but with a bit less flexibility in track plan compared to the modules above.

Steven B

• Like 2

Another variation on the concept, a bit bigger and using simple MDF boards by the looks of things.

Requires something to put it on, but you could do multiple railways this way and swap between I guess