For all airbrush users & modelmakers.

I was'nt sure which forum to put this in so MODS if it is in what you feel the wrong section please could you put it in the right one biggrin.gif

For sometime now i having been weathering models & last year i took the plung in a badger airbrush. It's been the best tool i have ever bought & has stood me in good stead & helped me progress massively since i first started to weather models. The only drawback has been the cost of the cans of air & the inconsistant flow of air to the brush.

It's been on the cards for me to buy a compressor but my local modelshop quoted me around £135 for a badger compressor which is quite expensive when your on a budget. A compressor for me was the next step & after a long look around i have found a fantastic tool place for modellers & model engineers with exceptionally friendly staff & brilliant prices.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Now i bought one of their compressors / airbrush kits for £62.50 & for that you get 2 airbrushes , braided hose , small compressor with low decibles. Their are a selection of brush kits on sale & the best thing is they do a adapter for the compressor to put a badger brush onto it. I felt this shop must be shared its brilliant. I went over to the shop in Mythomroyd & it's a goldmine of tools & all cheap too.

This is the kit i have purchased & i've used it already with good results.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/info_45643.html

Hope this is of use to some of the modellers like myself on a budget.

Simon.

Simon

A few of us brought these at the start of the year, I got mine off Ebay for about the same price. They are super. I used mine on Sunday to spray a kit chassis.

There was a thread running in about March about these but its good to find a non Ebay outlet for those who do not like either Ebay or internet shopping.

Yes, I was one of those who bought one of these earlier in the year following positiv comments on RMweb, although mine is the slightly more expensive version with the reservoir tank. In my case, I got it from the same company, RDG Tools, via their eBay shop. Their service was very quick. Since then, I've acquired some basic airbrushing skills and have been very satisfied with the compressor and brushes. My first attempts at using it can be seen in the early February pages on my workshop blog (link below).

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting this info Simon on this supplier.

I've just received a spray booth from them for £55, which I think is a bargain. Those advertised in the model railway press are almost £200.

not had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks the part.

Received the goods ultra quick, within 48 hours. 100% recommended

• RMweb Premium

Good recommendation. Ordered the set yesterday and it arrived today. They advised it would arrive between 15.32 and 16.32! It arrived at 15.54. Great service. Only managed to waft around a bit of matt varnish so far but am well impressed with the gear and the supplier.

Cheers

Dave

Looks like a good deal but get one with a tank, or arrange to get a tank fitted - as already intimated it gives a smooth airflow, without the air reservoir the compressor produces pulses which can affect the quality of the spray job.

Looks like a good deal but get one with a tank, or arrange to get a tank fitted - as already intimated it gives a smooth airflow, without the air reservoir the compressor produces pulses which can affect the quality of the spray job.

As well as that, heat from the motor & diaphram in the tank-less compressor will transfer to the air supply, which will cause condensation in the hose (there can be other factors such as humidity) so if you're running one of these for more than a few minutes take the airbrush off the hose and run the compressor until it's blown the moisture out, then re-attach the airbrush. Far better than having it suddenly blow through onto the model... :blink: :angry: ;)

@ Leon

The brush is brilliant & the compressor has saved me pounds already, those cans are awful now i look back. By the time you have weathered a couple of locos & a rake of wagon's you,ll have shelled out around £100 on air. This option is without doubt miles better it's cheaper & if it last's 12 months you,ll have got your money out of it.

Simon.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, and very illuminating as I tried several airbrushes at a model show yesterday and they were a pile of money more expensive than the stuff on this company's website (I wonder if the spray tanning outfit would be any good for weathering over larger areas ;) ?).

One or two of the spray guns look exactly the same as some I looked at yesterday but come at a fraction of the price so can anyone give further comments on quality please?

I've only used canned air in the past and always found it something of a nuisance (and expensive) so it was quite a revelation to use a gun working off a compressor with a tank definitely the combination to go for I reckon.

Interesting, and very illuminating as I tried several airbrushes at a model show yesterday and they were a pile of money more expensive than the stuff on this company's website (I wonder if the spray tanning outfit would be any good for weathering over larger areas wink.gif ?).

One or two of the spray guns look exactly the same as some I looked at yesterday but come at a fraction of the price so can anyone give further comments on quality please?

I've only used canned air in the past and always found it something of a nuisance (and expensive) so it was quite a revelation to use a gun working off a compressor with a tank definitely the combination to go for I reckon.

If you look at my weathering thread you can see the results every model their was done with this airbrush. I had a badger before but this one is miles better they also sell various heads for different results too.

Simon.

• RMweb Gold

Just been to the place.

Do not go the RDG Tools premises if you have a weak heart.

When you see what is laid out in front of you as you enter, a coronary is very likely.

There is something fitted in there that sucks money out of your pocket.

Seriously though, a great shop and good knowledgable staff.

Just been to the place.

Do not go the RDG Tools premises if you have a weak heart.

When you see what is laid out in front of you as you enter, a coronary is very likely.

There is something fitted in there that sucks money out of your pocket.

Seriously though, a great shop and good knowledgable staff.

When I first read the OP I clicked straight on the link and looked at the kit on sale and the prices, not taking a blind bit of notice where RDG tools were located, nor reading the OP properly!!

Mytholmroyd, (try saying that when you're 3 sheets to the wind on a train) a short (15minute), and very pleasant if you stop at the White House for a swift one, drive over Blackstone Edge and down Cragg Vale.

Thanks a lot Enterprisingwestern for pointing out something I'd missed, you may just be costing me money rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Not gone to the website, but thought I'd repost this link:-

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2691

I think it was posted on the old forum, could be wrong though.

It's a review of a cheap airbrush/compressor kit.

The guy gives it a very good review, and I believe that all of these imports are made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

The link to the shop air-brush pro isn't working..well it is but they are closed re-opening 16th Aug...probably hoildays.

http://www.airbrush-pro.co.uk/index1.html

Just thought it may be the same type of kit bought from RDG tools.

Cheers

Ian

Archived