If I wired A Normal Hornby DC controller to my 0 gauge track would it be able to work

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It should be okay but I am not sure what DC controller that you are using. I have an old H&M Executive controller which has a total output of 2 amps and I am able to test any new DC loco that I purchase with no issues even the double motored Heljan loco's. You can purchase these relatively cheaply from a well known auction website. I hope this helps.

Edited by jcarta

Probably OK. although O gauge locos usually draw a bit more current thant OO.

A don't know how much the Dapol 121 draws, but I'd be surpised if its more than 1A, especially since they don't usually have to haul anything else.

There have been a lot of controllers over the years.  Controller should have stamped on a rating plate or moulded into the plastic either a maximum current or power consumption. 

If that is at least 1 Amp (=12 VA or 12 Watts at 12v) it should cope

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Probably OK. although O gauge locos usually draw a bit more current thant OO.

A don't know how much the Dapol 121 draws, but I'd be surpised if its more than 1A, especially since they don't usually have to haul anything else.

There have been a lot of controllers over the years.  Controller should have stamped on a rating plate or moulded into the plastic either a maximum current or power consumption. 

If that is at least 1 Amp (=12 VA or 12 Watts at 12v) it should cope

They draw about 0.65 so should be fine, I use a 1amp controller and have removed the second motor on my larger diesels to keep the current draw below 1amp

Don't expect too much. I recently tested my newly completed Q6 with a Canon /ABC power using an ancient controller ( either Hornby or Trix but almost certainly made by H&M). In short, it was almost an on / off form of control. Later on Frydale it performed much better with an equally ancient Kent roller. It now awaits a conversion to dcc.

0.5amp = No Chance.

I have an old H&M Duette (doesn't everyone?) which is 1amp each output IIRC; whatever, it always tripped out when I tried my first O Scale loco, which was only an old Atlas/Roco 0-6-0 Plymouth switcher. I got a 2amp controller which was fine for everything subsequently, twin-motor Heljans included.

• Like 1

I would respectfully suggest that if you are contemplating spending hundreds of pounds on locos then “cheapest” might not be the best criterion to apply to the purchase of a controller. Personally, I would strongly recommend Gaugemaster, who supply various very good controllers of different ratings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hello,

these smaller 0 Gauge locos have motors about the size of H0 Gauge motors. Meaning their drawn amperage is just the same as H0 gauge locos.

For this it is possible to use for a single small sized loco this 0.5A DC controller.

The double motored big Diesels are another class.

The nearly standard motor is the type RS-385PH. Not only made by Mabuchi, but also made by many Chinese manufacturers. The techincal data are mostly the same.

Datasheet: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-down/R/S/-/RS-385PH-MABUCHI.pdf

The type RS-385PH-17120 is the respective one. Datasheet says, normal amperage is about 0.5A. But the stall current is fully 3A.

And with two motor locos the stall current is summed up to 6A.

In question with the 0.5A DC controller, that means for bigger locos a clear NO.

Lutz

Your Dapol 121 should be perfectly ok with a basic Hornby controller, I've just tested a Dapol Jinty on a yard of Peco track, using a 9v PP3 battery!  Worked fine...

I'd suggest that a Gaugemaster Combi controller would be a better long term bet for the 121 and for Dapol 0-6-0 and similar locos.  If you're intending to run anything bigger, a Gaugemaster GMC100-MO single controller or a GMC-DO double controller would be suitable.  If you want to economise, the Morley Vanguard double controller mighr be a better bet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...