Britain's Railways In Colour

Baby Deltic

This book has just arrived pre-ordered from Amazon. Basically it is a colour A4 sized hard back of mainly previously unpublished photo's of BR traction in the green/maroon/blue era's. The classes covered are pretty mainstream - mainly Peak's, D800 Warship's, Deltic's, Western's Hymek's, 31's, 37's, 33's, 47's, 22's, 24/25's, 26/27's plus DMU's, Blue Pullmans, DEMU's, EMU's and a few electric loco's. None of the more unusual stuff unfortunately, such as class 15, 16, 21, 28, 41. Still a good book, worth a look.

Author - Colin G. Maggs MBE

ISBN:978 1 84425 651 8

I bought this book yesterday. Though some of the photos are not photographically brilliant (eg lack of depth of field) they are fascinating. Some of the captions are vague or wayward but don't worry about those. There are loads of superb photos, many from the green-to-blue transition era. Well worth having in my view.

Watch out for the 1957 Doncaster prototype corridor first on page 124 in blue/grey.

• 7 months later...

I bought this book earlier today - some lovely photos in the book but a real contrast of standards betwen some of the photos - some are beautifully sharp while a few are rather grainy. But overall reproduction is very nice indeed.

It's very limited geographically in many ways - the title makes you think it will cover a much wider area but worth getting for many of the delightful pre-TOPS post steam photos.

Archived