The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I looked out of Mum's kitchen window tonight....

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

I usually call in to see her most days as she is 86 and her kitchen window has a view down to part of the harbour.

As I stood there I saw a large bowsprit followed by a tall mast with several yards attached come into view.

So I went down to the Quayside and saw this ship - MIR - a Russian tall ship which has come to Blyth for a renewable energy festival this weekend.

There is a railway connection to this - the grassy embankment seen in the first photo is the incline for the road and railway up to the Alcan terminal, now served by GBRf.

post-5613-128155385481_thumb.jpg

Mir at Blyth Aug 2010 2

post-5613-128155386273_thumb.jpg

Mir at Blyth Aug 2010 4

So who is going to make a model for their harbour?

David

• RMweb Gold

When I was but a lad, say 45 years ago, I had a plastic construction kit of this - I never finished it!

edit - except I couldn't have done as it was only built in 1987 apparently. I wonder why the name rings a bell - I definitely had a kit of a Russian sailing ship. I shall make further enquiries.

.....I wonder why the name rings a bell .....

Phil, maybe you remember the name from when the Tall Ships Atlantic race set off from Southampton in 2000 ?

Mir was one of the 50 or so Sailing Ships taking part.

I remember watching the spectacular "Parade of Sail" passing down Southampton Water.

Archived