Model Rail Reader Survey

Dear Modeller,

Here at Model Rail we are always striving to produce the most practical,

inspirational and enjoyable magazine for today's railway modellers. To

make sure we are doing this, we want to hear from you. What is your

layout like? What do you think about Model Rail? How could we make it

better?

To capture your thoughts, we've set up an online questionnaire and we'd

be extremely grateful if you could spend a few minutes filling it in.

Not only will your views help shape the future of Model Rail but by

completing the survey, we'll enter you into a prize draw to win a goody

bag of models, books and DVDs.

To open the questionnaire, simply click on the link below:

http://www.bauersurveys.co.uk/mr2010/mr2010.htm

(if the link doesn't work, please try copying and pasting it into your

browser).

Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing your views,

The Model Rail team.

Follow us on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/modelrailUK

DON’T MISS MODEL RAIL LIVE AT BARROW HILL ON SEPTEMBER 25/26th 2010!

• RMweb Gold

I completed it off the Bauer email link an hour or so back and it worked fine but I couldn't find the 'padlock' on the personal details page at the end so do wonder (too late) if it is fully secure?

BTW - very sensibly constructed survey I thought and it stuck to the subject. Will the results be published as they should make interesting reading?

I hope mine worked but I kept having the same problem right at the end when submitting after filling in the prize draw details page. Does this mean that I need to fill it in again or will my responses have counted?

• RMweb Gold

Also had a failure at the end of the survey.

A couple of points...

- "What sort of layout do you have ?" - the options were Steam, Modern or both - what does 1970's blue diesel count as ?blink.gif (I chose Modern).

- "Which gauge is your layout" ? - Should this have been scale rather than gauge ? (7mm narrow gauge was not an option)

- "Where is your layout?" - No option for portable / exhibiton layouts or club layouts (there was the option of 'other')

- "Which of the following types of modelling do you take part in?" - Options were R-T-R, Kit, or scratchbuilt - My stock is 99% R-T-R but my buildings are 75% scratch built - maybe one question for rolling stock and a seperate one for scenery ?

HTH

Stu

• RMweb Premium

A couple of points...

- "What sort of layout do you have ?" - the options were Steam, Modern or both - what does 1970's blue diesel count as ?blink.gif (I chose Modern).

I said steam although I willl have some early sixties diesel which is hardly modern. Maybe transition period should have been an option?

Also had a failure at the end of the survey.

A couple of points...

- "Which gauge is your layout" ? - Should this have been scale rather than gauge ? (7mm narrow gauge was not an option)

- "Where is your layout?" - No option for portable / exhibiton layouts or club layouts (there was the option of 'other')

- "Which of the following types of modelling do you take part in?" - Options were R-T-R, Kit, or scratchbuilt - My stock is 99% R-T-R but my buildings are 75% scratch built - maybe one question for rolling stock and a seperate one for scenery ?

HTH

Stu

You can tick as many as you like on the type of modelling and most other options.

Sanity checking would have been good, especially on the page that asks you to tick 'top 3' and you can tick them all..

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can tick them all, and I did pick more than one, but the options didn't cover all my reasonable requirements (not that they ever would cover everyone's choices, but I thought there were a few ommisions).

Sanity checking would involve validation routines, etc., probably overkill for a simple survey.

Stu

I fully concur with Stubby's point about layou location. My 2 live in the garage but that's only for storage as they are exhibition layouts and hardly get used at home. By putting 'Garage' as their location it skews the results to my mind. The same applies to time operating. I had to guess at an average based on show usage plus testing.

steve

I've just completed it, but is the prize draw avaialble to overseas readers? When filling out the address details at the end there is no provison tio indicate Country, just County. Unless Australia is now being considered a county of the UK? rolleyes.gif . I've filledi it in regardless.

• RMweb Gold

Worked OK for me but the worrying bit is that I'm now in the next to oldest age group! How did that happen?

... while my age group will change between now and the closing date - so I've said what it will be then!

I like the way we're asked how we think the amount of "how-to" articles compares with what it "used to be like", about 1 year back. If you discount changes in layout and typefaces, very few magazines are likely to change much over this timescale - comparison with 10 or 20 years back would probably be more useful.

Also of interest was the list of magazines we read - I notice that "Continental Modeller" and "Model Railroader" weren't listed and there wasn't an option for other "reads", like the free e-zine "Model Railroad Hobbyist". OK, I know you can't possibly list everything - but I'd have thought these would be obvious ones.

It might also have been interesting to find out how many readers are on model railway forum sites (and which ones) - still, there's always next time!

Some people might also have appreciated a box for "any further comments" - or one asking us to say if we'd be happy to be contacted for further info on anything we said. For those who signed up for "friends of Model Rail", or similar, the answer would be obvious - but there might also be other people interested in providing this feedback.

Anyway, I don't want this to sound like a "moan-fest" - it isn't. I think the perfect survey is yet to be invented - it probably never will be!

Regards,

Huw.

Archived