Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly can't claim any credit for this picture. For those who took photos in the days of film, you'll remember that you had to shoot off a couple of frames to get a newly-loaded film past any possible 'fogging' caused when loading the film. Well, I loaded a new film while standing in the cab of one of the engines in Woodham's yard in September 1967. This was one of the throwaway pictures, taken with the camera pointing down at the footplate. Completely unintentional, but I like the result:

post-1771-0-51149700-1325576521_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Rambling around Blaenau Ffestiniog.....

post-6680-0-36775800-1323776938.jpgpost-6680-0-43627000-1323776932.jpg

These pictures look great and could quite easily be models. There is a form of photography called tilt-shift which can make pictures look more like models and this can be faked in Photoshop. I hope you don't mind but I have doctored your pictures slighty to give them a more model look to them. Hope you like.

post-8259-0-09371900-1325885340.jpg

post-8259-0-02838400-1325885341.jpg

• Like 4

It's been a while since I viewed this thread... it's nice to see it alive and well. This prompted me to have a look back at some of my recent shots, and I wondered whether this was worthy of inclusion.

This is 55019 (RHF) released from the rear of the train, still coupled to 55002 (KOYLI) and behind that D9009 (Aly). 55022 (RSG) has just dragged its train out of bury station down towards heywood, leaving D9016 (GH) on the rear to return what had possibly been the most powerful locomotive hauled train to run in the UK... 14,850hp has been quoted - the Deltic Gala Saturday night Beer-ex.

I wandered to the platform end to join the other photters grabbing a shot of 19, 2 and 9 sat coupled prior to return to the yard... this image grabbed me... and I took two shots. This was the best.

post-8351-0-76003400-1325888173_thumb.jpg

Another shot taken just a little earlier up at Rawtenstall. 55022 is passing 55019 running around the 6 coach and 4 Deltic train to drag it all back to Bury... RSG's bodyside windows and illuminated engine compartment blur with the slow shutter speed needed to get enough light for this shot, at 1600ASA... Given that this was hand held, I was still quite pleased with the result (thank goodness for ISM lenses)

post-8351-0-57351300-1325888192_thumb.jpg

Jon

• Like 2

These pictures look great and could quite easily be models. There is a form of photography called tilt-shift which can make pictures look more like models and this can be faked in Photoshop. I hope you don't mind but I have doctored your pictures slighty to give them a more model look to them. Hope you like.

post-8259-0-09371900-1325885340.jpg

post-8259-0-02838400-1325885341.jpg

I would be pleased if my layout looks like this when finished.

Merf.

...tilt-shift ...I hope you don't mind but I have doctored your pictures slighty to give them a more model look to them....

(Post 185)

You have to look twice:

In the first photo, what happened to the top of the vertical pole on the right?

In the second, there's a big depth of focus along the track and the big shed, which to me jars a bit with the out of focus elements.

Can you control which zones the Photoshop fakery applies the "fuzziness" to?

(Post 185)

You have to look twice:

In the first photo, what happened to the top of the vertical pole on the right?

In the second, there's a big depth of focus along the track and the big shed, which to me jars a bit with the out of focus elements.

Can you control which zones the Photoshop fakery applies the "fuzziness" to?

You can adjust the effect in photoshop and the zones it is applied to. The two great pictures were taken by Coachman in post #181 . I only spent a few minutes with them to show the basic effect, but they could be better.

Quickly you select the area you want to blur using the lasoo tool. Modify that by applying a feather, here you might have to experiment with the amount. Then apply the lens blur filter and change units to get the picture. Over saturate the picture to give it a more model like appearance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, very nice. It's shots like that (as well as more abstract ones) which inspired me to start this thread (both here and on RMweb 3).

Edited by Ian J.

I do like that one! If I might make a constructive suggestion, it'd ideally work better with a shorter train - partly for authenticity, partly to see the loco, partly for composition... Admittedly short trains aren't particularly easy to come by on the valley (save the drivex, which is perhaps a little too short!), but maybe an early morning run on a gala day with 2-4 coaches, before it gets too busy? Just an idea!

Edited by 37255