Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Crownline Drummond 700

Posted (edited)

Hello all..

I have been offered quite a nice built model of a Crownline Drummond 700. However it has a fault in that the boiler doesn’t sit level. I am unable to see it in the flesh or ask any questions just at the moment so does anyone know if it will have a resin(?) boiler? If that’ is the case will such things as smothering it in Nitromors to ‘melt’ the (thought to be epoxy) adhesive prior to reassembly do irreparable damage to the boiler do we think?

Any comments gratefully received 

Hugh

Edited by cabbie37
Missing glue info

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yes I am fairly certain that the Crownline 700 Class kit is much the same as the PDK Kit, i.e. with a brass rolled boiler.

When you say the boiler is not level is it high/low at which end? The smokebox end is mounted on a brass saddle made up of a front and rear support, the firebox end is located by the spectacle plate and the running plate. Depending on circumstances, it should be relatively easy to rectify providing you are reasonaby ok with a soldering iron and some de-soldering braid.

Some images of the one I built earlier which may help:

IMG_7779.JPG.217a785b8e7754caa49e9d5dab5a653b.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG.8cd4791ce5d70a3905c39b1cd2de5af2.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG.c58514b1aa1d74071e8f57a8f6a51c76.JPG

IMG_7806.JPG.a550a42f687a64030b8cd81a4133d11e.JPG

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for those encouraging comments. I knew Crownline had morphed into PDK and looked at the instructions for the 700 earlier today. It will be great if the boiler is indeed rolled brass. The boiler is high at the smoke box end. I am told only by a mm or so, though it looks higher. The camera can play funny tricks but also the eye is very sensitive to horizontal and vertical lines.

Edit: Thanks so much for the photos 30368. Much appreciated..

Class 700B.jpeg

Edited by cabbie37
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cabbie37 said:

Thanks so much for the photos 30368. Much appreciated..

Pleasure.

Yes it can be very tricky to determine where the error lies. I notice that the running plate seems low at the cab end, which would make things appear worse but on balance I would agree, the smokebox is too high.

Give me a shout if you want more images of 30368 - which is what the loco above became.

Kind regards,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cabbie37 said:

Thank you all for those encouraging comments. I knew Crownline had morphed into PDK and looked at the instructions for the 700 earlier today. It will be great if the boiler is indeed rolled brass. The boiler is high at the smoke box end. I am told only by a mm or so, though it looks higher. The camera can play funny tricks but also the eye is very sensitive to horizontal and vertical lines.

Edit: Thanks so much for the photos 30368. Much appreciated..

Class 700B.jpeg

Umm! deffo way out...sorry.

Considering that the RTR one is a superb Model and seems there are plenty available, would you still want this? Is there a sentimental connection? If so that's up to you of course. Also as 30368 says, it could be done...but at what lengths?

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Phil

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Umm! deffo way out...sorry.

Considering that the RTR one is a superb Model and seems there are plenty available, would you still want this? Is there a sentimental connection? If so that's up to you of course. Also as 30368 says, it could be done...but at what lengths?

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Phil

Maybe the OP wants one in original (Drummond) condition?

• Like 2

Actually, I do have a Hornby model and very good it is too… My motivation here is the challenge of bringing back a disappointing build to something more reasonable. It will be good experience for me as locomotive kit building is not my forte.. I think it could make a lovely end product (it has all the right bits under the skin) and I will have the pleasure of thinking ‘I did that’.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, cabbie37 said:

Actually, I do have a Hornby model and very good it is too… My motivation here is the challenge of bringing back a disappointing build to something more reasonable. It will be good experience for me as locomotive kit building is not my forte.. I think it could make a lovely end product (it has all the right bits under the skin) and I will have the pleasure of thinking ‘I did that’.

Ah that makes sense then if you are confident about all that. Brilliant and you will get excellent support from 30368.

13 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Maybe the OP wants one in original (Drummond) condition?

Could be but see my quick response above.

Phil

Posted (edited)

Well, I have committed to the purchase. In truth, it isn't hugely expensive so I can take the risk of the rebuild. I won't actually get the model for a week and then won't be able to embark on any work for a little while after that. I propose to continue this thread when I actually get it on the bench in front of me.  I hope you won't mind if I come back from time to time as I work through the restoration with questions on how to overcome issues that I encounter and what my best approaches might be. 

If anyone would like to suggest initial approaches I might take, I would be grateful. I guess my first task is to strip the paint so I can get a better idea of construction. As I say, I *think* it maybe an epoxy approach..

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far....

Edited by cabbie37
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, cabbie37 said:

Well, I have committed to the purchase. In truth, it isn't hugely expensive so I can take the risk of the rebuild. I won't actually get the model for a week and then won't be able to embark on any work for a little while after that. I propose to continue this thread when I actually get it on the bench in front of me.  I hope you won't mind if I come back from time to time as I work through the restoration with questions on how to overcome issues that I encounter and what my best approaches might be. 

If anyone would like to suggest initial approaches I might take, I would be grateful. I guess my first task is to strip the paint so I can get a better idea of construction. As I say, I *think* it maybe an epoxy approach..

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far....

I know 30368 and he is going to be very helpful indeed. He has literally only recently building one of these as he mentioned but he was too polite to say he took it over from me, as I'd given up 15 years ag or so!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know 30368 and he is going to be very helpful indeed. He has literally only recently building one of these as he mentioned but he was too polite to say he took it over from me, as I'd given up 15 years ag or so!

Thanks Phil.

Happy to help Cabbie37 and I am keen to promote and support anyone who wants to try their hand at loco restoration leading to loco building.

Perhaps you might want to look at my record of building 30368:

Feel free to ask for help either here or you can PM me.

Kind regards,

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1