HELP: Colour Light Signaling new layout

Howaya.

I'm looking for help with the colour light signalling for my new layout and I haven't got a clue what goes where, except for lights at the ends of the platforms.

The layout is BR post privatisation, around 1990. The station is kinda a mainline end station with suburban and freight pass through (into the back scene) and a MPD on the left. I will in the future be adding the platforms etc. to the right of the layout and hopefully continue further and further. I have no problems with wiring but when it comes to positioning and type of lights (feathered, ground, etc) I haven't got a sausage.

Can you all help me pleeeeease :rolleyes:

Thanks

Tony M

http://tonys.fotopic.net/

http://www.modelrailways.ie

post-8356-12801407629_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I see you have had 95 views and no replies. I think perhaps the track diagram seems a little unlikely and it is putting people off a bit. There seems to be no access to the red lines from some of the blue platforms and vice versa. Also an MPD with 3 exits seems a bit odd. I would suggest bringing all three green lines together and just have the bottom connection to the layout. Have you an actual prototype in mind?

Regards

Richard Binns

Thanks for the replies.

I see what you mean, csvt2004, with no access from the red lines... Humm I didn't think of that.

I worked up the track plan (not based on any prototype) with the points and track that I have (all Peco code 75) and trying to squeeze it into 8ft x 2ft..

The MPD(ish) will be built from parts from Walthers Cornerstone Diesel House (this is a fantastic kit) hence the 3 exits. My plan for this will be more of a maintenance depot with static locos being worked on and I was going to leave the roof open so you can see the goings on inside :-) and build a more modern steel portal frame structure around it.

If I come up with a new track plan, solving the red to green line access, I'll post it up.

Thanks again

regards

Tony M

The MPD(ish) will be built from parts from Walthers Cornerstone Diesel House (this is a fantastic kit) hence the 3 exits.

What csvt2004 meant by exits was not the shed roads but the connections from the depot to the main running lines, the two facing connections should be deleted, see revised sketch attached.

So far as more connections from blue to red goes what you have allows for reversing only in the one platform but if its primarily a through station then that's OK. Ideally you would move the blue/red crossover further left to allow direct access from all the blue platforms but you haven't really got room for this let alone the facing crossover needed if you want to arrive in the red platforms.

Regards

Keith

post-3169-128128591989_thumb.jpg

I'd suggest taking Keith's idea further and bringing the bottom green track into the same connection as the other three. You should also have a trap on the exit(s) from the MPD.

If you do this then the only visible signal other than the ones you have shown already will be a position light (probably) to control exit moves from the MPD.

Archived