Voyagers at the southern end of the WCML

Jim Martin

I recently spent several days staying at my mother's house, which is very close to the WCML at Berkhamsted. Among the Pendos and London Midland and Southern units, I was surprised to see quite a few Voyagers. I assume that these go into Euston, but whereabouts is the other end of the line? Do they go to Holyhead?

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I recently spent several days staying at my mother's house, which is very close to the WCML at Berkhamsted. Among the Pendos and London Midland and Southern units, I was surprised to see quite a few Voyagers. I assume that these go into Euston, but whereabouts is the other end of the line? Do they go to Holyhead?

Jim

Euston to Holyhead services.

They do go further than Holyhead. I was at Carlisle, Holme and Warrington Bank Quay a few weeks ago (on a bit of a trip! ;)) and we had a fair few Voyagers through those places. For the life of me I can't remember where they were heading.

Andy.

They do go further than Holyhead. I was at Carlisle, Holme and Warrington Bank Quay a few weeks ago (on a bit of a trip! ;)) and we had a fair few Voyagers through those places. For the life of me I can't remember where they were heading.

Andy.

These are the New Street to Glasgow/Edinburgh service not the Euston to N Wales trains. Occasionally, particularly for engineering works, they do work other services out of Euston.

These are the New Street to Glasgow/Edinburgh service not the Euston to N Wales trains. Occasionally, particularly for engineering works, they do work other services out of Euston.

New Street to Glasgow/Edinburgh service - a quite bizarre situation of not having enough electric units to serve all your fully under the wires services. I wonder if Virgin had the option to purchase their own trains if they would still be running diesels to Scotland.

Ah, thanks for that! Couldn't remember what their destinations were!

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

There was a Euston - Lancaster, & return, working in the timetable last year but I don't know if that still runs. Supposedly booked for 2x221 it seemed to run as frequently with one set as with two.

Well worth a trip if it's still running - goes like bat out of whatsit on the Up journey in particular :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Euston to Lancaster is now a Pendo StationMaster.

The Voyagers are on Euston - Chester/Bangor/Holyhead/Wrexham (and return) services, or occasionally they substitute for other services.

• RMweb Gold

Voyagers working through Cheddington during the afternoon of 19 July 2010

Because of the Grayrigg write off, substitutions occur, sometimes the Pretending lino and sometimes Voyagers, sadly, for me, this day it was Voyagers.

221108, Sir Ernest Shackleton, on 1A33, 12:35, Chester - London Euston

221115 on 1S77, 13:43, London Euston - Glasgow Central

221103 on 1B50, 13:30, Birmingham New Street - London Euston

221107, Sir Martin Frobisher, on 1D88, 14:10, London Euston - Chester

221105, William Baffin, on 1C75, 14:30, London Euston - Lancaster

221110, James Cook, on 1A38, 12:24, Bangor - London Euston

221108, Sir Ernest Shackleton, on 1D89, 15:10, London Euston - Chester

221103, Christopher Columbus, on 1G29, 15:23, London Euston - Wolverhampton

221143, Auguste Picard, and 221142, Matthew Flinders, on 1A43, 14:35, Chester - London Euston

221110, James Cook, on 1D90, 16:10, London Euston - Bangor

• RMweb Gold

1A43 is always* a pair, it's formed of a Holyhead - Chester working which joins with a Euston - Chester working - at Chester, an opportunity to see a Voyager shunting !

* barring failures.

They do go further than Holyhead.

Hope not unless they have flotation tanks and waterproof doors !!!

Sorry Andy - couldn't resist !!!!

AIUI The Virgin voyagers work Euston-Chester-Holyhead services, sometimes as pairs to Chester, where the trailing unit from Euston is detached. I recently caught a pair from Crewe where this happened and the Virgin Train Manager went to great lengths to establish that passengers in the trailing unit were not travelling beyond Chester.

The other VV service is Birmingham - Glasgow / Edinburgh.

Some weekends see VVs being used over unwired / deenergised routes as diversions.

*Cough* - I've already answered Phil.

I forgot Birmingham, that well known Southerly station on the WCML wink.gif

Oops sorry Beast.

Musta been late to the party !!!!

New Street to Glasgow/Edinburgh service - a quite bizarre situation of not having enough electric units to serve all your fully under the wires services. I wonder if Virgin had the option to purchase their own trains if they would still be running diesels to Scotland.

The Birmingham to Glasgow/Edinburgh via the west coast service was run by Cross Country until the November 2007 franchise change which saw the Cross Country franchise change hands form Virgin to Arriva. As part of the new franchise, the above mentioned services were passed to Virgin West Coast to operate, along with a fleet of ex Cross Country 221s, on the orders of the DFT. I cannot see the 221s being replaced by electric units any time soon.

Voyagers are in use through the summer on Euston-Birmingham diagrams in order to free up a couple of Pendolinos to provide more seats for Birmingham-Edinburgh. There is also a programme to replace the noses on Pendos, which may affect availability, and Pendo4 is currently down to 8 coaches (when did I become a Pendo foamer...?).

It's a pity they couldn't use the Pretendalino more often, to ensure 100% under the wires services aren't worked by Voyagers. And it's not as if crew knowledge is an issue, as they are diagrammed over the southern half of the WCML anyway.

• RMweb Premium

From personal experience the voyagers are useful for diversions via the Settle and Carlisle when +Shap is closed for egineering works. It gives a chance for a ride over the hellifield Blackburn line. Buses are used for the intermediate stations on the WCML between Carlisle and Preston with pedolino's doing Glasgow carlisle and Preston onwards and Voyagers providing the through service.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

The Birmingham to Glasgow/Edinburgh via the west coast service was run by Cross Country until the November 2007 franchise change which saw the Cross Country franchise change hands form Virgin to Arriva. As part of the new franchise, the above mentioned services were passed to Virgin West Coast to operate, along with a fleet of ex Cross Country 221s, on the orders of the DFT. I cannot see the 221s being replaced by electric units any time soon.

Is the Manchester - WCML (Newton le Willows) electrification link still going ahead?

If so, IIRC this was going to lead to Manchester - Scotland services being operated by a 350 variant vice the current 185s. These would be the most likely replacement for the Voyagers on Brum-Scotland services if it all goes ahead.

edit - just had a horrible thought - this could see the two services joined together. Brum-Scotland via Manchester airport anybody? Different franchises at the moment I know but...

Archived