Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that this excellent layout is giving problems, and I sincerely hope that you are able to resolve these.  It does appear that the heat has caused issues which would give the real railway problems as well.

Hi All

Well have been down to the unit to-day and the temp. inside is still warm and the bridge decking has come up again but only by about half an inch. Will start work on this in the next few days. In the mean time have sorted out the stock and put it all away. One small item that was damaged was the Class 08 which ran away when the hand sets reset them selves. It got jamed in one of the points and has totally smashed up the con rods in fact on onside it has snapped them in half so will have to try and obtain a new set. Any ideas where to obtain a spare set? Will take a shot today and post the damage.

Peter

Hi All

Well have been down to the unit to-day and the temp. inside is still warm and the bridge decking has come up again but only by about half an inch. Will start work on this in the next few days. In the mean time have sorted out the stock and put it all away. One small item that was damaged was the Class 08 which ran away when the hand sets reset them selves. It got jamed in one of the points and has totally smashed up the con rods in fact on onside it has snapped them in half so will have to try and obtain a new set. Any ideas where to obtain a spare set? Will take a shot today and post the damage.

Peter

Bachmann and Hornby are both pretty good at spares direct I think you'll find Peter.

Hi All

Have been checking out the 08 to find why it jamed in the points. It appreas that the problem is the Kadee couplings are sitting to low, and are fouling on the frogs and the rail at the points, even through they have been set to the kadee setting gauge. All the stock will have to be rechecked again.

On another tact, has anybody taken the body off a Hornby pullman Observation car.I have obtained one and want to strip it down to repaint in maroon like what was used on the West Highland line, but at present cannot get the body off.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12

Hi All

Andy P called in yesterday to see me and we spent a nice day discussing railways and also made a start on Bridge of Muir control panel for the fitting of LED's to show the direction that the points are set in.

Hopefully this will be completed in the next few days and will help to stop taking an engine out of the station with the point set against it and causing a complete short on the system.

Will take some shots of the work in hand and post them.

Many thanks Andy for coming, really enjoyed it it gets very lonely up here in the sticks.

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you're making progress there, Peter, and I'll be interested to see how you tackle the problem of heat expansion on the bridge board.

Hi Stewart

Thanks for the comments and also your pm. At present the installation of the LED's has stalled. Andy P and myself built a mock up of what we wanted and this worked perfectly using bi coloured LED's - red & green - so that the direction you were going in from the point was green and the other direction was red. When the point was changed the colours reversed. Have wired all this into the control panel now but for some reason when one of the push buttons is pressed we are getting a red and a green coming up on the 2 LED's. But when we press the other button to change direction we get nothing. Stripped it down again and each individual LED works but join them all back up, press one button, point changes you get green for the direction you want to go and red  on the other direction. Press the other button to change the point and nothing happens on the LED's. Spent all day Friday and part of this morning but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is it because I am using 2 push buttons? Should I go to on- centre off- on with a spring switch to return to the centre off position?

Hope someone can advise ar call

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that you and Andy will get there - I am no electrics expert, and DCC and its foibles are a bit like a foreign country, so I really don't know the answers, but I'm pretty sure that somebody out there will know what the solution might be.

I do hope that you get everything sorted out before your next show.

Stewart

Hi All

Well the LEDS have gone on a back burner for a few weeks while work is done on Watermill Halt to make ready for the Colwyn Bay Show in two weeks time.

The other item being done is the new coupling rods have arrived for the Class 06 from Peter's Spares, as always excellent service from them. Have had to order a nut spinner now due to the fact that I can't hold the dam small nuts. Old age comming on now. This should be up and running in the next few days.

Also some work has been done on the research vessel with the fitting of the internal LED It is now at the stage ready for painting but true to form the weather has changed and the powers that be has said I cannot spray inside and its to cold to do it in the barn so it will have to wait till the sun comes out again

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear of the problems with the heat, and the 08 self destructing!! I found that on some stock, the heght for the trip pin needed to be a bit higher than the gauge suggested. I actually removed the NEM pocket on my Bachmann 08, filed the area down a bit more (to lift the coupling gearbox up a bit), and fitted a Kadee 148 (Same as a No5, but with whisker springs and a snap together gearbox!!!).

I keep saying that I'll get over, but both work, and a change of direction in modelling, has enveloped my time. But I promise I will attend soon, as I want to see what you've got, literature wise, on Talyllyn Junction!

All the best

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear of the problems with the heat, and the 08 self destructing!! I found that on some stock, the heght for the trip pin needed to be a bit higher than the gauge suggested. I actually removed the NEM pocket on my Bachmann 08, filed the area down a bit more (to lift the coupling gearbox up a bit), and fitted a Kadee 148 (Same as a No5, but with whisker springs and a snap together gearbox!!!).

I keep saying that I'll get over, but both work, and a change of direction in modelling, has enveloped my time. But I promise I will attend soon, as I want to see what you've got, literature wise, on Talyllyn Junction!

All the best

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty

Thanks for the comments. Have just finished puting on new con rods on the 08 today and have just tested it . OK.  Still have not sorted out the LED's yet but they are waiting till after the colwyn Bay show in two weeks time with Watermill Halt.

I will have a look in the Study Centre to see if I have anything on Talyllyn Junction and let you know. I am thinking of have a operating day down at the unit after the show which will be open to everybody to come and as Wendy say's "play trains". It will be over a weekend. Will let you all know when. Might even put up the '0' gauge outside.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Jinty

Thanks for the comments. Have just finished puting on new con rods on the 08 today and have just tested it . OK.  Still have not sorted out the LED's yet but they are waiting till after the colwyn Bay show in two weeks time with Watermill Halt.

I will have a look in the Study Centre to see if I have anything on Talyllyn Junction and let you know. I am thinking of have a operating day down at the unit after the show which will be open to everybody to come and as Wendy say's "play trains". It will be over a weekend. Will let you all know when. Might even put up the '0' gauge outside.

Cheers

Peter

Nothing quite like a good excuse to Play Trains Peter. I hope you get the LED's sorted soon.

Wish I was near enough to come over more often.