CLC 3RD CLASS RAILWAY TICKETS

I was led to believe 3rd class ended in 1956 did BR continue issuing

these tickets long after into the 60s i have seen CLC tickets with these

dates so presumidly BR still had stock of them.

• RMweb Premium

I think tickets were issued post nationalisation until stocks were used up.  I remember visiting the Bluebell Railway very early in the 60s and being offered a Southern Railways ticket at the BR station as a souvenir - at of course the full 60s price.   It only cost a couple of pence (old ones of course) so was probably for the next station - a journey not frequently taken by those times.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes having CLC printed on them makes them pre nationalisation

but wanted to confirm these were  sold in the 60s i have a couple

with early 60s dates i presume being  printed Third Class  they

were issued as Second.

I don't really see the difference - I don't think the CLC had such a thing as second in 1948.  So pre-nationalisation or post, 3rd or 2nd, you'd be using up the same stock of cardboard under the Edmundson system.  You couldn't physically have reprinted everything overnight on nationalisation on on abolition of 3rd even if you could have cost-justified it.

I imagine something similar must have happened at Grouping.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It was quite common for stations to retain old stocks of  tickets until they ran out and this was particularly the case with low issue tickets which didn't sell in any quantity so didn't need to be re-ordered.  The only problem they created for Booking Clerks was that youwere supposed to draw a line through the price printed on the ticket before you issued it if the price was out of date.

The withdrawal of such tickets - apart from those affected by earlier closures - really got going towards the mid 1960s as it became uneconomic to retain printed stock for low issues and paper tickets could be used instead.  But some were still about in Booking Offices I knew of as late as 1966/67 (Windsor WR was apparently one place where many were still in stock).  But within the next couple of years the final purge got underway with all low issue, high value, printed tickets being one of the first targets (Pre 1948 or later) because they were highly susceptible to fiddling by any less scrupulous Booking Clerks.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mersey Road (on Liverpool Cen.- Manchester Cen. line) was still issuing white CLC tickets to lesser used destinations as late as 1964/5. I bought one as a souvenir for a few old pence.

Ray.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 12:43, The Stationmaster said:

It was quite common for stations to retain old stocks of  tickets until they ran out and this was particularly the case with low issue tickets which didn't sell in any quantity so didn't need to be re-ordered.  The only problem they created for Booking Clerks was that youwere supposed to draw a line through the price printed on the ticket before you issued it if the price was out of date.

The withdrawal of such tickets - apart from those affected by earlier closures - really got going towards the mid 1960s as it became uneconomic to retain printed stock for low issues and paper tickets could be used instead.  But some were still about in Booking Offices I knew of as late as 1966/67 (Windsor WR was apparently one place where many were still in stock).  But within the next couple of years the final purge got underway with all low issue, high value, printed tickets being one of the first targets (Pre 1948 or later) because they were highly susceptible to fiddling by any less scrupulous Booking Clerks.

FWIW I recently came across in K.G.Jones 'Diesels West of Paddington' (Ian Allan, 1981) on p.14 a photograph of what he describes as the parcels cubby holes at Windsor WR taken in 1977. He notes that it had gone when he revisted it in 1979.

Notable in the photo is that destinations visible in the photo include Tiddington, Shepton Mallet, Oswestry among others. All labels printed with GWR above the destination.

Edited by Morello Cherry

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Morello Cherry said:

FWIW I recently came across in K.G.Jones 'Diesels West of Paddington' (Ian Allan, 1981) on p.14 a photograph of what he describes as the parcels cubby holes at Windsor WR taken in 1977. He notes that it had gone when he revisted it in 1979.

Notable in the photo is that destinations visible in the photo include Tiddington, Shepton Mallet, Oswestry among others. All labels printed with GWR above the destination.

44 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... presumably for labels rather than passenger tickets. ( Before anyone else looks the place up - as I had to - Tiddingon is west of Thame : the station lasted from 1866 to 1963.)

The common parctice, especially for parcels label racks was to paste a label for the particular destination by each pigeon hole.  So you knew where to look for the label you needed and you knew where to put the supply of new labels when they arrived.  Inevitably - unless new destination etc labels came into use - the pigeon holes would be labelled with examples of the oldest issue of specific labels.

There used to be loads of GWR print labels around well into the 1960s even at places like Paddington where there were nests of pigeon holes with destination labels for adding to passengers' luggage by the entrance from the Departure Side cab drop-off next to Platform 1 and the main Booking Office.  Maybe odd to relate (ha ha) I do have a small(ish) collection of such things some of which are definitely Pre-Grouping in origin.  There was also, despite various reorganisations,  closures, and other changes, quite a lot of older stuff around well into the 1960s and even the early '70s, for example GWR memo pads were quite common as were other pre-printed or headed correspondence forms and letterheads.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... presumably for labels rather than passenger tickets. ( Before anyone else looks the place up - as I had to - Tiddingon is west of Thame : the station lasted from 1866 to 1963.)

I did double check that it wasn't on Sodor.

Yes, for parcels labels.

I disgress but the book is a really interesting record of the lines out of Paddington from 1968 to 1978. (Basically covers to Paddington the lines as far as Moreton in Marsh, Banbury, Swindon, Basingstoke, Guildford). From hydraulics to HSTs but he also took a lot of photos of freight and parcels workings as well along with random things at stations that caught his eye - ie the gas lighting at Hanwell.

Thinking about @scalerailmodelling's interest in 08 shunting, the photo on the previous page to the one of the Windsor parcels cubby holes is one of an 08 shunting at Slough while being passed by a 47 on a very mixed parcels train (MK1 BSO/K, SR PMV, LMS GUV).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morello Cherry said:

... mixed parcels train (MK1 BSO/K, ...

Should be easy to tell them apart unless largely obscured : BSO has one double door in the van and five passenger windows, the BSK has two double doors and four windows ....... not that it matters in context !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 00:41, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't really see the difference - I don't think the CLC had such a thing as second in 1948.  So pre-nationalisation or post, 3rd or 2nd, you'd be using up the same stock of cardboard under the Edmundson system.  You couldn't physically have reprinted everything overnight on nationalisation on on abolition of 3rd even if you could have cost-justified it.

I imagine something similar must have happened at Grouping.

Not exactly what i was saying refering 2nd class to the 1960s

i have a ticket with the wording Revised with price stamped in ink

at the bottom but with no date,  thanks for the replies.

I should mention this is a green ticket not white so i presume

this is pre BR days.

Edited by paul 27
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1