Windhoff MPV pre-production shots

Andy Y

Hi all,

Me personally would be hoping to recreate this one :

post-7088-128024647386_thumb.jpg

post-7088-128024669217_thumb.jpg

I learnt these units a few years ago and this is one I took whilst recessed at Ramsgate before returning to HG...........I even remember going out to Asda's specially to buy the L-Plates !!!

The funniest thing was when a manager colleague saw and heard us tearing back through Ashford International at 'Warp Factor 8', only to text and say 'Mmmm, excessive use of the horn but the L-plates are a nice touch' !!!

Come on Bachmann..........seems like your doing a good job, again !

Dave

Now that looks very impressive! Particularly interested in that coupling between the two units - very unusual!

David

Hi All... here is the real thing, I think the model looks a bit strange due to the angle of the image.

post-619-128025715771_thumb.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think that this model is a real masterstroke by Bachmann. It would fit on virtually all modern image layouts, either as a runner or stabled in a yard.

The suggested price seems very reasonable too. Any micro layout can accommodate one, and they've trundled far and wide across the rail network. I wish it well

Not had a lot of luck finding photos so far,

If anyone has any photos of these units from their first few months of operation i'd be interested in seeing some.

Ooh, think you'll struggle. Personal observations at the time was that cameras were put away when one if these trundled into view, a bit like when a diesel rolled up in steam days, so I'm led to believe.

That control desk looks like an old 1970s BBC mixing desk I once used, very retro wooden surround!

Get Outta Here !!!

That control desk is high tech to any of us that drive Class 66's ! tongue.gif

The on board computer is brilliant on these units.........it's like a jekyl & hyde personality in computer form......they can just dump the brake on you for no reason and then get you a nice early day when they are limped back to the depot and the circuit cancelled ! Can we model this in DCC ?

The on board 'CANOpenBus' feature is a science in itself........there are pages of stuff about it on the internet but basically it's an on board computer plug n play network, where you have a computer and it detects/communicates with any modules that you plug in.........

Anyways.........a most enjoyable but VERY bumpy ride on Kent area metals at line speed !!!!! ohmy.gif

Dave

The concept of the real ones is the modules come off, so it's a leaf jetter in the autumn, it's a de-icer in the winter, it's a weed sprayer in the spring and so on...

Not sure how different the modules are between versions though.

This is what they look like nekkid... wink.gif

Not forgetting the lightweight freight multiple unit concept carrying logs from Aberystwyth - the trial of which had a class 37/4 banker up Talerddig on the first trip !!

I'm not too impressed with the prototypes of these things myself especially as they are not too partial to the Lickey incline except on a good day. The fitters are not impressed either, because they have to remove a module to get to the deck to dip the oil in the Volvo lorry engines.

The models look great though - ideal for contemporary modellers.

y9cdsd.jpg

This is a model I have been wanting since it was first announced and it certainly looks like Bachmann have really set the standard higher with this new model. The modules are a nice feature and look really good and the actual details on the unit capture the real thing well. I have planned to get one to stable in the siding at the front of my layout with a few runs out of course. They certainly aren't the best looking machines to run on the railway but they are certainly interesting and with a nice coat of grime will look the part. The prototype pictures added are also very nice to see, now that smiley face would be fun!

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mmm yeah, that smiley face is the main reason I want them to do it in N! laugh.gif

I notice on the Bachmann site they mention winter and autumn configurations - is this RHTT and de-icing do ya reckon?

Interesting attention to detail if so!

cheers

jo

There's variations of RHTT also. They don't always carry two water tanks.

The photos I have are:

Cab/Sandite/Water tank/jetting module - APU/blank/Sandite/Cab

This is the formation of my *nearly* finished SJR kit.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

On Wessex the MPVs took over RHTT duties in 2002 or 3 as I remember and whichever it was the second tank was trialled at the end of the 2003 season when I was seconded to leaf fall control for 3 months. They asked why they kept running out of water and after getting the pump details and tank capacity 2 minutes with a calculator told us that the circuits were too long for the water on board. I seem to remember we worked it out as 75 miles range at 40mph per tank. Additional tanks were ordered and were standard from 2004 on Wessex. The crews told me there are two versions of MPV one has more both bogies powered on each unit the other only one. Very versatile machine and they were crewed mostly by on track machine drivers for the first few years and many transferred to DBS when they won the contract last year.

The water jet has an auto cutoff to stop it when the unit stops or it damages the railhead.

Driver sits on the left as standard an an operator controlling the modules sits on the right so remember to put two crew in the cabs of your models.

Shame the idea didn't take off further with all sorts of modules as they are bigger and faster than the TRAMMs that work in many possessions.

On Wessex the MPVs took over RHTT duties in 2002 or 3 as I remember and whichever it was the second tank was trialled at the end of the 2003 season when I was seconded to leaf fall control for 3 months. They asked why they kept running out of water and after getting the pump details and tank capacity 2 minutes with a calculator told us that the circuits were too long for the water on board. I seem to remember we worked it out as 75 miles range at 40mph per tank. Additional tanks were ordered and were standard from 2004 on Wessex. The crews told me there are two versions of MPV one has more both bogies powered on each unit the other only one. Very versatile machine and they were crewed mostly by on track machine drivers for the first few years and many transferred to DBS when they won the contract last year.

The water jet has an auto cutoff to stop it when the unit stops or it damages the railhead.

Driver sits on the left as standard an an operator controlling the modules sits on the right so remember to put two crew in the cabs of your models.

Shame the idea didn't take off further with all sorts of modules as they are bigger and faster than the TRAMMs that work in many possessions.

Thats right Paul. The Bescot allocated ones were (and probably still are) "power trailer" sets which is why they sometimes get stuck on the Lickey !!!

I don't normally get that excited about new releases apart from this and the SDJR 7f, other aspects of railway modelling normally float my boat more - however I can see one of these being urgently required on Cement Quay (on hire to the cement company I guess?) with the dreadfully weed wridden track. Opertaionally these units will add a new dimension to many layouts, with it trundling around every siding and bit of unoccupied track making a nice contrast to other moves. Weathering will be a fun aspect too - it will be difficult to over do it!

Whilst being in a lucky position to actually handle the pre-production unit it struck me just how good the crispness of fidelity of the mouldings are. I'd love to post my pics to accompany Andy's, but they're for the printed page just over 2 weeks away.

The crews told me there are two versions of MPV one has more both bogies powered on each unit the other only one.

Found this which gives a bit of techie background to which are "power twin" ones, and also what modules are available: http://www.ontrackplant.com/technical/mpv

Photo's tagged MPV on the same site - note that not all photo's with that tag are actually of Windhoff ones (there's lots of older vehicles and the Geismarr built four wheelers) but there's some interesting ones on there that are similar to the Network Rail ones:

http://www.ontrackplant.com/photos/tags/mpv

Check out the two CTRL sets in the 97xxx series, or what looks to be the only "bubble car" version DR98008 which is the first one i've seen repainted in NR yellow (it seems to have been one of the white OLE units before that)

• RMweb Gold

with the dreadfully weed ridden track. Opertaionally these units will add a new dimension to many layouts, with it trundling around every siding and bit of unoccupied track making a nice contrast to other moves. Weathering will be a fun aspect too - it will be difficult to over do it!

Yes the weed killer version is good for this but don't run the RHTT version or it will blast all your lovely dirt out from around your track. laugh.gif When they insisted on constant jetting last year even across sharp curves in the sidings the jets missed the railhead and dug big holes either side of the sidings rails. They only go in the sidings for breaks. Lets just say they thought modern sidings are ballasted to mainline standards!

Let it be done in N! These are just about the only thing that run regularly (albeit seasonally) on the Merseyrail electric system, apart from the 507/508s. I'd really like an MPV to break up the procession of EMUs on my planned bit of the Northern Line.

Jim

Now that looks very impressive! Particularly interested in that coupling between the two units - very unusual!

David

I noticed that too David & i must admit they do look really good. i've been waiting for this model for a long time now i almost bought the resin kit that was available from a supplier i cant remember who though.

Simon.

• RMweb Gold

I noticed that too David & i must admit they do look really good. i've been waiting for this model for a long time now i almost bought the resin kit that was available from a supplier i cant remember who though.

Simon.

i think its S+R models, i nearly bought one too a while back but just ended up getting the rhtt control module from them for my drs rhtt train in the end

Found this which gives a bit of techie background to which are "power twin" ones, and also what modules are available: http://www.ontrackpl...m/technical/mpv

Thanks for that Martyn! What I hadn't really seen until I looked at the prototype pictures was the wide variety of modules. So there's huge scope for aftermarket bits, scratchbuilds and other fun modelling work to recreate particular MPV setups, with difficulty ranging from easy (weather the Bachmann model) to hard (install an underfloor drive for a module-less version). Excellent stuff :)

I wonder if they turn up at Whitemoor...?

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Archived