Windhoff MPV pre-production shots

Andy Y

Just noticed this picture has cropped up on Bachmann's coming soon list - pretty sure it was the unpainted version a few days ago:

http://www.Bachmann....=650&height=176

Looks very nice from what I can see. I note the ghastly typeface used for the slogan is captured accurately :)

Edit: bigger and better pictures on Model Rail's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150208980123207.317614.176420418206

Will

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen the Windhoff in the London Ian Allan shop. Not my era, and I can't speak for its accuracy, but I haven't been so blown away by a new model for ages. Absolutely stunning.

Looks very nice but it's quite a price for what's a bit of a novelty item

Hardly. They go everywhere. Seen parked all over the place, what is the cost of a loco and a through wired coach with all the DCC gubbins? I reckon that yet again we in the UK are getting a bargain. If it was Marklin or Fleischmann or Roco etc it would be £200+

Looks very nice but it's quite a price for what's a bit of a novelty item

Model Rail were saying that as well but there was probably quite a lot of R&D costs associated with this one as the drive system is new for Britain and its quite a radical prototype anyway.

I've had them going past my flat a few times now so its an ideal short train for the modern layout.

• RMweb Premium

Received mine this morning. Runs well on DC but I cannot get it to work on DCC. Tried two different chips but no joy. Has anyone had any DCC success? If so, would you mind posting pictures of either side of circuit board please? I'm guessing there's a wire soldered wrong somewhere...

Mine arrived this morning, ive spent over an hour just grinning at it! Outstanding Bachmann! The detailing is beyond what you could imagine from reviews. I keep on thinking i have an actual MPV parked up on my desk infront of me. Dead chuffed and just wanted to share my joy! I had mine Pre-Ordered with Hattons for £88, an utter bargin. Even now at £108 it is still worth every penny!

Just as a heads up for anyone who doesnt know. You can buy additional "modules" for weed-killing and mess rooms from http://www.sjrmodels.com/Products.htm for £15 plus postage. :)

Whos going to be first with a photo on their layout then?? I'm sure I pre ordered one but cant remember. I'm hoping there will be a parcel waiting for me when I get home but I doubt it..

Cheers

Scott

(just checked my box shifter accounts, looks like I didnt order one :-(

Received mine this morning. Runs well on DC but I cannot get it to work on DCC. Tried two different chips but no joy. Has anyone had any DCC success? If so, would you mind posting pictures of either side of circuit board please? I'm guessing there's a wire soldered wrong somewhere...

When one of the magazines tested their sample they had the same problem. Might be worth sending it back and getting a new one?

Great Western,

• RMweb Premium

When one of the magazines tested their sample they had the same problem. Might be worth sending it back and getting a new one?

Great Western,

Which was Hornby Magazine, testing the DCC fitted version. My suspicion is it's a common fault with the wiring or circuit board, so I do not want to go through hassle of returning when it may be a fault on all models (and if so Bachmann will become aware in due course, if not already, hopefully issuing a note on how to fix it or recommending to return it).

So please, if anyone does get it working on DCC let us know so we can see if it is a generic fault or random (and I'm unlucky like Hornby magazine).

Cheers

NaN

Got one today fitted Bachmann 21 pin decoder, set new address no issues, coupled to unpowered unit, short circuits and error 01 displayed. Problem was cause by a wheelset which had become displaced during transport, which in turn had slightly bent one of the wiper contacts so it was making contact with the centre part of the axles and causing a short. Wiper contacts carefully bent back to correct profile and wheelset replaced, now runs on DCC with no problem.

Anyother point to note with this model is that there are locating lugs which hold the coupling between the powered and unpowered unit at the correct height, if as with my model these are not engaged then the bottom of the coupling fouls anything which stands proud of sleepers (such as points) and causes derailments.

Archived