Hornby Magazine September 2010 No 39

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

I got my copy of the September issue of Hornby magazine this morning and I've had a quick read through and was slightly baffled by an article on adding a sound chip to a Hornby Standard Class 4 4-6-0.

The author of the article, Paul Chetter, says there is not a lot of room to fit a chip and speaker and describes how he fitted a 21 pin Zimo MX640 decoder to the eight pin socket using a 21 pin break out board from ESU, he had to solder an 8 pin plug to the break out board attach that to the 8 pin socket then attach the decoder to the break out board.

To me the article could confuse some when a standard Zimo 8 pin could do the job with no hassle and could make the fitting of sound chips look more complicated than it is.

• RMweb Premium

Can't yet comment, as I haven't got mine yet. Mrs 45156 has promised to pick it up when she's out today. If she gets one, I'll post a full contents list unless somebody else gets there first.

• RMweb Gold

Other articles:-

Bachmann Craven's DMU - First Review

Lamps: Make them Glow

Scenes from Life: Scrap Yard

Railway Realism: Overground Underground

Dean Sidings: Killin 'Pug' -

Surburban Coaches for 'OO'

Hatton Parkway Part 3

Layouts:

Ackthorpe

Abbey Road

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Took me a while to work out the point of the Killin Pug, seemed to be just replacing the Hornby body with a almost identical resin one until I spotted the extra rear wheelset :lol: :lol: Might do one of them one day although I'd prefer a more high end chassis to work with ....

• RMweb Premium

Just got my copy

Layouts are

Abbey Road - London Underground

Ackthorpe - Yorkshire steam 1955-60

Carlington - Late Steam/early diesel North East

Also

our own Ian M's Hatton Parkway

A piece on making street lights

A look at London Transport "overground"

A scrapyard in Scenes from Life

Model Suburban Coaches

Reviews including the new Bachmann 105 dmu

Reality Check on the 105s

The article mentioned above about fitting sound DCC to a 4MT

Parker's Guide - building the Killin Pug

Readers' Projects

The usual letters, news, and editorials.

I'm off to read mine for a couple of hours now!

Looks a good read this month

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Took me a while to work out the point of the Killin Pug, seemed to be just replacing the Hornby body with a almost identical resin one until I spotted the extra rear wheelset :lol: :lol: Might do one of them one day although I'd prefer a more high end chassis to work with ....

I thought the same too until i saw the extra wheel set. The downside of using the Hornby pug chassis of course is the poor low speed controllability and the very high top speed! I think i read though that he's intending continuing the article by looking at a better chassis.

• RMweb Gold

I got my copy of the September issue of Hornby magazine this morning and I've had a quick read through and was slightly baffled by an article on adding a sound chip to a Hornby Standard Class 4 4-6-0.

The author of the article, Paul Chetter, says there is not a lot of room to fit a chip and speaker and describes how he fitted a 21 pin Zimo MX640 decoder to the eight pin socket using a 21 pin break out board from ESU, he had to solder an 8 pin plug to the break out board attach that to the 8 pin socket then attach the decoder to the break out board.

To me the article could confuse some when a standard Zimo 8 pin could do the job with no hassle and could make the fitting of sound chips look more complicated than it is.

Having reread and had a dialogue with Paul, I realised in my initial quick read of the article I missed an important paragraph that states he could have used an 8-pin chip! So apologies to Paul for mis-representing your article and perhaps I should have gone to Specsavers!

Paul keep up the good work.

Regards,

Peter

I sent my wife out in the worst of the weather to get me a copy of this issue, specifically for the London Underground articles (That will teach her to get a term time contract !) and I was not disappointed. Abbey road is a very nice layout, even if these pictures don't do it a lot of favours. The photoshopping is very poor and some cropping would have helped as well. There was nothing new in the other LU article, but if you are new to the topic, it could be of interest.

Its nice to see us minority modellers getting some coverage now and again. (.....Cue shouts of protest from other minority groups with very little RTR...)

Intersesting that Carlington is based on the same C J Freezer layout plan (Yarlington Junction) as my layout Wencombe, by making it double track, getting rid of the branch and making ther Shed area larger it is now obviously an urban mainline layout where as Wencombe staying nearer to C J's idea is much more a rural junction in the middle of nowhere (although it is a red route rather like the Kingswear barnch).

Archived