Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

When would you stop collecting

Do they allow model railway layouts in heaven? :D

Well, since hell is defined as the abscence of God, and we all know GWR really stands for God's Wonderful Railway, we should be OK ... ;)

• RMweb Premium

In Heaven, there always be enough time to build the kits.

In Hell, there'd be no need for a soldering iron.

I think he meant that your burial plot would be at least an acre just for the unstarted kits!

I will get one of the Bachmann 03's when they come out, and would still like to do 37025 in Blue circa 1977 as it had lost the connecting doors by then, but other than that I havemost locos that I want.

This comes back to a concept I've mentioned before on here in some other buried thread - the 'rolling stock library'. The idea is to create a 'set' of fairly generic items that allows you model an era and to build a series of layouts to run them on.

For example, for a future 70s blue diesel OO project I've got...

Class 31

Class 47

3 x Mk I full brake newspaper/parcels

6 x 16 ton minerals

2 x brake vans

4 x box vans

3 x Presflos

...and the Class 47 only added about because it was going cheap. The idea however is that you could transplant or run that across several layouts from an inner city to countryside setting, and from a variety of locations across the country. To me, that 'set' or 'library' is fairly complete, so... I've stopped collecting.

I've got four main libraries...

N gauge LMS

N gauge 70s blue diesel

N gauge 60s steam

OO gauge 70s blue diesel

...and they're all fairly complete. Bits get changed as better products come out (latest one: Farish Black 5 goes in, Farish 8F comes out) but new purchases outside of that require a new 'library' to be built. For example, the recent Class 28 Co-Bo is a loco I love so I'll be getting one of those, but I've very little (if anything) that can be run with it, so that will require it's own set of rolling stock.

Essentially it's a way of keeping the spending under control and stop it running away with itself! Yes I could add to the 70s OO gauge set as the new Bachmann Class 37/0 looks great... but do I really need it?

I can see the logic in that, although I've just mentally tried to apply it to my own collection, and not totally succeeded....

Basically, I'm an LMS modeller, and can divide a lot of my collection into 4 main 'libraries', with quite a few locos and coaching/wagon stock that overlap between a couple of them

Library 1: LMS Grouping to early 30's (eg.,Fowler 2-6-4T and Crab in red, early-liveried 4F with cabside 'LMS' and MR-style tender numbers)

Library 2: LMS mid/late 30's (Stanier Pacifics, 8F, Black 5s, plus some of the locos from the first group)

Library 3: LMS circa 1946/48- (Ivatt Flying Pig, 2MT 2-6-0, 2-6-2T, Fairburn, and earlier freight locos etc)

Library 4: BR LMR transition era (various ex-LMS locos in BR livery plus a couple of green diesels)

So far so good, sounds like a fairly disciplined and organised approach, as I've got coaching and wagon stock that's on the whole appropriate for all of those 4 'libraries'

Trouble is, there's a worrying amount of other stuff that doesn't really fit those libraries. OK, Deltic DP1 fits my 'LMR early transition era library' as it did some of it's early trials there, but the A4, Warships and Heljan Falcon are a bit more problematic, to say nothing of Kestrel, a small collection of NCB-liveried Hornby Austerities (we'll call those Library 5- for the colliery layout I plan to build one day...), a couple of blue diesels (OK, they fit in with that late 60's/early 70's colliery layout idea, and now you mention it, Kestrel spent a bit of time working coal trains...), and a few oddities, childhood relics and one-offs that don't really fit anywhere...

I certainly buy far less than I used to- partly because apart from a few new releases in the pipeline (Bachmann 3F) I've got the majority of the stock I need for any future layout plans, and I've been bitten by the recession sufficiently that I'm now much less susceptible to that 'Oooh a shiny thing' reaction produced by the latest announcements of limited editions than I might have been a couple of years ago- I didn't buy a City of Truro, or a Heljan 14, Clayton or 15, and probably won't succumb to the call of the Blue Pullman- though the LMS twins might be harder to resist...

Of course, if I won the lottery this weekend, it would be a different story. I suspect it would be more a case of 'When is my collection complete? Not until the manufacturers stop making stuff...'

I don't think that I'll stop collecting.

As an example I have replaced some of the older less detailled items with the latest versions of the product. There are some items that are not being updated so they are replaced by other new gems.

I'm sure that there are many that are like me and upgrade your fleet. I have plans to replace the 04 with the new 03 as an example.

My personal preference is to buy only models of locomotives which still exist, though I'll stretch that to include another individual of the same class. So I live in hope that the new build Gresley P2 and the subsequent Hornby or Bachmann model will transpire before I expire...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back in the 50s and 60s, when RTR was much more limited in scope and quality, and money was generally tighter in many households, the number of locos on a layout seldom reached double figures. You knew this because every Railway of the Month in Railway Modeller solemnly listed the entire stud. Indeed, Editor C.J.Freezer would offer advice to modellers who felt their layout had reached a certain point "If in doubt, add a locomotive", such a momentous decision was this seen to be.

What he might make of the unfettered expressions of intended purchase contained in this thread I cannot imagine!

I really should stop collecting models and start building the layout for my stock to run on. At the moment the club layout is directing my buying which is good as it is also what I want to model anyway.

On the other hand, Please Mr Bachmann can you shrink your 00 Desiro asap, as I would really need 3 or 4 of those, and Mr Dapol when is that Pendolino going to appear as I could do with at least 2 of those.

My biggest problem is that I generally have most of the stock that I need, a HST and a 56 would be nice but but not a must have. As is a 70, but I can still see me getting one, even though I know it would push the 58 and a few other bits out of the picture and I would then need a rake of freightliner hoppers for it to pull as I couldn't relegate my 86 from the containers. what to do what to do?

Best thing that I did was to start working in rakes of wagons and not buying bits and pieces. It keeps me only buying what is needed although, still just for the club layout not mine.

Thankfully the 0 gauge isn't so difficult to control, not having many locos that I want is always a help, the next big one is the Heljan 31, but as its not due for another year, at least it wont be a problem.

Alistair

I've got a list of locomotives I "need" (i.e. want :lol: )

Maybe when I've crossed everything off then maybe I'll stop buying. But what's more likely to happen is I'll widen my interests so I can then justify buying more stock :D

In the last 2 weeks my loco collection has expanded by 7 diesel locos, 7 steam locos and another DMU, so with that total lack of discipline, I've definitely got to book an appointment with the rehab clinic to break the addiction.:unsure:

Archived