Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple from me...

First up is a picture taken on the Barcelona Metro. I have inverted the picture to make the numbers show the correct way round!

post-6831-083824000 1290897398_thumb.jpg

Next is a line up of cab fronts taken at Littlehampton back in April 2006. The class 73 is 73136, top-and-tailing the 'Blueberry Fool' tour along with 73107.

post-6831-007242200 1290897421_thumb.jpeg

I like it and think it has a lot more going for it than the myriad of 'stilted' shots seen elsewhere. It's all about movement and ambience at the end of the day, look at some of Colin.T.Gifford's work.

Regards,

Dudley

http://www.dudleys-photos.co.uk

I know this is blurred and out of focus, but I quite like it.

Do you think it's atmospheric, or just a poor picture (be honest.....)

Four photos compiled as a single photo of a unidentified NIR 3000 Class passing Derriaghy at speed

All images were made hand held at 1/20th Sec @ f1.8 and compiled as one using a programme called Autostitch.

post-2692-079172500 1291235886_thumb.jpg

Flash plus a one second exposure helped to produce this strange image of 3006 leaving Lisburn for Bangor.

K9-70

Don't know if your camera/flash system supports "second curtain sychronisation" but that would help create a better impression of movement. The light trails would lead into the flash exposure rather than out of it (if that makes sense).

My old (film!) SLR system only supports SSC with an expensive, dedicated on-camera flash, but a more recent digital compact from the same stable includes the feature as standard (if I can remember how to set it without a manual in the field).

HTH.

The last Enterprise working of 2006 calls at Lisburn to set down passengers before leaving for Belfast Central.

219 Lisburn 31-12-2006 @ 20:28pm

A good picture under difficult conditions, I'm guessing this was taken on a digital camera, but the "brownish cast" suggests film stock.

For obvious reasons you couldn't use flash (loco first towards Belfast, but same applies even if this was the trailing end) and the high contrast (high ASA?) means that shadow detail has been lost. A little more exposure might have helped - half a stop, say.

The night conditions and the fluorescent lamp lights have made it difficult to achieve a neutral (white) balance, but this isn't really too much of a problem. When I said "brownish cast", that's because in low light our eyes are more sensitive to blue and truer renditions of low light from film or digital can appear brownish. Some photographers used to use tungsten-balanced film (or an 80A filter with daylight film) to give a blue effect, but to my eyes this tends to be overdone - perhaps a more subtle 82-series "cooling" filter may be more pleasing.

Personal perceptions, offered constructively, your mileage may vary.

Don't know if your camera/flash system supports "second curtain sychronisation" but that would help create a better impression of movement. The light trails would lead into the flash exposure rather than out of it (if that makes sense).

My old (film!) SLR system only supports SSC with an expensive, dedicated on-camera flash, but a more recent digital compact from the same stable includes the feature as standard (if I can remember how to set it without a manual in the field).

HTH.

Hi Eddie,

The onboard Nikon D100 Speedlight flash supports front and rear curtain flash.

I think what I did was release the shutter as the train was leaving the platform and then fired the flash near the end of the one second exposure to create this unusual image.

The yellow light in the centre would be the roof mounted headlight of the train, and the two lower lights would have been white in colour instead of red as shown in the image as the train was leaving the platform.

K9-70

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never been a good judge of what's 'art' or even when I've taken a good photo myself. I've always thought that this ghostly shot of the bluebell's U-boat and fenchurch, with steam provided by the C class on a cold January morning (last year), is quite atmospheric, though I supposed that's for you to decide!

As I had to resize it for the forum I decided to remove a person standing by in a modern-looking rain coat, so the sizing might be a bit off and some of the effect lost, but here goes!

post-7423-0-15268500-1294842339_thumb.jpg

• Like 3