Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

Our nearest freight location - Day's Aggregates siding at Newhaven. Most of its material arrives by train. The empties, which I believe initially head for Acton, leave about 12.15 pm, slotted in between the half-hourly Seaford to Brighton 313 services. I have been told that they arrive at night.

The head on shot was taken from a footpath crossing at some distance north, with the sun almost directly behind the train. So a fair amount of tinkering in Photoshop Elements has taken place The side shots were taken across a lineside pallet business.

The train is longer than it appears, as it is sitting across a crossover, with the tailend visible on the farther line and the middle hidden from view.

I think that I saw this loco at another aggregates site near Gatwick on the 17th., so may be it doesn't go as far as Acton - or maybe it was topping up that depot's stock.

post-14351-0-85021100-1455580023_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

• 2 weeks later...

While working through my old photos to scan I came across this, which must have been taken by my brother Steve

as I would not have attempted this sort of thing back then.

post-7081-0-55671000-1456497669_thumb.jpg

Looking through the footbridge steps at Bristol Parkway, possibly July 1983,

cheers

• Like 3

While waiting for a train at Hamburg Central Station, I wandered a little around and found this inspiring place. The photo was taken by the cell phone camera of a Blackberry classic. To get that specific look, I applied an Avenue filter. Sometimes, reality looks almost better than my dioramas ;-)

Joern

24961836040_4879a07e50_z.jpgHidden place by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

Edited by jpachl
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A shot taken from inside the train, with all the attendant reflections, turned into something a bit arty with a lot of saturation! I suppose it could have been put in the 'Ooop's lessons to be learned' thread just as appropriately.

post-14351-0-59331600-1457250340_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

I took this photo back in about 1980, when I was spending a few days wandering around London. I got on an Underground train, and was charmed by the 1930s styling of the surface rolling stock. I took out the little Ricoh G 35 mm camera I usually carried, just to get a record shot. I didn't expect much of it; the meter said 2 seconds exposure at f2.8, and I had daylight colour film loaded. Still, I waited till the train came to a stop at a station, got my snap and put the camera away.

The print I eventually received has been a puzzle to me ever since. I don't think I noticed at the time the woman in white at the centre of the picture. When I look at it now I see a princess, or maybe a priestess from the ancient middle east, and wonder why I didn't move a few inches to get a clear view of her face, which I feel must have been beautiful. Opposite her, more passengers rush into the train, and seem to pause in surprise at the woman in white enthroned there.

Of course, the picture shows the limitations of the photographic materials I had to hand, yet they enhance, for me at any rate, the effect of a humble snap.

post-7286-0-28638000-1457996746_thumb.jpg

Original 5.125"x 3.5" scanned on an Epson V200 flatbed.

• Like 7

Sheringham Station, North Norfolk Railway

attachicon.gifDSC08526-1024x1365.JPG

Fine set of pictures by Shadow, with the last of the four, IMHO, easily the most satisfying. The pattern of the window glazing is attractive in itself, and is used effectively to show a series of of smaller pictures within the whole. This is particularly successful, I think, in the “miniatures” of parts of the canopy in the uppermost grouping of eight small panes.

I like it.

• RMweb Gold

A collage from the parts of Metropolitan No.23 of which one could get a reasonably clear shot. Never ever go to the London Transport Museum in school holidays! On entering the corridor leading to the cloakroom it is a buggy park, double parked its whole length - probably 50+ buggies at least. These were not the only buggies, there were plenty being pushed around the museum. I was expecting school age children on their Spring half-term holidays, as were my grandchildren aged 8 & 10. Some of them would of necessity have had younger brothers &/or sisters with them, however many of the groups of children in the museum were mainly under-fives. I blame the ticketing structure. Adults pay £17, (concessions - £14.50) but that is for a year's admission. Children go in free. So having paid your £17 you can go in whenever you want, with upto three children, for the rest of the year. So it becomes a transport based playground, with coffee shop for parents and a gift shop to up-date your Thomas collection. I must go back in term time - as I have paid my £14.50 for the year. I expect that, as the buggy brigade are under school age, there could still be a fair number using it as a playground even then. It was too noisy and alive with small people under ones feet, to point out things of interest to older children, like my grandchildren. Sad! Anyway I got a few snaps even so.

post-14351-0-59803600-1458763838_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

phil_sutters, your collages always remind me (in a good way) of the picture postcards you used to get, with "Cleethorpes" and a collage of three or four photos of your resort in unbelievably sunny weather! 

A bit like this ebay one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lincolnshire-Postcard-Cleethorpes-F0-004-/301750266405

I'm sure the LT museum would sell a few of your latest one.

• Like 1