Windhoff MPV pre-production shots

Andy Y

Got to say..... It's up there in the top ten for the easiest fitting of a DCC chip...

Remove cardboard sleeve.

Remove motor unit from outer plastic sleeve - leaving the unit in the cradle.

Lift up water tank module and hey presto ! Access to the 21 pin connector...if only they were all like this....4Cep....class 70... Take note !

Haven't run yet though as I don't have any DCC set-up at home....

Regards

Nick

That is progress indeed, and very welcome. After the simplification of sockets in steam loco tenders, patiently releasing and replacing the class 105 DMU body without damage to perform a decoder install felt like an unwelcome return to the past. Near six inches of underside to select a location for a 21 pin socket under a screw secured cover...

• RMweb Premium

An update on my DCC troubles...

Received replacement item, again lovely on DC, no life on DCC. Tried more chips in case the others had been fried. Still nothing. Thought I'd triple check the test track by placing another locomotive on the track (which had same DCC address of 3), and suddenly the MPV springs into life!! Removed locomotive and MPV goes dead again.

Gave Bachmann a call and the guy who answered in the service department I think said they have had similar trouble with the 2EPB as well, which it and the MPV have a new PCB. I was the first to let them know about the MPV having the same trouble. Most interestingly, he said that it appears to just be if you are using a Hornby controller (I'm using an Elite). He suggested trying it on a Dynamis as so far their tests do not show any problem when using the Dynamis. This I will do over the weekend.

He did go on to say that they are investigating the fault, to try and work out what is causing the problem between the three things interacting (controller, chip and pcb).

So if anyone is having trouble with DCC hopefully this is helpful information. Obviously not an ideal situation, but (subject to testing with a Dynamis at the weekend so I can at least use the lovely model elsewhere) I'm happy to be patient and allow Bachmann to work out what is wrong and hopefully them finding a solution - at least I no longer think I'm just very unlucky with getting a faulty model twice!

NaN

Hello again

Sorry to hear of your DCC troubles.

Almost a week after getting mine I've finally got it on the programming track today...

Initially my heart sank - no movement no CV read in.

It's usually pretty instant with my ECoS and if it takes anymore than that.... I know I've got a problem.

Anyway... Nothing happened.

Pressed X tried again - instantly reads "3". Then I alter to the required number. Read - whahey ! Works !

Bit noisy running... But at I'm not going to moan - what a superb model that none of us thought would ever get made (even when it was announced in the catalogue!)

Regards

Nick

Mine arrived in the post yesterday. Test ran it on DC with no problems and then popped in a chip from another loco as I didn't have a spare decoder. No problems running it with my Dynamis so now just need to order it its own decoder and all should be well.

Well worth the wait and the price in my book - a great model!

hi guys,fitted a lenz silver into mine and it ran faultlessly all weekend at the blackburn show,stunning model and cant wait for my railtrack version! cheers,bob

I hope Big Bob had his MPV suitably weathered before its Lancastrian debut? If it looks good out of the box it looks stunning weathered!

• RMweb Gold

Are the two NR ones actually different numbers then as their code numbers for dc and dcc versions suggest?

31-575 appears to be 98906 and 31-576DC appears to be 98902 in their magazine adverts. Nothing on the Bachmann site about it.

• RMweb Premium

The back of the new Hornby magazine that just dropped through my letterbox has an advert for all three.

Numbers are:

31-575 Network Rail 98906(bit blurred but looks like a six!)

31-576DC N. Rail 98902

31-577 Railtrack 98910

NaN

• RMweb Gold

Thought a few pics of the real ones in sandite mode on Wessex might be of interest.

This one shows the slightly differerent tanks on this batch with full cage handrails rather than just waist height. The side panel on the tank is also chrome rather than grey so maybe another mod with some metallic paints?

post-6968-0-78479800-1315675839.jpg

post-6968-0-51402700-1315675812.jpg

post-6968-0-26192000-1315675823.jpg

post-6968-0-77911600-1315675830.jpg

post-6968-0-10257800-1315675847.jpg

post-6968-0-98373600-1315675854.jpg

and finally an empty one

post-6968-0-86065400-1315675862.jpg

Mine arrived on the 15th - and now Network Rail has taken complete possession of the layout...

First impressions say its a really splendid, a terrific model and well worth it for all the fine engineering Bachmann have put into it.

It runs smoothly on DC - (I am not set up for DCC)

I had some trouble running it backwards over some points but realized that the trouble was caused by not fully connecting the connector.

The clip needs to be fully home to give the needed clearance.

I was also very impressed with the fact that they have included a spare set of wheels with traction tyres just in case my layout has some steep inclines.

(It was built to be level but when finish it inexplicably was not :scratchhead: )

(Hornby could well learn from this and stop fitting traction tyres as standard and like Bachmann give us a choice...)

What would have been useful would have been some info on exactly what the machine is set up to do -

Does anyone know what mode the model is in? (I live in Canada and have yet to see one live in action...)

There is an opportunity here for Bachmann to provide alternative gear to place on the machine...

• RMweb Gold

They are in water jet setup, my photos in the posts above are all in jetting mode. I haven't any pictures of them in de-icer setup but the weedspray version has a significantly different module with a operator workstation actually in the module from seeing one briefly a few months ago. Lets hope they sell well and Bachmann brings out more modules for next year.

They are in water jet setup, my photos in the posts above are all in jetting mode. I haven't any pictures of them in de-icer setup but the weedspray version has a significantly different module with a operator workstation actually in the module from seeing one briefly a few months ago. Lets hope they sell well and Bachmann brings out more modules for next year.

Paul -Thanks for that - I too hope that they do and that Bachmann does! - It'll make for better modelling interest

Ran my DCC onboard MPV in on Friday night, no problems, runs really well.

Transferred to DCC last night, nothing, completely dead.

I will try and reset the defaults tonight using my Dynamis set.

Have just written to Bachmann who sent this reply, which is pretty much as NaN has reported:-

There should not be a problem with either of the Bachmann DCC controllers and have confirmed with an E-Z Command today, however we have our engineers investigating why the unit will not work wth Hornby DCC systems Regards, Service Team Bachmann Europe plc

Collected mine on Friday, simple job adding a chip, an old Lenz Silver 21. No problems with mine at all. Runs very well, although it's a lttle tricky to join the master to the slave, ensuring the clip underneath the coupler is fully home. If this doesn't win model of the year for 2011, then it's a fix!

An update, manageds to reset the defaults on the decoder and it runs perfectly on the Dynamis set.

However it is still completely dead on my layout which uses the EZ command controller.

Have informed Bachmann and waiting for advice.

I also have to say it looks superb, pity the decoders aren't as simple tpo fit on all loco's maybe in the underbody somewhere..

Anybody had any success using an EZ Command, I wondered whether I should try a TCS or Lenz decoder in it ?

It's just strange it runs ok using the Dynamis, just don't want to throw more money away.

It's a great model and I don't particularly want to send it back, but it looks as though I may have no choice.

Archived