Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Hi Peter, sorry to hear about your wrist, just rest I guess, so that gets you out of the housework, hahah.

All the best mate.

Hi Andy

You must be joking, can still paint doors as only use my right hand for that!

The pills must be working as it is a lot easier today. Have managed to glue the cork onto the new selector plates on Bridge of Muir and also reglued the track down on the bridge.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi All

Well I am now on insulin and it is having a few side effects. mode changes etc. I think I was better off without it. Anyway Work is well on with the second selector plate for Bridge of Muir. Also traying to find a short on one of the boards. Who said DCC was simple. Had a few drips on the layout down at the unit after the rain last night, will have to paint the road down to the power station.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry to hear of your continued problems Peter, I hope you can cope with it and be fit enough for the GCR, but your Health come first as I'm sure Wendy has told you already.

See you again soon. and don't forget, REAL ROADS HAVE PUDDLES, hhahahhahah :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Well I am now on insulin and it is having a few side effects. mode changes etc. I think I was better off without it. Anyway Work is well on with the second selector plate for Bridge of Muir. Also traying to find a short on one of the boards. Who said DCC was simple. Had a few drips on the layout down at the unit after the rain last night, will have to paint the road down to the power station.

Cheers

Peter

Peter, I went to Insulin about six years ago (or so) as my GP (who is a diabetes expert) said that my pancreas was slowing down so much that it was not producing enough insulin to even be stimulated and augmented by the usual tablets.   It did take a while to settle down, but once the dose and regime were established, I quickly "came right".  Since then I have had to increase the dose slightly.  Also, there are a number of different insulins available, and their side effects to vary a bit, as do the "kick in" times.  I was lucky, and was able to adapt to the first combination used, but a friend who is also on insulin had to chop and change a bit before getting the right combination of slow and fast. 

Keep on with this, and I'm sure that you will get there and once you do, I'm also sure that you'll feel much better.  Your GP and your DSN should be your allies here, and should be able to guide you through the process - yes it is a shock, and adapting is difficult, but you should have no problem with your normal activities like showing off those excellent layouts of yours.

If you need any support or help, and you think I might be able to assist, please PM me, and I'll give you the benefit of my own experience - BTW have you been taken off the tablets competely, or are you staying on some to help with your insulin uptake?

Supportive regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Thank you for that. Iam still on my full tabets at present. My problem is similar to you in that my pancreas has stop producing the insulin so my levels have gone up into the 20's. Have only been on it 14 days so it is early yet.  so I will just have to wait and see.

Cheers Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hang on in there, Peter, it DOES get better - been there, done that, got the pens to prove it.  Can I just ask are you on Novo Nordisc and Novo Rapid, or Lantus and Apidra - which are the two most commonly prescribed combinations nowadays.  If you are using Apidra, just watch the "kick in" times, as it's a very fast acting insulin.

If we do ever manage to meet up at an exhibition, we can spend some time between trains having a good old diabetic moan...

Hang on in there, Peter, it DOES get better - been there, done that, got the pens to prove it.  Can I just ask are you on Novo Nordisc and Novo Rapid, or Lantus and Apidra - which are the two most commonly prescribed combinations nowadays.  If you are using Apidra, just watch the "kick in" times, as it's a very fast acting insulin.

If we do ever manage to meet up at an exhibition, we can spend some time between trains having a good old diabetic moan...

Hi 45156

I am on Lantus at present by it's self I think with a dose of 16 units just after tea.

Will you be going to the Great Central show in 14 days time , Will be there with Bridge of Muir. Always looking for help in running the layout due to two of the operators passing away in the last 12 months.

Peter

Hi All

Just a short one to say that the new selector plates have been completed on Bridge of more and the fitting of the ajustable feet is nearly competed/ Still to find the short/dead section at the station end should have this completed by weekend.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi 45156

I am on Lantus at present by it's self I think with a dose of 16 units just after tea.

Will you be going to the Great Central show in 14 days time , Will be there with Bridge of Muir. Always looking for help in running the layout due to two of the operators passing away in the last 12 months.

Peter

That's not too bad, TBH, Lantus is a very long acting insulin, and that is quite a small basal dose so it looks as if you are still making some insulin.  You'll probably find that you'll be monitored quite closely for a while and you might need to alter the dose as tome goes on.  Hopefully the tablets and the diet will make the bolus doses un-necessary.

As to the GC Show, I'm elsewhere that weekend (not, regrettably, railway related) so won't be able to take up your offer of a session, but I'm honoured to have been invited - my Scots background would have added a little local colour to proceedings.

Regards

Stewart

That's not too bad, TBH, Lantus is a very long acting insulin, and that is quite a small basal dose so it looks as if you are still making some insulin.  You'll probably find that you'll be monitored quite closely for a while and you might need to alter the dose as tome goes on.  Hopefully the tablets and the diet will make the bolus doses un-necessary.

As to the GC Show, I'm elsewhere that weekend (not, regrettably, railway related) so won't be able to take up your offer of a session, but I'm honoured to have been invited - my Scots background would have added a little local colour to proceedings.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Thanks for your comments, still feel awful with it, reported it to the nurse but she said you shouldn't get any side effects basically. At present my readings are still around what they were before I started it.

Anyway enough of that!

Even though I was born and bred in England I feel very close to Scotland and enjoy it immensly. On my mothers side my gran and all her relations were all Scottish. 2 of my great uncles served in the Black Watch and it was pure fluke that my mother was born in England instead of Scotland. Spent early my early life and teens holidaying all the time in Scotland up to 6 - 8 weeks at a time in and around Kirkcudbright. Once I cross the border into Scotland I always feel at home. Will have to try and meet up at a show or if you are in this area call in and see me.

My next shows are Colwyn Bay with Watermill Halt in July and then with Bridge of Muir at the Hornby Great Electric railway show and then Hartlepool.

All the best

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stewart

Thanks for your comments, still feel awful with it, reported it to the nurse but she said you shouldn't get any side effects basically. At present my readings are still around what they were before I started it.

Anyway enough of that!

My next shows are Colwyn Bay with Watermill Halt in July and then with Bridge of Muir at the Hornby Great Electric railway show and then Hartlepool.

All the best

Peter

Hi Peter,

Oddly enough, the day I started on Lantus I was the same, and got quite light headed, and distant, also pretty tired.  So much so that I had to have a couple ot days off work, and I reported this to Sanofi when they called to ask how I was taking to the new regime, and they said much the same - then they reported it to my GP and I had a call from him and a session with the DSN, who again said there should be no noticeable side effects.  But I did, and they went, so keep on in there.

As to shows, possibly Hartlepool, but very much dependant on how my retirement is progressing.

All the best

Stewart

Hi All

Well been down at the unit doing a few small jobs on BoM and found the short on the end of the station Just a wire and a dry joint touching onto another section of the copper clad. All working OK now. What is a problem is that the road/track bed has lifted up by about 30-35mm from the cross girders with the sunlight shinning on it. We have now moved the bridge board into the shade and it is returning back to normal. I hope. Just have to fit a few new adjustable feet to the last two boards and then it is all ready for loading next week for the show.

Now to finish off the stock.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 5

Hi All

Well the layout is all packed up and ready to load up tomorrow into the van for the trip to the Great Central show on thursday. Looking forward to it, last year apart from the hotel it was a great show with much effort put into it by the lads.

If there is any body out there who would like to have a go at operating we are short of one on theFriday,  but any time will do if you are free you will be most welcome to have a go.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 4

A big thank you to Peter for once again inviting to be a part of the operating team. I thoroughly enjoyed my day with great company. The layout looks spectacular. Having never used DCC before I was a little worried at first but it was very easy to get the hang of. I sneaked control of the goods yard for a while and enjoyed a bit of shunting with the class 20. Yes the gremlins crept in at times and the heat did cause one or two problems but all in all a fun day.

I may be more of a steam man, but I will have my eye out for a Heljan diesel now after Peter's proved so reliable all day.

Thanks again Peter for an enjoyable day.

• Like 3

Hi All.

Well before I go into the woes of the layout I first of all must say a big thank you to Barry, Paul, Mike and all the others who helped to put on a GREAT SHOW at the Great Central show It was Fab. Hotel was Fab, Food was Fab and the company was fab. Dont know about the beer not really a beer drinker. Also must thank Andy for his help on Sat. & Sun.. Anyway back to the layout. It was rubbish. No thats not really true. The problem was that on driving down on the thursday it got rather cooked in the rear of the van. The bridge deck again buckled with the heat as did a few of the joints and this caused some of the many problems over the weekend. The other problem was the floor which at one end had 8 inches of packing uder the feet to make it level but also when the public walked along it caused it to bounce with the result that stock was coming off the lines.

Anyway have arrived back home rather tired  now so here are a few shots. Will give a futher report in a while when I have sorted out my blood sugars.

post-6915-0-18419800-1434995838.jpg

post-6915-0-38024000-1434995842.jpg

post-6915-0-95684000-1434995833.jpg

post-6915-0-57134100-1434995846.jpg

Edited by trains12
  • Like 4

Hi All

Well I have been looking at the layout today and the report is as follows.

Both the joints going into the fiddle yards at each end have distorted and will need to be relined.

Joint above the hydro power station, one side of the rail has expanded and pushed the track out of gauge so will need to be reset.

The bridge deck which has lifted has also pushed the length of track coming off the viaduct has expanded coming into the first point at the station end and has pushed the left rail up off the copper clad so it will have to be lifted and relaid.

I think with hindsight that some of the problems are down to me not allowing enough expansion in the joints so when this warm weather has come the rail has to go some place and so it has to give some where.

On the point operation we need to have a better method of showing which direction the points are set. If the road is not correct and you send a train towards the point as soon as it has passed the gap in the rails it will short out the DCC supply to the point motors and everthing stops. Will need to do some more reading up on this. It will come and all be corrected before the next show The Hornby one in October then Hartlepool.

In the mean time  if there is anybody around here in North Wales that would like to come and help with this it would be most welcome.

In the mean time a few more shots of the layout taken at the show.

post-6915-0-73211400-1435072169.jpg

post-6915-0-94214000-1435072173.jpg

post-6915-0-93544100-1435072181.jpg

post-6915-0-66029100-1435072193.jpg

post-6915-0-85334200-1435072198.jpg

post-6915-0-57352100-1435072555.jpg

post-6915-0-77765600-1435072559.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12

Hi Peter, Re the Point / Route setting, on my Trebudoc, I had a small control panel with LED's wired to the Frog, that showed the route direction on the panel and was simplicity itself to wire in once you have the correct LED's, but don't ask me which ones, mine was just trial and error with some that were in the draw.

post-9335-0-45827000-1435073374_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-39012600-1435073397_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84661600-1435073408_thumb.jpg

I'm up at Bala from Saturday for a few days and I'll try and bribe the good Lady for a pass out one day. I'm sure with a few hours we can sort out at least some of the issues you have. Rail gapping is a big issue, and more so with the rails fixed to the plastic bridge as both will expand differently, I'm not sure how that can be over come, short of relaying the Bridge deck in Brass for rigidity.

I will give you a ring once I know if I can get up for a day, I know I will enjoy it.

All the best.

• Like 2