Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Japanese Modular modeller

This part of the forum is quite quiet but there is no specific areas for modular and it's not a layou topic per se.

This chap appeared on my feed, he's using some interesting modules and Kato track to build stuff and it's a proper table top idea.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

It's proper table top stuff isn't it, and I imagine a lot easier to store that a flat baseboard, then there is the ability to change it all about - a sort of model railway scalextric.  I know you can do that with Kato unitrack, but the modules allow scenery into the fray which elevates it above basic track laying.

• Agree 1

What is missing are junction modules so this particular module set is restricted to a single circuit, but I guess if you add a junction you'd need a second table and it's no longer a table top layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's an interesting concept - I've seen something similar done in 009 using Peco track. The builder had narrow (generally <6") wide modules that plugged together in any order to give a meandering single-track branch line across his table top.

The videos do show how well Kato Unitrack can be integrated into a layout - once weathered I struggled to tell it from regular code 80 in those videos.

Kato have been pushing their Mini-Diorama's in the UK for the last 18 months or so which are a similar concept (often with wild and wacky results) but using very tight radius curves.

In the UK, T-TRAK has slowly grown in popularity over the last few years with several N Gauge Society Area Groups now having modules. They're a lot wider so allow for more scenery, but with a bit less flexibility in track plan compared to the modules above.

Steven B

• Like 3

Another variation on the concept, a bit bigger and using simple MDF boards by the looks of things.

Requires something to put it on, but you could do multiple railways this way and swap between I guess