Plattling webcam

• RMweb Premium

Still snowing, and life carries on as normal.... plenty of shunting and freight movements. One day I'd like to have a look at this place for real. Perhaps we should have an RMWeb forum day trip....

post-238-068234500 1292409504_thumb.jpg

That would be a Railpool class 185 in this screengrab you posted, by the way :) .

More snow over night, everything looking white and pristine. Unlike the view from my office, where it's raining and everything looks muddy and dull.

Plenty of shunting over night, and a fresh coat of snow on the hoppers and boxcars in the foreground storage roads. The signal box (?) and the shunters bothy look especially inviting in this weather.

This elok was motoring through the station, quite the fastest freight I've seen...

post-238-039494400 1292490549_thumb.jpg

so... who's modelling Plattling then? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps we should have an RMWeb forum day trip....

Nice idea but according to DB timetable site you could leave St Pancras International on a Wednesday at 08:55 and arrive Plattling at 21:56. Which means the return would have to be the next day on the Thursday at 08:00 and arrive St Pancras Internation at 21:03.

Maybe we would need a day in Plattling which makes it a three day trip! Still it certainly sounds like it would be fun although my wife would not be happy at the cost!

Chris

• Like 1

Since the timetable change there seems to be more multi-coloured locomotives through Plattling? Rather than the mainly red ones before last week

I'm not sure what locomotive this is. It looks sort of like that Porsche livery, but then it's not a Taurus, so I don't know

2pycqwz.jpg

Going back to an earlier comment - how are we going to model this. As with anything good, it ain't gonna be there forever, and its just too much a part of life to let it go easily.

So, my thoughts are:

N - if trying to do the whole site - but its still going to be huge? How does one do catenary in N?

TT - I don't know enough about to speculate

HO - Would be even huger (Sp?wink.gif) so I guess might have to be a "layout design element".

One thought I had was that actually the modellogenic bit might be looking back towards the camera - with the signalbox/shunters' bothy, the loop siding in the foreground - were these originally the access to the burnt out engine shed? and so on. An excuse to have the shunters parked up, and perhaps the start of the fan of sidings - really need to see what it looks like out to the bottom left of the picture - some of the you tube clips help.

Maybe there's a templot genius out there who could overlay the google earth photos!

• RMweb Gold

Going back to an earlier comment - how are we going to model this. As with anything good, it ain't gonna be there forever, and its just too much a part of life to let it go easily.

So, my thoughts are:

N - if trying to do the whole site - but its still going to be huge? How does one do catenary in N?

...and I thought that I was mad, thinking just that!:)

N catenary is not a problem (if you don't mind the grossly overscale wires). Sommerfelt do some basic stuff as most of the overhead here looks to be large spans.

Viessmann do some lovely double wired and triple wired posts (if a bit expensive!)

I reckon that the main viewing angle could be as 'from the webcam', a view that we now know so well!

• Like 1