Was there a W1W after nationalisation?

I don't know about an ex-GWR  vehicle vehicle bearing such a low number, but I saw an ex-SR van bearing an S*S number as late as 1972; it was one of the 3 4-wheeel passenger brakes for Continental work,                                         *S

There was a W1, a diesel railcar; whether it lasted long enough to get the suffix as well I don't know. W7W probably did.

12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I don't know about an ex-GWR  vehicle vehicle bearing such a low number, but I saw an ex-SR van bearing an S*S number as late as 1972; it was one of the 3 4-wheeel passenger brakes for Continental work, 

S1S - S3S. Originally blue and dual braked for working on the Night Ferry service. Ceased to be ferry vans 1960, air brake removed and painted green for general use. S1S and S2S were withdrawn in1969; S3S in 1974.

• Informative/Useful 1

W1W to W6W (to Lot 1650, built 1941) were a series of 4-Wheel, Covered Carriage Trucks.

Diagram P22 - 30' 6" x 8 ' 6" , 11 ton 11cwt. The next numbered CCT was W8W of diagram P8.

There was also a separate number series for Auto Coaches running from W1W to W256W.

W1W was a 59' 6" long, matchboard sided trailer to diagram A, whilst W7W was a 59' 6", panelled trailer to diagram C.

Also there was a horsebox, W7W, of diagram N12.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cwmtwrch said:

There was a W1, a diesel railcar; whether it lasted long enough to get the suffix as well I don't know. W7W probably did.

S1S - S3S. Originally blue and dual braked for working on the Night Ferry service. Ceased to be ferry vans 1960, air brake removed and painted green for general use. S1S and S2S were withdrawn in1969; S3S in 1974.

S3S was painted blue sometime before withdrawal; I saw it at Swansea High St in 1972.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yes. a diagram A Auto trailer and a P22 Carriage truck. A Diesel railcar, there may be others

There's also a W2W Carriage truck, a W2W Horse box and a W2W Autotrailer and a W2W diesel Railcar.

The GWR numbered all it's different class of vehicles in individual number lists.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2024 at 11:26, Fat Controller said:

I don't know about an ex-GWR  vehicle vehicle bearing such a low number, but I saw an ex-SR van bearing an S*S number as late as 1972; it was one of the 3 4-wheeel passenger brakes for Continental work,                                         *S

The GW, and subsequently the WR, had separate number series for different types of passenger and NPCC stock.  An auto-trailer series and Railcar series certainly survived into BR days and carried the W suffix starting at number 1, and there were numbers 1 in  coaching stock, horse box, carriage truck, and Cordon series but I am unsure when they were withdrawn, which could possibly be before 1948.  There was an SRM series at one time as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2024 at 11:15, Metr0Land said:

The GWR dynamometer car became W7W after nationalisation, which has got me thinking, was there a W1W and if so, what?

The dynamometer car was numbered in the Pilot Van series also called "Accident Vans Etc".  Pilot Van W1W was still in use in 1948.  It was built in May 1908, was 31' long with a sliding door in the middle of each side.  By 1948 it was allocated to Westbury, no condemnation date is recorded in the registers so it was probably survived beyond 1960.  Sister van W22W built to the same design a couple of months later was photographed by Paul Bartlett at Llanelly: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrdeptcoach

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1