Villa Park

malcolmy

Hi chaps,

I have recently started building an N gauge layout with my youngest son:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/album/1289/1065-villa-park-n-portable-layout/

It is built on a Brilliant-Baseboard, and uses Modelex electronics for conventional analogue control. (I can't anticipate being capable of fitting DCC into N-gauge locos!)

There is a lower main line level. This is just a simple double track oval with loops in the fiddle yard at the back. There will be a station (Trinity Road) at the front. I have fitted automatic station stop modules on each track, so that this layer can be left to run on its own when required.

The middle tier is a simple branch line, with a halt (Holte End) at one end, and a two siding fiddle yard under a tunnel at the other end. (no track laid yet!) It will have a automatic shuttle unit fitted, and be operated by a 14xx & Autocoach and a Railcar.

The top layer is basically just an Inglenook shunting puzzle (Witton Lane Goods). I'm still waiting for some Microtrains auto-couplers, or the new Grafar variety to appear before deciding on the best approach for hands-free operation.

• 10 months later...

Finally I've made some more significant progress...

Here is the layout in its complete skeletal form:

post-1289-0-97557400-1307466222_thumb.jpg

Then I added the scenic base, which is just polystyrene, carved and covered in polyfilla:

post-1289-0-48339100-1307466427_thumb.jpg

post-1289-0-47664900-1307466509_thumb.jpg

post-1289-0-68931300-1307466557_thumb.jpg

I painted the whole lot a dark green (from a DIY matchpot):

post-1289-0-78542500-1307466620_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-97567100-1307466658_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-61736100-1307466693_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-42863800-1307466728_thumb.jpg

Finally I added scatter, fences, trees and hedges:

post-1289-0-14268500-1307466788_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-16507400-1307466838_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-05522100-1307466898_thumb.jpgpost-1289-0-35785300-1307466965_thumb.jpg

I am quite pleased with the result so far. Obviously there are some extra details to add, including sheep and people! (Oh and more trains!)

• 2 weeks later...

So now I've got this far with the layout, I'm not really sure what to do with it! :-(

Originally it was conceived as an exhibition layout, assuming that my youngest son and I would spend time together building and exhibiting. However life doesn't always go as planned - Call of Duty seems to be of much more interest to my son at the moment!

So I have thought about selling the layout. It still needs a bit of work doing on it, so it could easily be tailored to an individual preference, but all of the major work is done. It could provide someone with a very nice layout really.

But what about the cost? When you look on eBay at complete layouts, they don't sell for very much (generally around £200?) I reckon that this layout has so far cost: baseboard £90, controllers & electrics £150, scenery & buildings £100, track >£50. Plus obviously lots of time. Now obviously it provided me with lots of enjoyment (generally!) whilst building it, so I would not expect to recoup all the costs.

So, what's it worth? What is the market for 'complete' model railways?

So, what's it worth? What is the market for 'complete' model railways?

Completed layouts rarely fetch the cost of their components when sold on. Even well-known exhibition layouts rarely command high prices and are usually sold with an objective of preserving them for others to enjoy rather than recouping the construction costs.

The reason for this is that layouts are highly individual things and what suits one person's taste's may not suit another. The only place I can think of where complete layouts command high prices are those built on commision but that is a rather different case.

That is the reason why many modellers choose to dismantle their layouts to re-use the components when they have finished with them.

If you decide you do want to part with it, try listing it on here at what seems like a fair price. Unlike eBay it will cost you nothing and you will not end up having to sell it at a lower price if bids fail to materialise. If you do not get your asking price, you can then consider other options.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Actually talk of selling it spurred Mike back into some level of interest! Plus a couple of new locos and the spark may have returned. It's quite interesting to shunt the inglenook with a Kato Japanese 2-6-4T with lights etc! :rolleyes:

So it seems destined to stay with us for a while longer, and we'll move onto all the fiddly detailing bits next.

Perhaps consider going digital? I know its more money but then he can learn to control the layout from the computer, or you can use a smartphone as a controller. This would put model railways on a technological par with other things! Plus foreign stock or more modern diesels have directional lights and some American models have sound too, all of which can be controlled by DCC. Installing the chips was not as bad as I thought it would be and once I had the right DCC system for my needs, even the alleged black arts of CV setting or programming were fairly simple.

Glad to see interest re-kindled. Computer games last only until completed, the skills and interest generated by building a railway with you could last a lifetime.

• 1 year later...

A few more pictures of recent activity. I've done more detailing, and repaired the damage done during my daughters teenage party back in April. Now it's all working ok. I'm just waiting for some Dapol Easi-Shunt couplers to test on the inglenook - I hope they work ok on steam era 4 wheel wagons?

This is an overall view, showing the top inglenook, the middle layer shuttle, and the bottom layer main line:

post-1289-0-23870900-1346270172_thumb.jpg

Here the exGWR railcar has just arrived at Holte End:

post-1289-0-46926700-1346270209_thumb.jpg

A Warship gets the signal to restart its semi-fast train from Trinity Road:

post-1289-0-17265600-1346270237_thumb.jpg

In the other direction a Royal Scot pauses to take water whilst employed on a fitted freight:

post-1289-0-44815300-1346270264_thumb.jpg

Looks good, don't forget to put some extra weight in the wagons as it aids reliability. I use plant weights from aquarium shops glued o the bottom of the chassis, they are thin so not that noticeable and much cheaper than liquid gravity stuff. Couplers should be fine on short stock but not all have true NEM pockets which are needed to get them to fit. Only the newest releases are fully ready.

It seems to me that the name of your layout is a big giveaway that your an Aston Villa fan!

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan myself, we're doing well in the Championship, lying 2nd after only 3 games played.

Good luck to Villa for the rest of the season.

• 4 months later...

Archived