MBA and MOA

beast66606

Got my monster box of Bachmann Monsterboxes today B)

Look good, finish and general level of detail as expected from Bachmann. Both versions come fitted with the Bachmann autocoupler, a pair of standard couplings with nem pockets are included. As with the HTAs autos are body mounted and standards go on the bogie.

Modelled in early condition with ladders. The buffer fitted version doesn't have the autocoupler release bar or include a 'swung' auto(raid the 66 spares!). The bufferless has completely plain 'bufferbeams' and should have what I think are the mounting plates for buffers http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/p7017064.html. It also comes fitted with drawhooks :wacko: Neither version has brakepipes or holes to fit them.

Ladder mods seemed to take place early to mid 2000s, end ones simply had the rungs removed leaving the uprights but on the sides after rung removal most if not all have had the uprights taken off too. I think the ladders on the model are glued on so less easy to remove the side ladders should you wish to do so and maintain a pristine finish but these wagons are generally filthy anyway!

All in all a very nice model and well worth the wait.

Pack of 8 just arrived for me this morning, they are truely superb! Well worth the money, and you get a hell of a lot of wagon for the price.

I just noticed the handbrake gaff, perhaps a solution could be to chop them off and glue back on the opposite side, then it is pointing at off.

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for mine - they are on their way B)

The "problem" with the brakes is a catch 22 - if they are modelled "on" then it's wrong when the vehicle is moving, if it's modelled "off" then it's wrong when in sidings - take your pick.

[Edit - they've arrived B) ]

Still waiting for mine - they are on their way cool.gif

The "problem" with the brakes is a catch 22 - if they are modelled "on" then it's wrong when the vehicle is moving, if it's modelled "off" then it's wrong when in sidings - take your pick.

[Edit - they've arrived cool.gif ]

Anyone done side by side photos with Dapol ones?

and opinions / views!

Got 5 on saturday, very nice indeed and alot better than the Dapol ones and slightly cheaper too. Saw a Monster box today at Peak Forest sidings with a Wrekin sticker underneath the EWS in the middle. 500129 was the number without buffers. I did notice that on the un buffered MBA wagon (Model one) that there is no representation for the place where the buffer should be fitted, also no air pipe included.

My MOAs turned up this morning, and very nice they are too:

gallery_7119_977_88038.jpg

I wasn't going to get any, but Whitemoor does see some EWS workings, and anyway you can't live in New Zealand and not buy a wagon coded MOA - it'd be like modern English layouts with no TEAs :)

They're really long though - I can get a decent-ooking train of seacows or limpets in my loop, but not many MOAs. I have seen some pictures of short trains though, so that'll have to be my excuse.

gallery_7119_994_12824.jpg

Looking forward to applying some dirt in due course.

Will

On several occasions I have seen shorter rakes of 3 or 4 JNAs on the Westbury/Hinksey/Hoo Jnc to Eastleigh departmentals, a couple of times it was just loco and one wagon! So there is a prototype out there for running short rakes of this type of wagon, but got to admit they do look good in a long rake.

(Unfortunately, I have never seen a single MBA or even a small rake, so that was my reason for buying 8!)

Archived