MLI the class 33's

Dan Griffin

Been out for over a week now.

Must say, as Cl.33s are a favourite of mine, I was a tad disappointed with this issue - primarily because a number of the photos were publishedin another Ian Allan book on the class.

But hey for just over 4 schnutts it's still good value.

Brian R

Andy,

I look forward to all issues of MLI, but I think this issue is one of the best in terms of archive shots and detail close ups.

There are line drawings of all main variants.

The only down side for me at the moment is i haven't found a picture of a 33 on the North Wales Coast Line (although there is one of a 33 at Manchester Picadilly). This issue also lacks the usual 'under construction' photos but I guess this is because BRCW went bust and the archive probably went on a skip.

Thoroughly recommended.

Chris

This issue also lacks the usual 'under construction' photos but I guess this is because BRCW went bust and the archive probably went on a skip.

Not strictly true, the works closed but the company continued in business, becoming the First National Finance Corporation Ltd in 1965 which I believe is now part of Santander.

• RMweb Gold

Not strictly true, the works closed but the company continued in business, becoming the First National Finance Corporation Ltd in 1965 which I believe is now part of Santander.

That gives me an idea... A F1 Mclaren (Santander a major sponsor)works crompton... that's one for the livery photoshoppers :lol:

My apologies.

I'd taken 'gone out of business' to mean gone bust.

I still prefer 'Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Co' to 'First National Finance Corporation Ltd' as a company name. At least it gave you a clue as to what line of business they were in.

Anyway, glad to see they're now part of my local bank with a smiling manager and extended opening hours. Might go and pick his brain about 'slim jims'.

Chris

I presume that finance was part of the business before they stopped rail vehicle production.

My guess is it would have been a part of selling rolling stock to private railway companies or wagon owners.

I seem to recall that one of the constituants of Metro-Cammell was the Metropolitan Wagon and Finance Co. or something similar.

I picked up a copy today at the local Smiffies reading rooms - an excellent magazine. Quality pics, paper and finish, and the contents are spot on for class 33 enthusiasts. Well worth the wait and well worth getting. I'm inspired to re-visit and update all my class 33 models. Damn.

G.

Archived