Helensdale a LNER layout

micklner

Helensdale a 4mm/00 LNER ex NER Layout

by micklner

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:39 pm

A few pictures of my almost complete OO layout Helensdale named in honour of my long suffering wife !! I made a start in September 2008 on this all I need to do is Signals of which i have no idea of what is required and will be a request on the Help forum soon!!

Built using conventional methods on a Plywood base with Peco Code Electrofrog Code 75 points and SMP track on cork underlay.

Its based in a 10'x8' shed and is three scenic sides with a small fiddle yard with a lifting flap by the door. Pictures are from left to right. I have used amongst others Skaledale , Ratio, Wills, Mikes Model and Town Street as a source for the buildings etc.

I much prefer building rolling stock and this is my first layout for over 20 years.

file.php?id=84732

file.php?id=84733

file.php?id=84734

file.php?id=84735

file.php?id=84736

file.php?id=84737

file.php?id=84738

file.php?id=84739

file.php?id=84740

file.php?id=84741

file.php?id=84742

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Just found some earlier build pictures

file.php?id=85098

file.php?id=85099

file.php?id=85100

file.php?id=85101

file.php?id=85102

file.php?id=85103

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi

Its a Nucast Q6 ,a nice runner with a Mashima and High Level Gearbox

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi

Its the Skaledale Goathland Coal drop to which I have added the end section and steps from Plastikard superglued to the original body. Run up is a suitably modified piece of wood.

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi

Had problems with points shorting which has now been sorted , I added extra insulating gaps which cured the short , but still dont know why there was the short !!. icon_what.gif icon_what.gif . I only have to build some signals to complete Helensdale. I have learnt a lot from building the layout for future use.

Re the G5, yes I sold a very old Nucast version on E bay and a Millhome A2/3 . Wouldnt touch either make nowdays both very clunky whitemetal castings compared to etched brass kits. I recomend the London Road Models version . I have the Geo Norton version which is now the London Road Model its superb and on my workbench thread a few pages back. I have been looking at the 52F website as they are doing various ex NER Loco chassis which work on very tight curves.

Nowdays I always use Mashima Motors and High Level Gearboxes and if i can get them Romford wheels as Markits are a silly price.

Mick

??? posted on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

James wrote:

micklner wrote:

Re the G5, yes I sold a very old Nucast version on E bay and a Millhome A2/3 . Wouldnt touch either make nowdays both very clunky whitemetal castings compared to etched brass kits.

I actually think some of the Nu Cast locos are still worthy of work! We will have a Nu Cast J21 on Botanic - have a look here for more details. Some of the North Eastern kits do have potential. We even have a Millhome Ivatt mogul which may yet get too!

The Nucast locos I have are a J21 ,J27, N8 awaits a new chassis from London Road Models version it still has a XO4 motor ,Q6 and a Sentinel Railcar are all in the region of 20+ years old with awful old fashioned chassis other than the Railcar which has cost me a fortune to get working, finally succeded with a Balck Beetle recently . They compared to Millholme are still quite good looking locos , I have been told the J27 & Q6 is miles out dimensionally ?? I never managed to get the G5 to work hence ebayed as not willing to spend anymore on it!!.

Millholme are in my opinion very poor I had a A2/3 and Thompson Q1 shunter. The A2/3 the loco itself wasnt too bad the tender however was so heavy and chunky it could have put a good show up at the Battle of Jutland!!! The Q1 wasnt far behind in weight and quality , hence the both went via ebay as again not worth spending further money to improve.

Mick

??? posted on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Benbow wrote:

Looks good
icon_clap.gif
Nothing like naming it after the wife to keep her happy
icon_lol.gif
Where did you get the Cattle Lorry? I've been looking for a suitable old one but not seen this version before.

Roger

Hi

Sorry as most of my vehicles on the layout they are 20+ years old and none have a makers mark, no idea I am afraid

Mick

• 9 months later...
Guest TomTank

Decided to have a look at the last page of layouts, and saw your lovely layout Mick, always enjoy following your work.

Any more pics of Helesdale?

Tom

Decided to have a look at the last page of layouts, and saw your lovely layout Mick, always enjoy following your work.

Any more pics of Helesdale?

Tom

The latest are on my LNER Models thread . I suppose I should have put them here tooo:blink:

cheers

Mick

May i ask where you got your carriage from, in front of the crane ?

I have an old lima crane and am looking for such a carriage too.

keep up the good work.

They are the D&S NER Mess &Tool Vans as is the actual Crane in the picture too

Lovely, as will said above, lovely to see some Apple green on the site. The balcony ended coach in the last picture has intruiged me, what prototype is that a model of, and where did you get the kit from?

Lovely layout, thanks for showing us!

Lovely, as will said above, lovely to see some Apple green on the site. The balcony ended coach in the last picture has intruiged me, what prototype is that a model of, and where did you get the kit from?

Lovely layout, thanks for showing us!

More D&S !! this one is a a NER  Inspection Saloon

thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Revisions to the MPD area .

Coal drop based on the one at Blyth and Engine Shed extended to Four Roads.

Track layout has been much revised. As a result as well as per photos I now also have a siding for coaches and a sidings for the Breakdown Crane and Ballast train. Now awaits further scenic work in front of the Shed area

post-7186-0-00309800-1308904508_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-34388000-1308904521_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-22493400-1308904532_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-26447800-1308904542_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick,

Looks good.

Now, looking at your earlier photos of the 2 road engine shed, am I right in assuming that you have done some changes to add the extra 2 road engine shed? Then theres the coal drops too. Too me it looks like its in the same spot. But I could be wrong.

Any way it looks great. The A1/A3's look good too. 3 with original buffer beams and 2 with nicks on the corner. I have just received a copy of Tony Wright's book on LNER pacifics, very good pruchase. I will have to settle for my 2 LNER A1/A3 and my 3 A4 pacifics.

Are you getting a Hornby B17 to add to the collection?

I must get onto finishing my layout. But then I have not long returned home from visiting the UK and seeing Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley, J72 and some teaks on the SVR and NYMR.

Mark in OZ

No to the B17 as this layout is based in the North East of England hence Coal Drops in use for Locos and Domestic Coal as in the earlier pictures . The B17's were mainly based in the ex GER area Norfolk to London area . I am not aware of any getting that far North.

thanks

This is a really nice layout - you must be very pleased with the outcome. Any chance of a layout plan posted on here? I also have shed (i.e. garden shed) aspirations for a mk 2 version of Hawthorn Town. I would be pleased to hear your experiences about your (garden) shed.

Regards,

brian.

This is built in a shed 10ft x 8ft and from bitterish experience I wish I had gone for a 12ft length x 9ft wide. :mellow: In my opinion this is the minimum length to make a oval layout with any kind of viable curves and sensible storage sidings.

This is the third time I have re done the sidings areas to obtain sidings for storage. I wont be changing it again :cry:

I will do a current plan and post in due course

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

This is a beautiful layout. I always find it a delight when you see Big Four layouts as I find this to a very colourful period. The rolling stock you have is great. Lovely LNER crane set and I am envious of that Q6 you have ^_^. What are the measurements of this layout if you don't mind me asking?

Garethp8873.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never had a problem with cold. It would be impossible to use in the summer if insulated I have seen 30+ Centigrade on numerous occasions without insulation.

It alarmed/ padlocked , I am lucky as location is also secure .

Archived